The strangest thing ever.

Jordan

The strangest thing ever.

Post by Jordan »

Although this has little to do with a bp6 or computers at all, it's worth looking at. I am amazed googling for it doesn't bring up anything.

I've been working on my hovercrafts again, trying to build a small one.
So far it's going well, i've got a 12 inch wide styrofoam circle hovering properly so all that's left is adding a remote control drive system.

However, that's not the point. The craft is powered by a 3 volt DC motor which spins a propeller to blow air down and make the craft float. I figured i'd try to make another lift motor like that for my bigger, better hovercraft.
That one is controlled by the RC components of a snowmobile, That snowmobile had a speaker in it which made hideous loud engine noises so i removed the speaker.
Now, as i was fiddling with the RC unit for the snowmobile which is now on my big hovercraft i though i'd try using all the different light connectors to see which had the most power output, hopefully enough to run a lift fan.
I thought, okay this won't work but why not test the speaker connections?
So i did. And the results surprised and horrified me.
As soon as I pressed the button to make sound, rather than turning the propellor, the motor made noise. Not just static, but the actual noise the original speaker made!
I tested other motors, all did the same thing! I even tried the motors on the audio out from my PC, and it all made semi-clear audible sound!

Has anyone ever heard of DC motors emitting proper noise?
Hopefully this isnt' old news that everybody knows, but even if it is it's incredibly strange and i hope people find it as interesting as i do.
The collector of the old and unwanted.
LunaticFrige

Post by LunaticFrige »

hehe nice, so is this what you are after ?
Afrotech's Hard-disk Sound System
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Brilliant! That is exactly my point!
Also you can use LEDs. Their low power needs make plain sound output light them up. It can make for freaky displays!
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

KOOL !!!

I bet anything that you hear when electricity is applied would work simularly.

I think its the same variation in voltage that causes the vibration in speakers...causes vibration in electric motors. You hear the vibration against the air.

I can't wait to try it out on different things around the house like...incandecent light bulbs and stuff. My grand son will be so impressed.(he's 14 months old)
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I'm pretty sure the audio output has to do with the magnetism in the speaker device. I tried using a small lightbulb in my audio experiment and it didn't work. Even if it did make noise I couldn't hear it. So it looks like you'll need some magnets for an incandescent buld to make sound. Regardless, getting a lighbulb to make sound would be amazing. Perhaps i'll give it a try this weekend.
swampwater

Post by swampwater »

I made a set of these a couple years ago, when afrotechmods first published the article. It actually didn't sound as bad as I had originally expected. Imagine listening to an AM radio.
Abit BX133-RAID - 1 x Celeron (Tualatin) 1.4GHz
Abit BP6 - 2 x Pentium III (CuMine) 1.0GHz@666MHz (66FSB until I get another BP6)
Acer TravelMate 290 - 1 x Pentium M (Dothan) 2.0GHz (Upgraded from Banias 1.3GHz)
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

At work during breaks in the action I scoped out Afrotech's whole website.

Im glad no one was around because some of that stuff made me laugh spontaniously.

Most of his ghetto mods are great.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
P-III 850@100
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

I loved his web page on a piece of cardboard
and his hand ;-)
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

And if Kuun ever sees that BLING BLING HONDA he will be die with envy.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
P-III 850@100
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Yay! I made my very own hard drive sound system like the one from Afrotech! However, mine has lights and is more fun to watch. It could be called a 2.1 stereo setup because i've got a western digital drive in the center making low noise, a gutted WD with no platter that makes fun jigglings and normal pitches, and a laptop drive making high pitches. Great fun, pictures might show up soon.

I even got an incandescent bulb to light up, but not make noise. I didn't use it on my HDs though, it is too slow to light.
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

Jordan wrote:Yay! I made my very own hard drive sound system like the one from Afrotech! However, mine has lights and is more fun to watch. It could be called a 2.1 stereo setup because i've got a western digital drive in the center making low noise, a gutted WD with no platter that makes fun jigglings and normal pitches, and a laptop drive making high pitches. Great fun, pictures might show up soon.

I even got an incandescent bulb to light up, but not make noise. I didn't use it on my HDs though, it is too slow to light.
Didn't anyone tell you that a video clip is required when posting about modifications? :D
-Derek
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I'm working on it... Just wait!
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

Since Hyperspace isn't here to say it:

xcellent!
-Derek
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Sorry i haven't responded sooner, I've got video of the speakers on google video now.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... pr=goog-sl

There it is. It's horrid quality but it gets the message across. Someday i might make a better movie, but try be satisfied with this one for now.
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

Derek wrote:Since Hyperspace isn't here to say it:

xcellent!
That's:

Xcellent! :lol:
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
headspirit

Post by headspirit »

i connected a small motor to the headphone socket of my walkman when i was about 7 years old , i wanted to see if i could create some sort of sound to movement device

i discovered exactly the same thing , the sound coming from the motor

i had compleatly forgetern about it till i read this post

i have no idea why it works but it does, and it came in handy

my mum dident like my listening to my walkman when i was supposed to be in bed sleeping and if i used the headphones she could quite ofter hear it , but with the a motor stuffed in the corner of my pillow and the walkman down the side of the bed she couldent hear it even in the same room, but i could with my ear on the pillow .... hehehehe

:idea:
Reality aint what it used to be