"new" BP6 with new coolers

Cool cases? Different resistors? More airflow? Show us...
purrkur
Linux Guru

"new" BP6 with new coolers

Post by purrkur »

It has been awhile somebody posted something new around here :)

I have just brought my latest BP6 into action. It took me quite a while because I wanted to find coolers that could fit on the Celerons without lying on top of the ZIF lever (the metal type that sticks up). It took me quite a while but I managed to find older Q-Tec for older socket 360 and Socket A processors.

This board was absolutely spotless when I bought it and the caps were all in mint condition (to the eye at least). What I decided to do was to do only minimal changes to the board and seeing how far I can get with overclocking without risking stability.

So the only change I did was to change Q6 and putting a large passive cooler on the BX, along with the Q-Tec coolers:

And I haven't even updated the BIOS yet! I am running 2x366MHz@550MHz (see my new sig).

So how is it turning out? Well, the voltages are rock stable so the caps must be doing a decent job. The temp between the cpu's is 1-2 degrees apart at the most but I am not too worried about it because it could also be caused by something like the sensors being different distances from the CPU's themselves. Here are my sensors reading (the computer is idle):

Code: Select all

sensors
eeprom-i2c-0-52
Adapter: SMBus PIIX4 adapter at 5000
Memory type:            SDR SDRAM DIMM
Memory size (MB):       256

eeprom-i2c-0-51

eeprom-i2c-0-50

w83782d-i2c-0-2d
VCore 1:   +2.21 V  (min =  +2.10 V, max =  +2.30 V)
Vtt:       +1.52 V  (min =  +1.42 V, max =  +1.57 V)
+3.3V:     +3.36 V  (min =  +3.14 V, max =  +3.46 V)
+5V:       +5.13 V  (min =  +4.73 V, max =  +5.24 V)
+12V:     +12.28 V  (min = +10.82 V, max = +13.19 V)
-12V:     -11.95 V  (min = -13.18 V, max = -10.88 V)
-5V:       -5.15 V  (min =  -5.25 V, max =  -4.75 V)
V5SB:      +5.21 V  (min =  +4.73 V, max =  +5.24 V)
VCore2:    +2.24 V  (min =  +2.10 V, max =  +2.30 V)
CPU2 fan: 4326 RPM  (min =  664 RPM, div = 8)
CPU1 fan: 4115 RPM  (min =  664 RPM, div = 8)
CPU1 temp:   +30 C  (high =   +60 C, hyst =   +55 C)   sensor = thermistor
CPU2 temp: +29.0 C  (high =   +60 C, hyst =   +55 C)   sensor = thermistor
MB temp:   +35.5 C  (high =   +60 C, hyst =   +55 C)   sensor = thermistor
vid:      +2.200 V  (VRM Version 8.2)
alarms:   Chassis intrusion detection                      ALARM
beep_enable:
          Sound alarm enabled
The fans on the coolers are spinning quite fast but they are not so loud as to be annoying (yet at least). I might try to fit a 60 to 80 mm adapter and running larger fans on this setup. More information on the Q-Tec coolers can be found here.

My CPU's are not all that happy at 550MHz though. I have also tested them on a caps modified BP6 and didn't get any better result. Linux kernel panics if I use 2.0 volts. The board boots at 2.1 volts but it will be flakey. At 2.2 volts the computer boots and works just fine. I did run a CPU burn-in test and it ended up freezing the board after about 7 minutes. It was a bit strange though since the temperature had stabilized at around 46 Deg. C. so I was hoping it would pull through. I am pretty sure that it is the CPU's that are simply not happy at this speed. I have had them running with 100% stability at 523MHz though so that is probably what I will end up doing. I want to do some tests first before I clock it down though. I guess my sig. will end up showing how things will end up. I might try to get my hands on a couple of 366's that can run at 550 without raising the voltage if I bump into that somewhere.
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
Debian Linux stable with 2.4.8 kernel
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

Looks great. Maybe not as "Kool" as Golden Orbs, but in my book its the results that matter most.

On the CPUs my guess is maybe one of the cpus may have been cooked previously in its life. Have you tried pairing them with other cpus to see of only one is failing at hi OC?

BTW, I love that HS on the BX, however I feel it should have active cooling for dual OCing.

To much drama in my life to even mess with ANY pcs since April. I envy your comittment to finding time like you do.
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

davd_bob wrote:Looks great. Maybe not as "Kool" as Golden Orbs, but in my book its the results that matter most.
I agree. However, it is almost impossible to find decent coolers that fit these days so I'll just go with what I can find and hope the results are good.
davd_bob wrote:On the CPUs my guess is maybe one of the cpus may have been cooked previously in its life. Have you tried pairing them with other cpus to see of only one is failing at hi OC?
Thanks for the tip! I had not thought of that. I don't have another 366 lying around (just 400's) so that type of testing will be a bit difficult. It is a good point that would be worth looking into if I get my hands on another 366.
davd_bob wrote:BTW, I love that HS on the BX, however I feel it should have active cooling for dual OCing.
Yeah, it is pretty sweet and it fits on most chipset chips since it is possible to move the "arms" that hold the pins that go into the motherboard. I applied some paste on it as well and it is a definite improvement over the standard BX heatsink. I have also tested active cooling on the BX but I haven't seen any better results than what I have reached with this heatsink. In my opinion, having a tall sucker like this one beats having a small whining fan.

Speaking of whining fans, the two 60x60mm fans on the Q-Tec heatsinks are not extremely loud, but they do emit a higher pitch sound than 80x80mm fans that can get tiresome after a while. I guess next project will be buying a pair of adapters so I can fit larger, slower moving fans.
davd_bob wrote:To much drama in my life to even mess with ANY pcs since April. I envy your comittment to finding time like you do.
Hehe. I understand what you are saying. Funny thing is that I had not done anything with pics either since April so that was one of the things that I worked on yesterday evening since I was feeling guilty. We are in the middle of renovating our house (bathroom and kitchen) so everything is a mess around here so I decided to work on my BP6's for awhile to get my mind off things.

I ended up doing some testing yesterday before I went to sleep. I clocked my fsb down to 95MHz (running the CPU's at 523 MHz) and I also dropped the voltage down to 2.0 volts again. This is what our buddy Wolfram is doing so that is why I decided to run with 95MHz. I have also worked with that speed before when running these two 366's with good results. Before turning in for the night I decided to run the CPU burn program I have (called burnP6) on both CPU's. After 6 hours continuous use the computer was still happily doing it's thing. I am getting a few APIC errors from the kernel but with this board it is almost expected so I am not worried about it. Here is proof:

The system monitor on the far right is the BP6 while the one on the left is my webserver that I keep an eye on. The temperature was stable at just over 40 degrees C (it was also cooler yesterday evening compared to middle of the day when I was playing around with 550MHz speeds).
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

Ooops! Guess it is time to update my sig again!
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
24seven
IRC Lurker

Post by 24seven »

looks ace!