Splicing HDD LED

Cool cases? Different resistors? More airflow? Show us...
ShadesOfGrey

Splicing HDD LED

Post by ShadesOfGrey »

OK, now that I've 'replaced' the HPT366 with a Promise controller (Ref.), I've run into a bit of a dilemma. I want to be able to connect the HDD LED to more than one controller (i.e. the Promise and the BX or the Promise and the HPT366, or the Promise and whatever). Or simply add one or more LEDs for each potential controller.

Thing is, I just don't know how to go about it. Can I simple splice another connector (or two) on the HDD LED leads, or do I need some additional electronics? I'd add additional LEDs, but the problem with that is where to put them? An ideal solution would be a multi-color LED that had leads for each color that could then be connected to each controller... But I don't know if such a thing exists or where to get it. I've done some googling with little success.

For those of you in the states,
Happy Thanksgiving!
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

are you sure the hdd light isn't on already ?

isn't it (possibly) an ide activation light, not a mobo ide0/1 light ?
Billl

Re: Splicing HDD LED

Post by Billl »

ShadesOfGrey wrote:OK, now that I've 'replaced' the HPT366 with a Promise controller (Ref.), I've run into a bit of a dilemma. I want to be able to connect the HDD LED to more than one controller (i.e. the Promise and the BX or the Promise and the HPT366, or the Promise and whatever). Or simply add one or more LEDs for each potential controller.

Thing is, I just don't know how to go about it. Can I simple splice another connector (or two) on the HDD LED leads, or do I need some additional electronics? I'd add additional LEDs, but the problem with that is where to put them? An ideal solution would be a multi-color LED that had leads for each color that could then be connected to each controller... But I don't know if such a thing exists or where to get it. I've done some googling with little success.

For those of you in the states,
Happy Thanksgiving!
Yes you can just splice in an additional lead. just becareful to get the polarity the same. If you don't one will cancel out the other if they were both activated at the same time. And of course the one with the bad polarity won't light at all. They do make Led's that do more then one color but I've never worked with one. Id try Digikeys site they should have some information on them. What would be perfect is an Led with two sets of leads. Most likely it would have 3 leads. A common and the two colors. Hope this helps you some.

Billl
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

yes, i have spliced the HDD and power LED's on my BP6 server, as i have dual cases..

there are red/green led's with 3 legs, those are neat but would defeat the purpose.

be careful not to add too many LED's as you will overload the circuitry powering the LED's (the number of leds you can safely add in parallel i do not know)
!!! WARNING !!!
The following forums: www.bp6.com
are infected with the following VIRUS(s): Kuun.infected.all.posts.Win2K.user

The following IRC servers has been exploited: irc.bp6.com
with the Following Exploit: Kuun.lurks.using.mIRC.v5.82.exploit