It's alive!

jaybird

It's alive!

Post by jaybird »

Gee, looks like old home week here :) !

So I guess I'm not the only one who just can't seem to get the BP6 out of their blood and and off the desk top :wink: !

I am also reviving my BP6, I have one question, I believe it has ECC support?

I have a chance to pick up several matched sticks of ECC double sided PC133 SDRAM for cheap and want to make sure that this will work.

Regards to all and good to see BP6.com still alive and kicking!

Regards,

jaybird
tenchimuyo93

Post by tenchimuyo93 »

yep cant get my BP6 to go down except for repairs. though it might be down for a while getting a processor error after every reboot during POST.

its still hard to belive BP6s are still running at all.
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

Jaybird,
Yes there is ECC support. The ram should work, up to 128meg per side.

If I remember ECC support takes one extra clock click. If you are running CL2 it will really have the speed of CL3. If CL3 then CL4 preformance. On the other hand you will not have any error spots in the ram on ECC.

What sticks, how many, and how much? Ive been looking for 256 meg sticks (cheap) for ever. I don't want to pay $30 per stick and it seems like thats all I ever find on eBay.
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
jaybird

Post by jaybird »

I was able to purchase 4 sticks ECC Samsung PC133 for $35.00!

Once I get this "new" BP6 up and running and all is well if you are still interested I might sell the other stick :wink: !

"NEW" BP6 specs:

I'm debaiting, either my original SuperMicro 750 server tower or I just picked up a "retro" looking Thermaltake "Mombo" case and go with all black.

This is going to be used just for business apps and some vintage graphics programs plus storage.

dual 366's, 400's, 433's, 500's or 533's, I have matched pairs of each (I'm leaning towards the 366's as I know this pair will go 594 air-cooled).

This is a mint ver. 1 board with plastic arms.
dual celerons (of cource :wink: )
CPU coolers are Spire Whisper, the biggest and baddest A-- coolers I've ever seen on a BP6 (see my photos this site).
768 meg PC133 ECC SDRAM
new, still in the box Matrox G400 MAX 32 meg dual hd video card
new Turtle Beach Riviera 5.1 sound card with Cambridge DTT2500 surround sound system.
WinTV GO! PCI capture card
Adaptec Firewire 3 port card
Adaptec SCSII ISA card for 7 CD Jukbox
3Com 509B combo ethernet card

I want this to be functional as well as good looking as I am completely remodeling my office and want a more "professional" look.

Oh yes, also looking at black dual 19" flat panel monitors, black wireless keyboard and black wireless mouse.

This is meant to be a backup for my 4GHZ Core duo 4GIG memory video editing box (ain't pretty but boy is it fast!).

Eventually (If my wife lets me) my office will have an 30's Art Deco look, black and glass table top furniture, white walls, large art deco prints on the walls and a light maple hard wood flooring. Right now it looks like an atom bomb went off in a Radio Shack store, if you know what I mean (ok, it's comfy but oh so not professional and messy, come to think of it, she hates it so much now she doesn't even like to come in here. Maybe not all that bad, huh :wink: ).

Regards and great to be back here!

jaybird
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

davd_bob wrote:What sticks, how many, and how much? Ive been looking for 256 meg sticks (cheap) for ever. I don't want to pay $30 per stick and it seems like thats all I ever find on eBay.
Really? I bought two brand new sticks last week for £18 (about $35 I think).
jaybird wrote:Eventually (If my wife lets me) my office will have an 30's Art Deco look, black and glass table top furniture, white walls, large art deco prints on the walls and a light maple hard wood flooring. Right now it looks like an atom bomb went off in a Radio Shack store, if you know what I mean (ok, it's comfy but oh so not professional and messy, come to think of it, she hates it so much now she doesn't even like to come in here. Maybe not all that bad, huh :wink: ).

Regards and great to be back here!

jaybird
Great to have you back jaybird! Get some photos of your Art Deco office when it's done. I'd love to see it!
Like BP6.com? Not a member?
Then why the hell not? It's great!
-> BP6.com Membership <-
p3n1x

Post by p3n1x »

bp6 never dies :) im always on the lookout on ebay for one to pickup....i got a spare set of 366's that hit 550 easily constantly on air :) MUCH LOVE!
Its dangerous on the internets
Spaseaba

Post by Spaseaba »

I too couldn't stay away. I thought this place was dead. Glad to see everthing, if not everyone, still here. I had the brilliant idea, of rebuilding to exact spec, my original BP6. I'm purchasing parts now, but would you believe I can't find the board. I just have to wait until a good one hits eBay. The BP6 was a time in my life I don't want to give up. Long live the BP6!!
23,600 MHz of Hard Core AMD Crunching Power!
Boreas - AMD Phenom 9600BE @ 4 x 2300
Kaikias - AMD Phenom 9500 @ 4 x 2200
AMD64 3000+ HTPC @ 2000
AMD 2500+ Athlon XP @ 2000
Intel Celeron 520 M Lappy @ 1600
http://www.ocdistributed.com
p3n1x

Post by p3n1x »

still using mine. getting ready to do some testing of win2k8 server on it. its still ticking. its been running ipcop duty for well over the past year or so :)
Its dangerous on the internets
Spaseaba

Post by Spaseaba »

p3n1x wrote:bp6 never dies :) im always on the lookout on ebay for one to pickup....
Well at least let me get the next one, so I can have one! :P
AMD64 3000+ HTPC @ 2000
Spaseaba

Post by Spaseaba »

p3n1x wrote:bp6 never dies :) im always on the lookout on ebay for one to pickup....
Well at least let me get the next one, so I can have one! :P

Oops double. Sry.
AMD64 3000+ HTPC @ 2000
BasilBadger

Post by BasilBadger »

So I guess I'm not the only one who just can't seem to get the BP6 out of their blood and and off the desk top !
ME too.. me too :)

I have been using the same mobo for desktop work since 2002.
Coming back here from time to time to make sure i'm not the only one left.

This time though i'm back to see if a startup quirk has been discussed before. It hangs right after one beep :roll:

All the best,
Basil
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

Sat here racking my brain. It is during the post, does anything even hit the screen, or is it before the board gets that far?
Oh, check the caps.

BTW, you should have created a new thread for this but we can follow it here since its already posted.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
P-III 850@100
BasilBadger

Post by BasilBadger »

Hi davd_bob,
and everyone else.

It's up and running again. Seems it was a bad ram block.
Otherwise my poking around hit something, in that case it'll be back.
I do have a two more BP6 boards, though.

The symptom was that the system froze just after reporting the processor and making one beep. Next thing to happen would be the ram counting, right?

All the best,
Henrik
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

Did you swap a ram stick or something?
NM. Glad its back up.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
P-III 850@100
BasilBadger

Post by BasilBadger »

Re-hi davd_bob,
and everyone else.

Lazy as i am, i pulled the blocks one at a time until it posted correctly.
After that i stuffed it with two other sticks from the BP6-goodies-box.
Presto: Daddy's Retro PC was alive again.

BTW: One good reason to keep a BP6 on the desk: The kids wont hog it for playing games!

All the best,
Henrik
Still a BP6 as primary PC: Dual 366 Celeron at 550MHz, Max ram, 2 x 350Gb Sata disks.
Secondary: Tyan 2663, Dual Xeon 3.06GHz, 16Gb, 7 x 147Gb SCSI 320 in hardware Raid 5.
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

Hi Henrik,

It has been reported over the years that the BP6 can be rather fussy with all three memory slots filled. Sometimes modules will need to be replaced, other times swapping the order they are in may work. It is worth noting down the order you have them in incase you need to dismantle the BP6 in future for any reason.

I have three sticks of 256MB which work very nicely in my BP6, and I'm hanging on to them!

Anyway, very glad you got the BP6 going again. But what about those other BP6s you mentioned? :shock:
Like BP6.com? Not a member?
Then why the hell not? It's great!
-> BP6.com Membership <-
BasilBadger

Post by BasilBadger »

Hi InactiveX and the rest of you,

i've been having trouble with RAM too, but ever since i found a bunch of Micron 256 sticks my BP6 has been humming happily (Micron Technology 256MB PC133 SDRAM 16LSDT3264AG-133B1) Except for the other day, that is.

The other BP6s... Well i kinda want to keep them in reserve. Not being overly sentimental about my computer, i am amazed that gear this old can still do the job well.
The "other" computer i'm building is also a dual processor board. This time a Tyan 2665 with all the bells and whistles one can rustle up on Ebay. Even the original hardware ZCR raid card turned up for a few quid. It'll be faster surely, but whether it is a step forwards i'm not sure about at all.
My BP6 uses about 100W on average and peaks at 340W in my setup.
Whereas the Tyan system eats 240W average and 820W peak!!! Actually i'm not quite done stuffing it, so that wont improve :(
All that power for what?

ChipnDale (my BP6) will run ACAD, Mathcad, Word and play Mp3s, all at the same time, without a stutter. Which is really all i need when i sit down to do the homework.
So, i think i'll keep a BP6 on the desk for quite a while yet.
Besides, the local computer freak (Wifey), will probably steal the Tyan if it turns out to be faster than her dual Opteron system. The one she snatched from me last time i thought i was about to upgrade ;)
Still a BP6 as primary PC: Dual 366 Celeron at 550MHz, Max ram, 2 x 350Gb Sata disks.
Secondary: Tyan 2663, Dual Xeon 3.06GHz, 16Gb, 7 x 147Gb SCSI 320 in hardware Raid 5.