PS2 Keyboard not responding

Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

PS2 Keyboard not responding

Post by Dave Rave »

I've been resurrecting, re-capping and restarting my old boards lying around.

one of my MSI boards wouldn't load win2k properly, so I parked it and did the other two I had bought.

when finally getting back to it, it still wouldn't settle in to a desktop, so I sent it to be recapped with my other BP6 board what was playing up (and still is, but that will be a different story).

so, the board comes back, and loads into win2k, and installs and settles down and then doesn't, and so the re-capping has done nothing for this board.
so it's parked for a week again.

when i get back to it, it's hard to get started, so i reset the bios, which comes up with bios defaults loaded
cmos error, blah etc
press F1 to continue, Del to go to bios

now, the lights flash on the keyboard at post, but the keys don't work at this prompt. very strange.....

so I'm wondering around our local computer markets today (North Rocks NSW) and I am thinking about this problem and happen to spot a small usb to PS2 convertor.
simple package, no cd, looks ideal for a try, and only $9

get it home, plug this thingy into my working computer, is good, finds hid-drivers with no problem.
so the MSI board is on the bench again, turn on, cmos error. no keyboard.
fingers crossed, plug in usb thingy, plug in keyboard, press DEL, BIOS, yippee .....

this is a good thing.
not that it matters much, once it's set up and working, it will be headless, and i will have the usb-ps2 thingy spare, except, i will prolly KVM it, so, darn, i will need it. oh well.....

anyhoo, tips, no PS2, little usb work around, not hard, not expensive.
now to see if it will load into win2k yet ....
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

this work around has been a good one.
I have an almost thrown it away board working now fine.

while I was testing it, I tried to set it up as my smoothwall firewall....
but the setup needs to do a USB scan to find the KB and mouse, and in the middle of the install, it resets everything, and then the kb don't work no more. silly install, but ....

I looked for my fedora cd's, tried them, again. geez, what a pain.
tried my Knoppix cd, it works.
figured out how to hdd install it, and i now have my first working linux box in my set of heat pumps ;-)
yay me.
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

Dave Rave wrote: ... and i now have my first working linux box in my set of heat pumps ;-) yay me.
:lol:
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
Karl_Skewes

Post by Karl_Skewes »

hey guys,

I realise this is an old post... I have come back from overseas and my friend needed a new pc so he bought the harddrive and new case and I just transplanted my bp6 into it.

2x p3's running at 600mhz on 100mhz bus. I did the P3 mods... so resistors and capacitors and removed pins etc.... was very stable.
3 sticks of ram totally 256MB
brand new 160gb seagate drive.
brand new pioneer dvdrw
brand new ps2 multimedia keyboard

anyways, I've fired it all up in the new case and it seems the keyboard is not responding, and I get the error primary master hard disk fail.

tried known working ps2 keyboard, no change.
I pulled all the cards, still no good.
tried putting harddrive back on ata133 card.. no change.
bios seems to have old harddrive on ata33 port 1 master...
when i put new hd on that port as master, it shows up as 80gb...and starts to boot and run windows cd. (normally have to press a key to get this to happen).

I'm going to try reset bios to defaults... it's rv without hpt btw.
This should fix the harddrive error and detect mine at normal.. but worried about keyboard.

but my question is:
If i get a usb keyboard, or the usb-ps2 adaptor.. is it likely to restore a keyboard?
Karl_Skewes

Post by Karl_Skewes »

reset cmos.. fixed harddrive error as such but...

pulled off the HDD LED pins and keyboard restored. The old HDD LED was 3 pin wide, whereas new case is 2 pin wide. So it must of been shorting the keyboard lock.

Anyways, all up and away now. Thanks for the great site. BP6 lives another day... 6 years and counting!
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

i woz going to say that
i woz TOO!