Dead BP6

javaholic

Dead BP6

Post by javaholic »

I've been told here that my BP6 is dead this is bad news. I liked it. Does anyone hear have any suggestions?

Please bare in mind that i have a soldering iron and i'm not afraid to use it.

How would i hunt down this problem and replace the component or components in question.

Please note i have already made a bid for a new BP6 on ebay just in case.[/url]
s4brains

Post by s4brains »

Hi.

I'm somewhat confused by the discussion referenced by your link. That discussion seems to say that you (or somebody else) is attempting to use an 800 MHz Celeron on a BP6. The CPU sockets on a BP6 are designed for PPGA Celeron CPU's ( 300 MHz - 533 MHz ). The discussion does not mention an adapter. The BP6 cannot use a FC-PGA CPU without an adapter (such as a PowerLeap PL-NeoS370.)

I believe the original PPGA socket and the newer FC-PGA are mechanically the same (meaning an FC-PGA CPU can be inserted in the socket), but the sockets are not the same electrically. This is why an adapter is necessary.

Do you have access to a PPGA celeron that you can use to test the board?

Best Regards,

s4
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

javaholic,

Yea Coffee !!!
I read that thread and see the same thing that s4brains saw. I don't know who those folks are but if they give advise to others, someone should have done a little research and they would have seen you are trying a processor to new for your board.

BP6 can handle 2 of the old black celerons. Intel says they don't work in SMP but they do. If you use one of the newer green ones you need a special adaptor and can only use one unless you modify the board.

You can probably ask around and get ahold of a PPGA celeron for next to nothing...
Wait a minute. Where are you. I may have a couple extras in my junk drawer. I will be offline for a couple days so be patient if you reply or PM me.

David