Logitech Optical mouse

Homer S.

Logitech Optical mouse

Post by Homer S. »

Hello guys,

I bought a new Pilot Wheel Mouse Optical to replace my older Pilot one. This new mouse has an USB connector, but I used the alleged USB-to-PS2 adaptor; hadn't even to reinstall software (it's the same for both).
Now I've got this problem: when I turn off my PC, the mouse led stays lit; and if I move it, it turns quite on; it sounds like the mouse keeps being powered by my mobo.

I made some research over the Internet, and found out several people had their optical mouses kept on as their computers went off; some fixed it by changing some settings in their BIOS (such as power on keyboard or power on mouse), some simply used USB port instead, and some other simply ignored it since they think led consumption is so low they can avoid worrying about that (but is it true?).

I'll try using USB port as well, but I would like to know if there's a way for keeping it off without having to switch to USB, because I'd like to keep one USB port free (the other one is busy for my scanner). As far as I can remember, I disabled all APM/ACPI features over my BP6, as by keeping them on I had troubles both in installing Windows and in having Linux work properly (I don't even need them all, however).

Has anybody some idea, or been facing the same problem in the past?
ThanX 2 all in advance.
Homer S.
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

Which BIOS revision are you using in the BP6?
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
Homer S.

Post by Homer S. »

I'm using RU BIOS version, and as far as I can remember, I disabled all Wake up on xxx settings, but I'll have a look at it this evening when I'm back home from work.
BTW, if it can help, I found an interesting thread on this issue here. It's about different optical mouse types and different motherboards, but it sounds like reasons for this are common.
Homer S.
Homer S.

Post by Homer S. »

Hello,

I made all my checks and tests, and that's what came out.
The good news is, using USB port fixes the problem; it works fine and mouse led turns off as PC does.
The bad news is, I checked my BIOS configuration, and observed these settings:
  • ACPI Function is Disabled
  • Power Management is Disable
  • PM Control by APM is No
  • Power Button Override is Disabled
  • Resume by LAN is Disabled
  • Power on by Ring is Disabled
  • Power on by Alarm is Disabled
  • USB Keyboard Support Via is OS
  • Power On Function is Button Only:!:
The last one is the most interesting. From BP6 manual:
The mouse wake up function can only be used with the PS/2 mouse, not with a mouse that uses the COM port and USB connection. Mouse Left (Mouse Right) means, you need to double click the mouse left (right) button, for the computer to power on. You also need to note the compatibility issue with your PS/2 mouse, some PS/2 mice cannot wake up the system, because of compatibility problems. If the spec. of your keyboard is too old, you may fail to power on.
I suppose this means BP6 keeps powering both PS/2 ports regardless of this setting; choosing one value instead of another should only tell BP6 to decide whether to catch a signal from an input device or to ignore it, but not to disable them at all.

If I'm right, there could be no way to keep an optical mouse on PS/2 port without having it lit 24/7.
For the time being, I'll keep it on my USB port; I hope I won't need another free USB port soon after that, or I'll be obliged to buy an USB hub.:(

Thanks for help, anyway. Hope this can be useful to others, too.
Homer S.