Is my computer screwed?

Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

First of all, go check all your components thoroughly and immediately before trying to power your computer up again. Disconnect power before you open up the case and don’t shock anything. A “pop and burnt smell”, sound’s like a capacitor blew (hence the “pop”).

Post back (preferably with pics) if you find anything.
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

Warghoul wrote:
Derek wrote:First of all, go check all your components thoroughly and immediately before trying to power your computer up again. Disconnect power before you open up the case and don’t shock anything. A “pop and burnt smell”, sound’s like a capacitor blew (hence the “pop”).

Post back (preferably with pics) if you find anything.
\

Already one step ahead of you. I have checked every component, and have found nothing out of the ordinary. The smell was coming from the power supply,I think.

If the power supply shelled out on me, is it possible for me to just buy a new one and use my good computer again? Or would it fry my mobo?
Yes, if all your hardware is functional then buying a new power supply (if it's the culprit) will solve your problem.
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

Warghoul wrote:
Derek wrote:
Warghoul wrote:\

Already one step ahead of you. I have checked every component, and have found nothing out of the ordinary. The smell was coming from the power supply,I think.

If the power supply shelled out on me, is it possible for me to just buy a new one and use my good computer again? Or would it fry my mobo?
Yes, if all your hardware is functional then buying a new power supply (if it's the culprit) will solve your problem.
My hardware all LOOKS functional. None of it has any scars from this incident. However, Computers are strange machines, and I am not totally sure if it still is totally functional.

Do you think my Power supply blew because it's too small? I assumed that a 350 watt was enough, but maybe in the future I will spend more to upgrade to a better PS.
What would you recomend for a PS? I am constantlyordering new parts to keep my machine on the bleeding edge of performance. (MY video card is OCed to be faster than a Radeon 9700, and My RAM is all high performance stuff. I also have just recentley ordered a new processor)
Some of my friends sugest up to a 550 watt PS, But do you think 450 will be alright? I dont really have a ton of cash to spend on a PS at this point.
The more power the better (power supply wise). I wouldn’t be surprised if the power supply is gone; although I would still run tests to make sure that’s the case. Borrow a friends PSU and see if your machine boots. Also make sure that all your hardware is seated properly. Maybe one of the ram sticks isn’t all the way in.

On a side note: Give us some details on your video card! I’ve got a 9700 Pro myself but haven’t overclocked it (yet). I could probably get that baby to fly :D
Blueneko
aka Gabumon

Post by Blueneko »

What kind of power supply was it? was it an el cheapo case or was a fairly descent case (enlight, antec, sparkle)?
Ive noticed a lot of cases that are extremely light, kick it/drop it/finger it and the darn thing bows and bends, and Ive also noticed the power supplys in them are extremely super cheap, wires are super thin, power supply itself looks cheap, (ive seen 300W rated psu's that only have 4 plugs in it, what is that!??!?)
(was a nonamer, with 2 floppy connectors and 2 larger cdrom/hd molex connectors)
Blueneko
aka Gabumon

Post by Blueneko »

hmm....

I have like no experience on any amd products after the amdk62-500

Kinda went the intel way....
Whatever that popping sound was, its not good.