PIII mods (one more time)

Cool cases? Different resistors? More airflow? Show us...
jaybird

PIII mods (one more time)

Post by jaybird »

Ok, I've desided to step back into the "fray" as it were, I'm modding my 3rd BP6 as we speak.

However, I'm stepping more into the "mire" if you will, this time I'm using a "ver 0.41"board (got it dirt cheap on ebay $19.00 + shp & h).

So far, I have done the "EC-10 mod", changed out the Q6 regulator and added the 1000 uf cap, done the "stabilization of Vcc 2.5" (per "http://geta.yoh-tech.com), and the required "mods" to the ZIF socket wiring.

As it turns out, as long as you have a steady hand and patients, you can do this for under $15 USD (not including CPU's, NEO370's, and heatsinks of course :wink: ).

Lets' see what happens from here :wink:

OBTW, if you haven't been here in a while or are new to "BP6.com" I got real lucky the first time around (and "yes", these are real numbers!)

dual PIII's, 1100E's (1100/100/256/1.75V) running @110 fsb for 4 years! (fried cpu's and caps, bad PS and forgot to turn off TEC on BX one night :cry: ), oh well, such is life.

Don't know if I can ever duplicate previous system but will try.

Why? BECAUSE ITS' THERE!

Regards,

jaybird

(yeah, my wife thinks I'm crazy to!)
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

:!: you da man :!:
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

Go Jay go! Don't forget the pics!!!
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
Debian Linux stable with 2.4.8 kernel
jaybird

Post by jaybird »

Hi guys!

Just finished the EC10 and vtt reg mods as well as the "stabilization of Vcc 2.5".

The other thing I did not do was ground the - side of the cap tied in with the regulator mod to the - side of one of the cap located close to the old regulator. I'v found that just by heating the caps they some times pull apart as you are trying to move them, that's ok if you are removing and replacing them but I just didn't want to take any chances so I ran a wire from the - side of the cap to the back side of the board and connected it to the actual ground pin of the cap located next to the regulator.

The only "glitch" , when I started this I grabbed what I thought was a "ver. 0.40" board and after I started the mods found out it was a ver. 0.41!

I have a few BP6 "spares" laying around :wink: !

I did not replace all the caps as was done on the http://geta.yoh-tech.com web site for the Vcc 2.5 part of the mods, lets see what happens.

Will take LOTS OF PICS when I get home, keep your fingers crossed, if it works I might consider doing the mods on a regular basis for other BP6ers if they are interested.

Regards,

jaybird
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

jaybird wrote:Hi guys!

Just finished the EC10 and vtt reg mods as well as the "stabilization of Vcc 2.5".

The other thing I did not do was ground the - side of the cap tied in with the regulator mod to the - side of one of the cap located close to the old regulator. I'v found that just by heating the caps they some times pull apart as you are trying to move them, that's ok if you are removing and replacing them but I just didn't want to take any chances so I ran a wire from the - side of the cap to the back side of the board and connected it to the actual ground pin of the cap located next to the regulator.

The only "glitch" , when I started this I grabbed what I thought was a "ver. 0.40" board and after I started the mods found out it was a ver. 0.41!

I have a few BP6 "spares" laying around :wink: !

I did not replace all the caps as was done on the http://geta.yoh-tech.com web site for the Vcc 2.5 part of the mods, lets see what happens.

Will take LOTS OF PICS when I get home, keep your fingers crossed, if it works I might consider doing the mods on a regular basis for other BP6ers if they are interested.

Regards,

jaybird
now THAT caught my eyes as i don't have the time nor desire to mod my bp6's anymore
!!! WARNING !!!
The following forums: www.bp6.com
are infected with the following VIRUS(s): Kuun.infected.all.posts.Win2K.user

The following IRC servers has been exploited: irc.bp6.com
with the Following Exploit: Kuun.lurks.using.mIRC.v5.82.exploit
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

kuun wrote: now THAT caught my eyes as i don't have the time nor desire to mod my bp6's anymore
I am watching with interest since I got an unmodified BP6 at home that I will do some mods on as soon as I get the time. The board has caps that look like they are in mint condition (no bulges or other visual issues) but the board is pretty unstable.

But time, that elusive factor that constantly messes up my life!
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
Debian Linux stable with 2.4.8 kernel
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

I keep on saying that I’ll modify my BP6 once it’s retired from server duty… But the machine just doesn’t quit. Looks like I’ll be waiting quite a while longer :D
-Derek
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

*magically makes the server crash and makes derek decide to mod it and put it back into server duty*
!!! WARNING !!!
The following forums: www.bp6.com
are infected with the following VIRUS(s): Kuun.infected.all.posts.Win2K.user

The following IRC servers has been exploited: irc.bp6.com
with the Following Exploit: Kuun.lurks.using.mIRC.v5.82.exploit
jaybird

NEW PIC"S, jaybird's "new" PIII BP6 board mod

Post by jaybird »

Sorry it took so long, wife had "other" ideas for use of my time :wink: .

Go to members photo gallaries, jaybird, there you will find 12 pics of both the old and the new modded boards.

The first 4 are new (see text notes), the remainder are of my first PIII conversion that ran for over 3 1/2 years.

Sorry they are not as clear as I would like (old digital 4mp camera will not focus that close, these were modded in PhotoShop).

Will hopefully "christen" this board soon (If wife would just leave for a few hours!).

Regards,

jaybird