Maximum fan header wattage?

Bobert

Maximum fan header wattage?

Post by Bobert »

Been a long time since I posted, but I dusted off my BP6 and have it running again. :D I have a question about the fan headers though. I'm thinking of jerry rigging two 80mm fans together on one fan header. The fans are Y.S. Tech FD1281255B-2A which draw 1.92watts each. So combined it would 3.84 watts. Can one fan header handle a little under 4 watts?

The reason I'm doing this is I want to be able to also be able control the front intake fan with speedfan program. So there will be two fans for both CPU's on one fan header, and my 92mm fan for intake on the other header. The third header doesn't seem to be able to variate fan speed with speedfan, so I'm kinda stuck with 2 fan headers to control everything. 8)
Bobert

Post by Bobert »

I went ahead and tried it and got somewhat mixed results. The fans are definitely running slower, and with speedfan when trying to variate the fan speed, the fans seem to be struggling when stepping the speed up or down. I only ran it for around 3 minutes, so I'm just going separate fans again using only one fan per header. I need to find somewhere to purchase the 3 pin fan headers since Radio Shack didn't have them.
tenchimuyo93

Post by tenchimuyo93 »

like this? 4pin molex to 3 pin {m/f}

or like this? 3pin {m} to 3pin {f}x2[/url]
Bobert

Post by Bobert »

I was searching for this connector. My fans had three wires however they were wired up to standard molex connectors with the sense wire not being used.

There are a few places on the internet that carry them, however some of the vendors don't sell the pins, and the few that do carry the pins with the connector want too much for shipping (pay more for shipping than the contents of the package).

I ended up scavaging some connectors from some old fans and carefully removed the pins. A small set of needle-nose pilers and eyeglass screwdriver were needed to separate the pins from the wires. The fans are both working now at full speed and report the RPM. The strange thing is when variating the fans other than 100% the RPM goes whacky (eg. 670000 RPM ... That's one fast fan! :shock: ). Either the fans aren't quite compatible with the software, or maybe just a BP6 kinda thing. 8)
tenchimuyo93

Post by tenchimuyo93 »

hummm might be a bp6 thing, though mine only reports speed from 1 fan header. though if one isnt hooked up to the second one i get a bois warning on boot and my thrid header is just shot out completely.
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

Havent been around for a while.
my two cents worth...

I wouldn't risk the fan headers on the mobo like that. Instead you could use the molex and re wire it for 5volt max instead of 12 volt. Or use the 12v for power and the 5v for common resulting n 7volt.

You probably already thought of all that though.
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100