Congrats Baja!

SETI Team :: https://setiathome.berkeley.edu/team_di ... amid=30229

Moderator: HAL6000

uallas5

Congrats Baja!

Post by uallas5 »

Congrats on taking over the #1 spot Baja, definitely a job well done.

HAL, any idea when you're unit "vacation" ends?

I might be having one of those vacations soon, looks like the company I work for is going under. The majority (all but 2) of my Seti and Cancer Research burning machines are there.

SETI machines at HOME:
AMD XP 1700+
AMD XP 1600+

SETI machines at WORK:
2 x AMD XP 2000+
Dual AMD XP 1800+
AMD Athlon 1.2GHz
AMD Athlon 800GHz (OC'd 550)
AMD Athlon 950GHz
P4 2.8GHz
Any builds for customers. (right now, 4 x P4 2.4GHz)

As you can see, I'm a big fan of AMD. Even though they're not making the fastest Desktop CPU anymore, I still think they give the best bang for you're buck. Unfortunately not a lot of overclocking with the summer heat.

And my BP6 is in my mom-in-law's basement until we can find a house and I can have a 'puter room again.
Last edited by uallas5 on Sat Aug 30, 2003 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I Know Good From Bad and Where to Get the Refill" - Mr. Harding.
alnielsen

Post by alnielsen »

I just noticed the change in position and would like to add my congratulations.
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

Most Xcellent!
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

Holy!! You're right!!

Hal, start crunching! :lol:
-Derek
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

hahaha.. poor hal
!!! WARNING !!!
The following forums: www.bp6.com
are infected with the following VIRUS(s): Kuun.infected.all.posts.Win2K.user

The following IRC servers has been exploited: irc.bp6.com
with the Following Exploit: Kuun.lurks.using.mIRC.v5.82.exploit
HAL6000
SETI Guru

Post by HAL6000 »

Well if you guys would like to pay my electric bill I can run about 120 per day at home, but the $500 electric bill would eat my ass.

I have just this one machine work on them when I have it on doing stuff. I only have about 40 wu's to send in on my home queue at the moment. I am just going to turn them in when it is at an even number for a while. I am probably going to dump them to seti when my queue hits 60.
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

HAL6000 wrote:Well if you guys would like to pay my electric bill I can run about 120 per day at home, but the $500 electric bill would eat my ass.

I have just this one machine work on them when I have it on doing stuff. I only have about 40 wu's to send in on my home queue at the moment. I am just going to turn them in when it is at an even number for a while. I am probably going to dump them to seti when my queue hits 60.
That is insanely expensive. Up here in Canada it’s pretty difficult to find a place where electricity is that costly (if a place even exists).
jives

Post by jives »

Ouch...I get mad when my Electric bills get near $150 and that's running 11 machines (most running Seti) and the AC on 100F+ days in 40% humidity in a house without hardly an insulation...

So far I've been defending my 7th place spot and buying time before someone over takes me...have to come up with a way to up WU or in 700 days I'll get passed ;)
uallas5

Post by uallas5 »

HAL6000 wrote:Well if you guys would like to pay my electric bill I can run about 120 per day at home, but the $500 electric bill would eat my ass.

Damn HAL, what kind of a home setup would that be? Sorry to hear that electrical would be so expensive, I was just wonderin if you had gotten a good job and you could burn units at work.
uallas5

Post by uallas5 »

Damn HAL, what kind of a home setup would that be? Sorry to hear that electrical would be so expensive, I was just wonderin if you had gotten a good job and you could burn units at work.
uallas5

Post by uallas5 »

HAL6000
SETI Guru

Post by HAL6000 »

I was thinking that it was only 6 times as much as oklahoma but i was reading the bill more and that is just the generation charges. After all of theor charges it comes out to like $0.10 per KWH, OK was $0.01 per KWH. I was running about a $40-$50 electric bill in OK. I am just glad it does nto get as hot as OK here and we have not needed to run the A/C. Not like we could afford to anyway.

Actually getting a job at all up here is a major P.I.T.A. The place I am working for now has like 8 computers that are really old and I can't get to them to put SETI on anyway :/

I keep trying to get one of these university IT jobs that keeps comming up but no luck so far.
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

Summers are cool but Winters might be...

Finding a good IT job isn't much fun in Lnk, NE :!:
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
alnielsen

Post by alnielsen »

No tech jobs in Chicago area also. Been out of work for 2 yrs. Finally in the past few months, i've finally gotten some temp work.
uallas5

Post by uallas5 »

Well, good luck searching HAL, hyperspace, alnielsen and anyone else, I'll be joining you guys in about a month or so. :(

Here in Boston, we're paying .14 KWH. OOOHHH De-regulation will improve the utilities beause competition is good. What a crock of s**t that is. Electicity has gone up close to 100% since they "improved" the utility industry.

(And I'd like to know is how'd I post 3 times by only hitting submit once! :? )
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

They improved the industry by fattening their paychecks :P

I dunno about the triple post thing... BP6.Com must be haunted or something.
-Derek
HAL6000
SETI Guru

Post by HAL6000 »

The odd parts is that OG&E, oklahomas main power company. they serve like 99% of the state by the peoples chioce, buys coal from PA and has it brought in by train.

If I could find a way I would buy power from my old elec co and just pay these people the transmissions charges. Altho the transmissions charges still cost more then the whole electric I was paying.

I watched something on TV about the big NY power outage the other day and they were saying that the US actually only uses about 20% of the capacity all of the plants can produce. It is just the transmission infrastructure that needs fixed.

The electric co here sucks too " oh you don't have any power but everyone around you does? we can have someone out tommarow between 12 and 4pm. " :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

Most of America's vital infrastructures need serious attention. Which requires serious cash for EACH infrastructure. We are talking in the billions for EACH.

We are going to need some very creative resource management in America to balance the "WAR" on everything with the REAL needs of Our Nation.

:cry: :D It is going to be: good and bad...
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
HAL6000
SETI Guru

Post by HAL6000 »

heh I just right by Lansdowne. I can go like 3 blocks and be in it. Lucky for me we don;t have ot pay for water in our apartment.