Capacitor problems?

Cool cases? Different resistors? More airflow? Show us...
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

My recent BP6 death in the family of three also went from being stable (one or less crash per week); to having clusters of crashes (5-10 in the same day) then going a 5-7 days 'till the next cluster; to just no way to boot whatsoever. This came on over a period of a month & the one CPU capacitor was already clearly buldging at the begining of this month.

I'm so happy with the $40 ACORP Dual P3/RAID board I swapped in to replace the BP6, that I may NEVER repair the BP6!!
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

RRLedford wrote:I'm so happy with the $40 ACORP Dual P3/RAID board I swapped in to replace the BP6, that I may NEVER repair the BP6!!
Don't dump it, donate it! :-)

I'm sure someone would enjoy seeing if they could revive it.
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

InactiveX wrote:
RRLedford wrote:I'm so happy with the $40 ACORP Dual P3/RAID board I swapped in to replace the BP6, that I may NEVER repair the BP6!!
Don't dump it, donate it! :-)
That is an excellent idea, Inactive. In-fact, BP6.Com needs some BP6s for testing PIII modifications!
g0fvt

Post by g0fvt »

Just a quick update to say both my VP6 and BP6 have been running 24/7 for a few weeks without being rebooted, will need to reboot to do Windows updates though soon. Both boards have 4700uF capacitors from Maplin fitted in place of the original 1000 and 1500uF capacitors also the capacitor at ec10 in the BP6 is now also 4700uF.

I did have a stupid problem with the BP6 when I rebuilt it, it refused to install 2000 or XP but was happy with many flavours of Linux...
I eventually discovered the Dimms were not fitted in the same order as when I originally built the machine.... putting them back into the original order resolved all the problems.

Love the new look of the message board.
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

g0fvt wrote:Just a quick update to say both my VP6 and BP6 have been running 24/7 for a few weeks without being rebooted, will need to reboot to do Windows updates though soon. Both boards have 4700uF capacitors from Maplin fitted in place of the original 1000 and 1500uF capacitors also the capacitor at ec10 in the BP6 is now also 4700uF.

I did have a stupid problem with the BP6 when I rebuilt it, it refused to install 2000 or XP but was happy with many flavours of Linux...
I eventually discovered the Dimms were not fitted in the same order as when I originally built the machine.... putting them back into the original order resolved all the problems.

Love the new look of the message board.
Are you overclocking?
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
g0fvt

Post by g0fvt »

I am overclocking but only to 75Mhz fsb, to be honest the BP6 was happy at this clock with standard capacitors. However, I have found it can be pushed a bit further with the new capacitors, will let you know when I find where the edge is....
g0fvt

Post by g0fvt »

Quick update... BP6 is running at 80Mhz fsb as I type this, running Winmx and playing a divx movie over the network. (These are 466s with oem type hsf) ... gutted I didn't do the capacitors while it was watercooled with peltiers! Will inevitably get tempted to push fsb up a wee bit more, will probably break my XP again......
vinman

Post by vinman »

Can anyone report on the brand of bad capacitors replaced on Bp6's ? Were they green "TAYEH" 1500 ? How big are the 4700 microfarad caps you used compared to the 1500 microfarads?
g0fvt

Post by g0fvt »

Hi, the 4700uF capacitors are a little larger in diameter than the original capacitors also a lot taller. I am using stock heatsink fans so no problem with clearance around sockets. I am afraid I guessed the diameter of the original caps as being 10mm when they were in fact 8mm, the relacements were listed as 10mm diameter but on receiving them I found them to be 12mm.

I used a lot of these capacitors to repair the BP6, my VP6 and a friends HP. They are a tight fit but if you crank the legs of the capacitors they can be fitted neatly. The capacitors are engineered for low esr so they are an ideal type for this application apart from the physical size.

My computers were both very sick before I did the work so I am delighted to have them running happily again, if yours is running OKish I would suggest you take your time and get some 10mm diameter capacitors of perhaps 2200uF. Changing the capacitors is a bit of a fiddly job, a friend and I did mine, it was very easy to have one of us on one side of the pcb with the iron and the other with the desoldering pump on the other side.

I have 2 or 3 more BP6s to do so I will use the rest of my stock of the 4700uF capacitors...
24seven
IRC Lurker

Caps

Post by 24seven »

Hi I live in the UK and am finding it hard to find a supplier for the following capacitors: -
1500uF 6.3V Electrolytic

I have managed to find some 1000uF 16V caps I also need on RS Components, but cannot find the above caps any where, can any one help me with this?
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

Like BP6.com? Not a member?
Then why the hell not? It's great!
-> BP6.com Membership <-
24seven
IRC Lurker

Post by 24seven »

Cheers!
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

4700MFD caps in place of all the 1000MFD and 1500MFD caps?

this is intriguing

i might try this when i use my second BP6 to do the 1.4ghz celeron 2
!!! WARNING !!!
The following forums: www.bp6.com
are infected with the following VIRUS(s): Kuun.infected.all.posts.Win2K.user

The following IRC servers has been exploited: irc.bp6.com
with the Following Exploit: Kuun.lurks.using.mIRC.v5.82.exploit
PDR60

Post by PDR60 »

I realize this is an old thread but I have a few Observations. I have replaced many many caps on motherboards. My latest was a "throw away" from work. Its an older IBM P3 out of a 200zx I think. Anyway It hav almost every cap exploded. After replacing 14 Caps on the board it runs fine. In fact My son ran it for about 2 months without even a single lock up or reboot.

My BP6's haven't had any cap failures yet. I find that kind of strange since Thay have been overclocked since day one. My web server (a BP6) did loose its IDE controllers but a Compaq Smart-2DH solved that problem. As of this writing its been up for 75 days without a reboot. It only rebooted because of a a 6 hour power failure. the ups just couldn'tr hang.

I guess what I'm trying to say is its not a big deal. I use a Solder Sucker to clear all the solder from the holes then just slip a new cap in and solder it in place. Not a big deal. Besides what have you got to loose?? Your Motherboard is Already broke can you really do any more damage?? i guess you could but most folks can handle a soldering iron ok. make shure you don't use too much solder and an iron thats 25watss or less. I use a 15 watt. You can get your caps from www.mouser.com along with everything else needed. For less then $10 you can most of the time replace every cap on the board. Give it a try its not a big deal.
g0fvt

Post by g0fvt »

No follow-ups for a while... I have not got any pics of my VP6 with replacement caps to hand but this is the BP6 board, still running strong after many years... http://www.lisney.org.uk no longer watercooled or peltiered but still overclocks reasonably.
mobotecho

Any of thoses boards still alive that need caps?

Post by mobotecho »

Well it might be a ltttle late now but you can get the exact replacement caps in ultra low ESR 8mm and 10mm 1000uf 1200uf 1500uf 2200uf 3300uf caps cheap now. Depending on qnty you need they start at .29 to .39 cent and go up with the value of the capacitors. www.computekinc.us
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

contact Abit RMA and they will fix the board. very low cost but you have to ship it in and it takes weeks to be returned to you.
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
g0fvt

Still running!

Post by g0fvt »

Hi, just an update to say my BP6 and VP6 with mods are still running, the VP6 still runs 24/7 but the BP6 has sprouted a dualhead video card and runs ham radio stuff most of the time, also provides an ethernet port to run my Mac which has no 802.11g of it's own.

Sadly despite being obsessed with overclocking at one time I have kind of settled with these machines, so no major upgrades for maybe 4 years or so....

Seems quite trick to have the radio gear remote controlled with the virtual radio panel on one monitor and PSK31 running on the other monitor.. altogether wierder running VNC.

I hope some of you are still enjoying you BP6s as much as I still enjoy mine.......
g0fvt

Still running!

Post by g0fvt »

Hi, just an update to say my BP6 and VP6 with mods are still running, the VP6 still runs 24/7 but the BP6 has sprouted a dualhead video card and runs ham radio stuff most of the time, also provides an ethernet port to run my Mac which has no 802.11g of it's own.

Sadly despite being obsessed with overclocking at one time I have kind of settled with these machines, so no major upgrades for maybe 4 years or so....

Seems quite trick to have the radio gear remote controlled with the virtual radio panel on one monitor and PSK31 running on the other monitor.. altogether wierder running VNC.

I hope some of you are still enjoying you BP6s as much as I still enjoy mine.......
g0fvt

Still running!

Post by g0fvt »

oops