-100ºc Dual Evaporator That Cools The Motherboard

Cool cases? Different resistors? More airflow? Show us...
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

-100ºc Dual Evaporator That Cools The Motherboard

Post by InactiveX »

All the superlatives I know don't even begin to cover this:
I'm a student at Iowa State University, I have two degrees, on in Mechanical Engineering and another in Industrial. I went to my professors with a idea of a dual evaporator cascade system that will cool both the CPU and GPU down to -100ºc...
Read more
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Like BP6.com? Not a member?
Then why the hell not? It's great!
-> BP6.com Membership <-
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

Man, that is nothing. I used a pair of dilythium crystals from the starship enterprise to supercharge my Sinclair ZX Spectrum]/url]. It is currently powerful enough to be listed at the [url=http://www.top500.org/]TOP500 Supercomputer Site.

Just for thrills, I got myself ten tape players and connected them to the ZX in RAID 0. Man, this machine positively flies!!!

:)
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
Debian Linux stable with 2.4.8 kernel
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

Whoah! Props to you!

Watch out those rubber keys don't melt. :lol:
Like BP6.com? Not a member?
Then why the hell not? It's great!
-> BP6.com Membership <-
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

InactiveX wrote:Watch out those rubber keys don't melt. :lol:
The "dead flesh" keys are still hanging in there. I haven't tried Warp 7 though :twisted:
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

I wonder if his system cools the room as well? :D

Does anyone have a BP6 mobo to send him? :mrgreen:
-Derek
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

Maybe someone should suggest to him to try
cross-hatch injection on the PSU.
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
KliK

Post by KliK »

as a Mechanical engineer, I do think it's the stupidest thing to do...on -100degC CPUs maybe work...but for sure, you have to turn them ON on normal temp...and then lower the temp gradually, not to have termal shock in component!

also, the MBO is the another problem, 'cause the operationg condition under which MBO works is sthg like from 5 to 55degC with 0 to 95% of humidity...of course this is what the manufacturer says, but -100degC is sthg more than able to do!!!

another probelm is condensing the moisture on the motherboard or ice, from the humidity in the air...and that is the problem that could frie up the whole circuits!!!

also, the materials used for computers aren't tried on -100degC...and when you get the temp. down, they do become fragile...even fragile enough that the clips of the CPU heatsink might break or shather the pins on S370, which are made od plastic...

so, it's stupid to make sthg like that machine, for a computer...especially if you use so much power, that xou could easily supplie 10 more computers...there just isn't any viable proof for doing this, exept just to see if it's posible?! :D
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

'xactly what I was thinkin' :screwy:

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
P-III 850@100
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

well..

if you ask me it's stupidity..

so much college education and not enough sense to put it to good use..

what was this guy thinking ?

you would warp the board at temps like that..

cause the wafer material the board is made of shrinks alot differently than the copper used for conductors..

then you got moisture.. freezing..

and if you cool a CPU too much.. it won't work.. at least not at any efficeincy to warrant an attempt like that..

hell.. i'd be suprised if it lasted more than 10 minutes..

again.. what the hell was this guy thinking?
!!! WARNING !!!
The following forums: www.bp6.com
are infected with the following VIRUS(s): Kuun.infected.all.posts.Win2K.user

The following IRC servers has been exploited: irc.bp6.com
with the Following Exploit: Kuun.lurks.using.mIRC.v5.82.exploit
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

Come on guys, where is your sense of adventure? Whatever happened to messing about just for shits 'n giggles? I say that if he has the money, time and equipment to mess about, even though it may not make sense to everybody else then I'd say go ahead! I love reading about wacky stuff like that!
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

Anyone dedicated to a BP6 board in todays world should appreciate this comment. It fits most of us and the way we discribe the guy who designed the -100 system.

"A person's definition of a fanitic is someone more enthusastic then they are."

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
P-III 850@100
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

I'd love a dual water cooling system.
semi-super cooling system to keep the fish-tank reservoir at a nice even 15 degrees.
then I'd clock my BP6's to the max, 78-80 fsb no prob
cooling pipes on northbridge, cpus, vga, anything I'd get a water pipe to sit on.
it's just that the boxen would be so heavy, and you have to be able to separate the installed water cooling from the add-on super-cooling so you can move the box to work on it.
bp6's 3 x dual @ 533
. . . . 1 x dual @ 466
. . . . 1 sngl @ 400
[( 2 x dual xeon 2.4ghz )]
[( 2 x dual xeon 2.66ghz )]
[( 1 x 2.4C ghz )]
[( 1 x 2.4B ghz )]
[( 1 x dual AMD 1800MP )]
[( 1 x P4 1600 )]
[( 1 x 500 ppga )]
3 x piii 866
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

Davd Rave,
If they would have used your design at "Three Mile Island" nuclear plant they could have prevented the melt down.

Also I want to try that design on a laptop. Tell me how to do it.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
P-III 850@100
KliK

Post by KliK »

purrkur wrote:Come on guys, where is your sense of adventure? Whatever happened to messing about just for shits 'n giggles? I say that if he has the money, time and equipment to mess about, even though it may not make sense to everybody else then I'd say go ahead! I love reading about wacky stuff like that!

a guy lost his girlfriend for messing with that experiment...hasn't got a job and all he think about is making this experiment work...looks like someone lost his marbles!
KliK

Post by KliK »

davd_bob wrote:Davd Rave,
If they would have used your design at "Three Mile Island" nuclear plant they could have prevented the melt down.

Also I want to try that design on a laptop. Tell me how to do it.

well a 3mile island is a nice experiment...just to see how much the americans could push their nucs! :D after hitting some 110% they couldn't get the rods down anymore...and a meltdown is imanent...
but the experiment worked, 'cause they flooded the reactor water (i think it was brom water), and only the reactor breached...not the outher shell!

on Černobil they they came to the 118%...the rods couldn't get down anymore...and several coolant graphite pipes disconnected from the reactor...very soon the reacotr breached in big bam, which got the roof of the reactor & the most of the building...
and experiment was a failure, 'cause of the enviroment breach!

in both experiment a military was involved and their stupid question: "how much can we get from this reactor?!"
it is not the stupid question if you ask about tunning a car...tunning a computer...but dong that on Černobil or 3mile island is stupid!!! just waiting for a world wide catasrophy to happen!!!
KliK

Post by KliK »

Dave Rave wrote:I'd love a dual water cooling system.
semi-super cooling system to keep the fish-tank reservoir at a nice even 15 degrees.
then I'd clock my BP6's to the max, 78-80 fsb no prob
cooling pipes on northbridge, cpus, vga, anything I'd get a water pipe to sit on.
it's just that the boxen would be so heavy, and you have to be able to separate the installed water cooling from the add-on super-cooling so you can move the box to work on it.

even better, to cool the fishtank in refridgerator on 4°C (all of you which know thermodinamics, know what am i talking about, when speeking about water!)...feeding them to the case with waterblocks...
anybody got a spare fridge?!
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

I want to feed the cold water to a holding tank where it mixes, so that it is cool water, which is fed into each boxes local water supply.

so each box can be independent, but can be piped into active colder cooling too
bp6's 3 x dual @ 533
. . . . 1 x dual @ 466
. . . . 1 sngl @ 400
[( 2 x dual xeon 2.4ghz )]
[( 2 x dual xeon 2.66ghz )]
[( 1 x 2.4C ghz )]
[( 1 x 2.4B ghz )]
[( 1 x dual AMD 1800MP )]
[( 1 x P4 1600 )]
[( 1 x 500 ppga )]
3 x piii 866
KliK

Post by KliK »

Dave Rave wrote:I want to feed the cold water to a holding tank where it mixes, so that it is cool water, which is fed into each boxes local water supply.

so each box can be independent, but can be piped into active colder cooling too

well you can allways take your water pipelines through your reservoir...and when you use the water, a new fresh COLD will stream through the pipes and cool down the reservoar! :lol:

wait that is a nice idea...but a dad would kill me if i go into plumbing for computer...hehehe :lol: :lol:

also be sure to take some cars heater for cooling down the reservoir water...although through the winter you can use the colder air, but you must have treated water and a sealed reservoar!!! :D
g0fvt

Post by g0fvt »

Shame the electrolytic capacitors will not work at that temperature.... even ones rated for very low temperature suffer from high ESR when cold.

A nice thought though......