Success with different types of SDRAM in BP6...

The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

I haven't tried registered on my BP6, although I've got some I could try... but my BP6 is offline at the moment, I needed the hard drives for something else, should be getting new ones in the next few weeks. For memory for the BP6 I just went to Crucial and used their product selector for RAM compatible with the BP6. Not every dual board needs registered memory to run; it depends on the board and chipset. Some will take registered or unregistered, some will only take registered ECC (a lot of dual Athlons, Xeons and Opterons are like that), some aren't fussy (a lot of ones with the BX or GX chipset aren't, so I have good hopes for registered on the BP6), and some actually don't like registered memory at all.
Wolfram

Post by Wolfram »

The Doctor wrote:Not every dual board needs registered memory to run; it depends on the board and chipset. Some will take registered or unregistered, some will only take registered ECC (a lot of dual Athlons, Xeons and Opterons are like that)
Reports on the web say you can even run boards that are said to require registered ECC with standard unregistered non-ECC-DIMMs (but only one or two sticks). IE the MSI K7D Master-L (review in German).
BP6, RU BIOS, XP SP3, ACPI, 2x366@523(1,95V), Pentalpha HS + 1x 12cm fan @5V, 768MB, Powercolor Geforce 3, RTL8139D NIC, Terratec EWS64L, Samsung M40 80GB (2,5''), LiteOn CDRW