Network lost randomly

pieroxy

Post by pieroxy »

hyperspace wrote:Weird. Both of my BP6's have a 3Com NIC in PCI slot 3. I transfer data from one BP6 hard drive to the other BP6 hard drive without any problems. Both hard drives are on the HPT366 controllers.

Like I said, weird. Ding!

What driver are you using for your NIC? Win2K, latest driver from manfacturer or ?
I use the Win2k drivers from microsoft that are more recent than those on my manufacturer's website. But again, these same drivers worked like a charm on my old mobo. Server was up for more than a year with no problem.

Maybe I should try and put my NIC on slot 3...
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

hey

try and see what happens with nothing but the nic and video card
!!! WARNING !!!
The following forums: www.bp6.com
are infected with the following VIRUS(s): Kuun.infected.all.posts.Win2K.user

The following IRC servers has been exploited: irc.bp6.com
with the Following Exploit: Kuun.lurks.using.mIRC.v5.82.exploit
pieroxy

Post by pieroxy »

kuun wrote:hey

try and see what happens with nothing but the nic and video card
Well, if I get rid of my RAID controller and giving that the problem usually occur every month or so, that would mean I won't have a server (mail/web/...) for 1 month which is not cool....

I agree that it would be a good test, I just don't have the hardware to do it (I'd have to build another PC to make a temporary server). :(
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

ok so try it with the raid card in there
!!! WARNING !!!

pieroxy

Post by pieroxy »

kuun wrote:ok so try it with the raid card in there
ok, sorry about the confusion :oops:, but there is only three cards in my server: Video, NIC and RAID....

I have a sound card that I'd like to put in there also but everytime I tried I had some more problems, so the server is up for a couple of month without it and I'm wondering if I'm going to be able to put it back there sometime...

But hey, it's only a server, no need fo a sound card!
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

iunno then
!!! WARNING !!!

pieroxy

Post by pieroxy »

Well, here I am, 2 month later, having tried (almost) everything. have tried 3 different NIC in all the available PCI Slots, no luck so far. HTP drivers installed or not...

The only new thing is that I can now reproduce the problem consistently in a couple of hours.

I just generate a *huge* transfer. I just copy the content of my HDD (80GB) on another computer to the network and... boom! after a few GB, the NIC give up.

A pain, really.

So the good news now is that I can try any new solution fairly quickly...

Any new suggestions anyone before I roll back to a 333 BH6?
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

Are you overclocking?
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
pieroxy

Post by pieroxy »

hyperspace wrote:Are you overclocking?
No. Nothing fancy. I just have my NIC, Graphic card and RAID controller plugged in. BIOS w/o HTP (My mobo wouldn't boot otherwise). One primary HDD (IDE1) and 2 CD-ROM drives (IDE2). 640MB RAM.
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

Try overclocking to 72 Mhz FSB. And then try the file tranfer. See if it drops the connection.
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
pieroxy

Post by pieroxy »

Well, I tried 72 with worse results... intead of breaking after several GB, it breaks after several MB...

Then I tried 75MHz with the same results. I had to raise the VCORE by 0.2 to get a stable system.

I restored my 66MHz. That's weird, how come increasing the FSB destabilize the NIC ??!?!?!?

Anyways, my NIC was working like a charm on my ABIT BH6 with a celeron 333 (66*5), so 66MHz shouldn't be an issue, unless th BP6 has some issues around there....

Any more suggestions ? Thanks to all of you guys for your support (even if it doesn't work. :cry: )
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

pieroxy wrote:I restored my 66MHz. That's weird, how come increasing the FSB destabilize the NIC ??!?!?!?
Increasing the FSB increases the PCI bus speed, until you reach an FSB of 92MHz.
pieroxy

Post by pieroxy »

Ok guys. I won't post anymore in this thread and most likely in this website, since I replaced my BP6 2x533 with my old old Mobo: BH6 Celeron 333. It's sooo good to have a *reliable* computer at the other end of my router....

Thanks for all the good advices anyways!!
pieroxy

Post by pieroxy »

Ok guys. I won't post anymore in this thread and most likely in this website, since I replaced my BP6 2x533 with my old old Mobo: BH6 Celeron 333. It's sooo good to have a *reliable* computer at the other end of my router....

Thanks for all the good advices anyways!!
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

I have a Netger FA311 which happily installs.
but the computer it was on, my ICS gateway, would lose it's network ability. I forget whether it stopped functioning quite properly or lost it's ip address.

I changed it for something crappier and it's fine, but it wasn't a BP6 board either.

like all good electronic stuff, it works perfectly every time for ever, or it's a pain in the ass.
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

Dave Rave wrote:I have a Netger FA311 which happily installs.
but the computer it was on, my ICS gateway, would lose it's network ability. I forget whether it stopped functioning quite properly or lost it's ip address.

I changed it for something crappier and it's fine, but it wasn't a BP6 board either.

like all good electronic stuff, it works perfectly every time for ever, or it's a pain in the ass.
Interesting point. All my computers use 3Com 3C905C NIC's. Two are BP6's. Wouldn't surprise me if some mainboards won't work porperly with certain NIC's.
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
Homerboy

Post by Homerboy »

So it seems this was never "really" resolved hey?

I've had this issue on my BP6 for some time now and its driving me absolutely insane.

I've tried 4 different NICs from 4 dif manufacturers... and same thing.
I dont think Ive tried the hotpoint drivers and removing them... what if I just "disable device" all together? I think that maybe best?

I have 2x366@550...

ANYTHING more you guys can suggest would be greatly appreciated. I love my set up and have since the day I got it... but this issue has got to go...
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

Homerboy wrote:So it seems this was never "really" resolved hey?

I've had this issue on my BP6 for some time now and its driving me absolutely insane.

I've tried 4 different NICs from 4 dif manufacturers... and same thing.
I dont think Ive tried the hotpoint drivers and removing them... what if I just "disable device" all together? I think that maybe best?

I have 2x366@550...

ANYTHING more you guys can suggest would be greatly appreciated. I love my set up and have since the day I got it... but this issue has got to go...
Don't sure if he tried a 3Com NIC in PCI slot 3. :)

May have been related to the EC10 problem. (maybe)

Should have checked the Event Logs for Win2KPro.

Trying a BIOS with the HPT366 drivers (RU).

Don't sure if he tried the latest NIC drivers from the manufacturer.

Making sure you are using the latest Service Pack (SP4) for Win2KPro.

It may have been IRQ/SMP/APCI related.

Tells us your system configuration and we'll go from there...

Oh yeah, Welcome to BP6.Com, Homerboy!
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
Homerboy

Post by Homerboy »

Thanks for the welcome... .Ive actually lurked on this site for years off and on... and I happened to see his post and knew I had the indetial problem.

I have gotten ONE NIC to work... its a 10baseT ISA NIC by Intel. 10baseT is just too damn slow though

I just compeltley removed the HPT drivers as my first test.

Ive treid Netgear, Dlink and Linsys NIC in every damn PCI slot on the motherboard
pieroxy

Post by pieroxy »

Good job hyperspace, You had me lie: I am posting again in this website. As I am too sentimental I didn't throw away (Or sell that is) my BP6 and tried a Linux with it. Same problem here, a little worse:
1. I tried getting acces to some of my network drives (Win2k) with Samba always with the same result: The computer freezes to death. Nothing respond anymore. Hard reboot necessary.
2. I shared a drive with Samba and accessed it with my Win2k machine (reverse operation) and it worked like with my Win2k: Everything wors fine up until... ARP tables are empty. No matter what I tried, ARP tables are empty and only a reboot (soft) can solve the problem. Even unloading and reloading the driver didn't solve it.
hyperspace wrote:Don't sure if he tried a 3Com NIC in PCI slot 3. :)
I have tried three different controllers each one in every single fscking slot
hyperspace wrote:May have been related to the EC10 problem. (maybe)
Dunno about that
hyperspace wrote:Should have checked the Event Logs for Win2KPro.
No events in the logs.
hyperspace wrote:Trying a BIOS with the HPT366 drivers (RU).
I tried two BIOS: The one with HTP366, wouldn't boot my machine. The boot process would freeze on the HPT366 screen. So I got it without the HPT366 and that's when I got problems.
hyperspace wrote:Don't sure if he tried the latest NIC drivers from the manufacturer.
Yes. All drivers I could find (Which is probably 3 or 4 for everyone of my NICs). For three different NICs. In every PCI slot. Same problem with every config. I might have rebooted this machine a thousand times.
hyperspace wrote:Making sure you are using the latest Service Pack (SP4) for Win2KPro.
I did.
hyperspace wrote:It may have been IRQ/SMP/APCI related.
I honestly think something is screwed up with my BP6 and that's it. Some condo blew up halfway and barely works and the Mobo is just dead. Of course, that's my personal opinion. The fact is - after reading these forums - BP6 are delicate things. With a lot of problems. A little like women :shock: :wink:. When you get one that doesn't work the way you want, just try another. :P
hyperspace wrote:Tells us your system configuration and we'll go from there...
Go ahead, I'll tell you my equivalent tests
hyperspace wrote:Oh yeah, Welcome to BP6.Com, Homerboy!
Yep, great forums.
Homerboy

Post by Homerboy »

Well all that doesnt sound too promising :)

Hmmm... I think it maybe just time to let the old girl go. I could use more horsepower in that server anyways. But I hate to part with her... so many good times!

I guess Ill try a few more things and see what becomes of it

If I do get rid of it, what are these things worth? If anything?!
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

i never have problems.. i have 2 NIC's in mine.. a d-link and a 3com

and both work fine
!!! WARNING !!!

davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

8) RealTek 10/100 not even a hint of a problem.
:?: :idea: Hey, isn't there a compatibility problem with certain video cards?

BP6 compared to women :shock: ...Hmmmmm. Yea, Ill go with that. Its all in how you handle them. :wink: Treat them like they are special and they will BE special. I got a good one. Both actually. They each have their quirks.

Got my wife with a vision problem makes her a poor reader. She completes me though. Doing nothing with her is better then doing anything without her.

Just got my BP6 a few weeks ago and cobbled it together from extra parts lying around the house with no lockups at 66FSB. No lockups or instabilitys that Im aware of. dual 500s. Only problem I had was trying to install OS on a new 80gig on the HPT366. Finally installed on the standard connector then swapped it to the HPT. Read about the bad press some have experienced and moved the HDD back to the standard ide.
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

good choice on moving back to regular ide :)
!!! WARNING !!!

ColdKiss

Post by ColdKiss »

I've had this problem too for a long while and the only thing that seems to affect it is the number of RAM slots filled. With 1x256mb stick in slot 1 the BP6 is stable for days or weeks even with constant bittorrent network activity and transferring of large files. Adding another stick of RAM in slot 2 or 3 of either 128mb or 256mb makes the network fail just as described in the posts above. I haven't figured out a way around this problem except to just use one stick of ram but that seems a pity as I'd like more.

Do any of you that experience this problem use more than one stick of
RAM or is there anyone who has a network stable for weeks and more than 1 stick of RAM installed?