Anyone know what this old expansion card is?

Jordan

Anyone know what this old expansion card is?

Post by Jordan »

It seems to be a CD-audio board, but it has no obvious labels or discerning features. Windows doesn't detect anything related to it. I figure there's a really simple program that controls the drive directly off the board. If anyone recognizes it or has any information, let me know. It's not a terribly useful thing but not knowing about it is annoying.

Oh, this card came out of an ancient computer being thrown out at my school. Also inside it was an IBM 5250 Emulator card. Some internet sites have them for sale for around $300 and ebay's got one for about $100. If I can I'd like to sell it, but i highly doubt there is a market for them. If anybody's in need of one, look no further! If not, it'll stay in my collection of vintage computer bits.
The collector of the old and unwanted.
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

CD1 input says it's a sound card
bottom row says it's an ISA card
you would need to have drivers set up and working properly for the setting s on the card for it to work right.

it won't work past win2k, so i wouldn't fret it much
it has A speaker out, not even a mike in
ugh
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

windows won't auto-detect it as it won't be PnP

if you scan for new hardware, it might show details
jaybird

Post by jaybird »

I have an old 486 machine that has a card just like that controling an after-market Panasonic CD-ROM drive. I'll look tonight when I get home from work. It came as a complete "up-grade" kit, board, cable, drive, etc.

Regards,

jaybird
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

I got one somewhere in the past and as already stated it is:
1) 8bit ISA
2) IDE interface...to the best of my limited knowledge only works with 1x CD drives.
(I tried a Conner 20meg jumpered for 8bit but never got mine to work on that or any HD nor even the after-market Panasonic cdrom it came connected to.)
3) It does require drivers and isn't PNP. (Extreem legacy device with no practicle use in todays world.)
4) Not exactly a sound card. The jack is a line-out. You might as well plug powered speakers into the front of the drive though.

It does however run pretty cool so no fans needed.
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I figured this would be a good place to seek info on the card. Thanks for the information.
Now i just have to find some sort of driver and see if I can get it to do something.
Oddly enough, the CD Drive in the PC was a 1999 40x drive, so I guess the original drive had been removed but the card had stayed in. My school always seems to be junking strange old PC's. The case had a crazy dipswitch controlled 3 digit LCD too, so i've had the idea to try and cram my BP6 in there and have the LCD say BP6. The joys of too much spare time!
The collector of the old and unwanted.