BP6 and Netgear WG311 card

goal

BP6 and Netgear WG311 card

Post by goal »

I'm trying to install a Netgear WG311 (54g) wlan card into my bp6, however it just refuses to post with the card installed. Take it out and all is fine. I've tried all the PCI slots and tried removing all other cards - no joy.

Has anyone else had this problem or fixed it? If not.. can anyone recommend a wlan PCI card that will work with the BP6? Thanks..
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

http://www.bp6.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=2501 :?:

Duplicate accounts, or just coincidence? The BP6 is PCI 2.1 compliant and has trouble with newer wireless cards. Search the forum and you will find others have experienced the same problem.

Derek
-Derek
lexy

Netgear WG311

Post by lexy »

I tried to install a WG311T in my BP6 and it didn't work. I noticed that the powerled was not on. So i checked if the power of the PCI slots was OK and found out that non of the PCI slots have 3.3V power lines. So i picked up my soldering iron and wired the 3.3V pin of a PCI slot to a 3.3V regulator on the mainboard of the PB6. And when i booted up the system, the WG311T PCI card worked perfectly!.
hyperspace
Board Admin

Re: Netgear WG311

Post by hyperspace »

lexy wrote:I tried to install a WG311T in my BP6 and it didn't work. I noticed that the powerled was not on. So i checked if the power of the PCI slots was OK and found out that non of the PCI slots have 3.3V power lines. So i picked up my soldering iron and wired the 3.3V pin of a PCI slot to a 3.3V regulator on the mainboard of the PB6. And when i booted up the system, the WG311T PCI card worked perfectly!.
lexy, Sorry for the long delay. Welcome to BP6.Com and many thanx for resolving the BP6 wireless issue! We will be throwing up a FAQ dedicated to you and another BP6er, hexibot43, in the next few days.
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
mkuht

Wireless PCI/5v to 3.3v Hack

Post by mkuht »

Lexy,

Superb to see that someone has finally managed to sort out an issue that many others seem to have encountered (not just on BP6). I could go off and try to hack my PCI slot to provide 3.3v but after looking at various PCI pinouts it looks like I could really make a hash of it .... so is there any chance you could post your solution please ???

TIA, Mike
ricounec

D-link wi-fi PCI-card for BP6

Post by ricounec »

Hi everybody,

I'm happy to tell you all that I've just plugged a (802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11b+) D-link AirPlus Xtreme G+ DWL-G520+ wi-fi card into my BP6... and it works perfectly well within a 802.11.g network ! (sure, that's why I can send this post !)

I didn't get particular problem to get this one run. Just followed the manual.
[NB : I didn't try any other wi-fi card before.]

Eric
g0fvt

Post by g0fvt »

Me too! Used a D-Link card and it just works....
Yeraze

Post by Yeraze »

I'm trying to get a PVR-150 to work in my BP6, and it's just not working... From what I read, I believe it's a similar issue (undervolt). Where can I find the information on hard-wiring a 3.3V line?
g0fvt

Pci Pin Out

Post by g0fvt »

Hi, here is a link to a site which includes the PCI bus pin out, not sure why some cards work and some don't, maybe they do not use the same supply pin on the edge connector....

http://www.technick.net/public/code/cp_ ... conbus_pci

As i said before mine works fine using Dlink wireless card... regards David
foft

Post by foft »

I just got my Belkin 54g card running with the 3.3v wire to regulator trick. I couldn't find any good details here so this is what I did:

The black 3 pinned devices near the psu input are mostly voltage regulars. Just to the left of the motherboard heatsink is one marked AME1084. The centre pin gives 3.3v. Check it with your voltmeter first!

The pins on the PCI to connect this to are:
(On B side, 1-11, notch, 14-49,notch, 52-62 - see http://pinouts.ru/Slots/PCI_pinout.shtml)
B-25 B- for B side
B-31
B-36
B-41
B-43
B-54
A-21 A- for A side
A_27
A-33
A-39
A-45
A-53

I decided wiring to the BP6 itself on this end would be painful. So instead I soldered to the PCI card itself. I found all these pins are connected on the PCI card so I only needed to connect to one location. I found a capacitor (to smooth supply) on the card which is connected to these pins and soldered to that. I found the cap by an educated guess + using a resistance meter from pin B-25. It was next to a "missing" regulator on the Belkin card and quite a chunky one.

Good luck,

Mark
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

Hello foft/Mark.

Some good work there! Glad you got it working.
Like BP6.com? Not a member?
Then why the hell not? It's great!
-> BP6.com Membership <-
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

your'e linkie needs a space
http://pinouts.ru/Slots/PCI_pinout.shtml

so the ) ain't next to eht shtml
or click mine