BP6 fixed

Ch3

BP6 fixed

Post by Ch3 »

Hey. Got this BP6 for free because it was too flaky for any use. Although only with 400MHz Cellys, its worth a repair. I already own another BP6 with 366@550 and Ive only had to replace one cap on that one. This new one needed 11 new caps, a new inductor coil and I did the Q6 mod too.

Before:

After:

I'm happy :)

Edit: VCore fluctuates 0.05V, VTT around 0.18V but no stability problems so far. Temperatures around those groups of four caps were 80c+ before, MBM showed board temperature around 90c - I thought it had to be an error before I measured temps with a digital thermometer which unfortunately only goes to 80c. Caps are barely warm now and board temp is down to about 35c after this fix.

2nd edit: Whats the easiest way to flash without floppy? Bootable flashdrive or what? Tips and any links would be appreciated.
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

Good work. :)

Why can't you use a boot floppy to flash BIOS? BP6 will not boot from a flash drive.
Like BP6.com? Not a member?
Then why the hell not? It's great!
-> BP6.com Membership <-
Ch3

Post by Ch3 »

Bummer, thats what I thought. I went through four drives the last time I needed a floppy, all to no avail. Could try again but I doubt they got any better in the years since.

What about copying the needed files to boot onto a HDD and set the partition to bootable, that would work, right?
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

I'm sure you can do it that way, but you may run into problems if the flash procedure goes wrong. If that happened, the BP6 may not be able to recognise HDDs any more, but would likely still see a floppy drive.
Like BP6.com? Not a member?
Then why the hell not? It's great!
-> BP6.com Membership <-
Ch3

Post by Ch3 »

Yeah, guess your right. I'll just have find a floppy.

Been doing a little OC'ing BTW, it'll do 528 now, with 400's and some crappy stock coolers. Didn't even do 433 before my repair, not that surprising though. Thats a very high PCI FSB but it wont boot at 92 where the PCI FSB is a at 31. Oh well, I didn't count on OC'ing it any way so I undervolted it instead, at 1.8V and it's just as stable and a few degrees cooler.