What new CPUs are compatiable with the BP6?

RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

james..,

The P-III/1100E/256K/100FSB/1.75 is the fastest CPu readily installable in the BP6.
Forget all the FCPGA-2/133MHz FSB chips - no adapter lets them work in the BP6 & if they did, you'd be Under-clocking them by 110/133 for sure.

I have (3) BP6 systems & (2) have the P-III/1100E @110FSB=>1.21GHz.
These are both definitely faster than the Dual 366 Cele1s @500 they replaced (& much quieter too). But compared to your Dual 642MHz rig, I'm not sure you would see much more speed , if any.
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

There is one on ebay usa right now - maybe they can ship there.
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

I've done all (3) of my BP6s with the P-III/1100E. One had already been upgraded to a single Cele2/1100 & I was not satisfied with the speed result. I was using Dual Cele-1/366 @500MHz on all three before.

All (3) P-III upgrades are now stable at 110MHz FSB=>1.21GHz.
Only problem (which I expect to fix soon) is one must boot at 98MHz & then be goosed up to 110MHz using BP6FSB.EXE tool. Faster than 98MHz & it does not finish booting to WinXP Pro.

I am satisfied with the result based on the $ invested.
I got my (3) CPUs for $125, $125, & $99.
The three NEOs + new coolers + CPUs + shipping => ~$500
So, at $170 per system I am satisfied with both the speedup & improved stability of running (1) CPU only (less voltage/current demands).
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

I think the P-III/1000E is the next best CPU for Single BP6.
Then, the Celeron2/1100/128K & P-III/850E/256K are about equal.

The Cele2/1100/128K will OC to 110MHZ=>1.21Ghz but with only 128K cache it's a little weak.
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

I did not know that Celeron2 were available at the 950MHz clock speed.
My impression of the difference between the P-III and the Cele2 with their 256K versus 128K internal caches is that the P-III picks up about a 15% boost form the extra cache.
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

what are the best CPU's for SMP?

i like my dual system.. i'd like to get a faster sped with SMP rather than a single CPU
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

There will be no more evolution by Intel of the CPU series for which the BP6 was engineered (Celeron1). The SMP capability of current Celerons is diasbled by Intel.

Knowing this as a certainty, what are you going to do to boost the performance of what you stick in the two Socket 370s of your BP6?

I say you stick the best P-III CPU you can find/afford in a single socket.
You find out which of your two sockets can OC your single P-III to the max. Then you sit back and think about what mods of the BP6 you can handle. You think about how nicely dual P-III/1100E CPUs @110MHz=>1.2GHz would run Win2K/WinXP Pro/Linux or whatever SMP O/S you like, on your BP6 .

Then you decide whether you can handle all the mods that your BP6 may need to run the dual P-IIIs in SMP mode. Can you afford all the H/W investment? Can you live with the risk of trashing your board with inept soldering? Can you find the no-longer-in production CPUs you need?

Now, if you answer yes to all the questions, you take the plunge & mod your board. Your effort pays off in spades because you started out with the maximum level P-III **SINGLE CPU** in the first place!! Otherwise all your work would have been toward a less-than-satisfying final result!
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

well

soldering is something i do at work all day long

i work at sears home repair central in chattanooga TN

i work on audio uunits all day long and solder/desolder linear chips (through the board) and flatpacks (surfacec mount) everyday.. so thats not the problem.. the problem is having a detailed block diagram i can unnderstand to do the mods (schematics are great but not when your doing modifications... at least for me)

so doing the mods and getting the parts and the hardware is no problem

doing dual cpu smp at the highest speed and getting the CPU's to do it with is the problem

where do i get what im looking for? how do i know how much to pay (i hate being ripped off and finding out later that i was) and how much time is this all going to take? (i have things i need to do everyday with my computer)

Kuun
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

Cisco, your answer is in the above thread - since you double posted this question, I won't double post my answer.
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

This is good news. I have not seen any FCPGA Celeron2s faster than 1100MHz. I used one of these & O-C'd it at 108MHz for a few months before I got my P-III/1100Es going. If the 1.3GHz chips can run at 110 FSB, then I think they will equal or best the fastest P-III CPUs. You will need the NEO adapter & no SMP of course.
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

There is something fishey with this link. The header says it is a Tualatin (.13 micron) series CPU & the 1.3Ghz is consistent with the actual 1.26GHz FCPGA2 chip of that type. But the text says .18 micron process, & then calls this Intel's "latetest" manufacturing process - NOT!!

I think some lazy webpage programmer tried to recycle the Celeron2 FCPGA material to promote what is really a Celeron3 & not BP6 useable.
BCN

Post by BCN »

RRLedford wrote:There is something fishey with this link. The header says it is a Tualatin (.13 micron) series CPU & the 1.3Ghz is consistent with the actual 1.26GHz FCPGA2 chip of that type. But the text says .18 micron process, & then calls this Intel's "latetest" manufacturing process - NOT!!

I think some lazy webpage programmer tried to recycle the Celeron2 FCPGA material to promote what is really a Celeron3 & not BP6 useable.
this is really celeron tualatin, man! there were not celeron coppermines higher than 1100MHz 100FSB, so that is what it tells - Tualatin :)
Dual C366@550MHz 1.90V :) (History)
yet single PIII-S 512Kb L2 cache at 1400MHz@700MHz
BP6 (not modded yet)
256MB PC133 C2
GF4Ti4200-8x
Maxtor 2x60Gb - all on promise ATA133
Lite-On LTR 40125S@48125W!!!
Plus P4 system
BCN

Post by BCN »

[quote="fossil"]Just afew words. The Tualitan (Socket 370 w/512k cache) will not work on the BP6...AT ALL!!!
Same goes for all .13 micron, tualitan core celerons(and they are not SMP anyway)
[quote]

Just one question to you... Did you try 512kb PIII-S on BP6? Has anyone here tried them on it?... I did not hear about that yet... :( Well if anyone of the guys tried that out, please tell me how and why they did not work, what was the problem.

The point is that my two new NEOs S370 are already shipped and will be at my place by latest next monday (shipment cost was the same as two of them! OUTCH!!! :(() and the 370GU ones will be shipped next week most probably. :D

the question here is - did anyone tried this combination? I am gonna try it for sure. If I am not lucky... well there go my money which I would spend for my new mobo and P4, but I will take the risk. 8)

One more thing? somehow if 370GU works in SMP mode on dual PIII motherboards.... Will there be different pin assignment? I doubt it really. Prove me I am wrong. then if coppermines work in SMP on BP6 with some neo modding and mobo modding?... will there be different pin assignment at the end? I hope not... I doubt it would... - we will see that.
I am not deep in Intel specsheets, but it just seems LOGICAL to me if PIII coppermines work dual with NEOs and PIII-S work dual on PIII mobos... You just need to snap one into each other right? Am I wrong? :? Well... :?

One issue I see here is the voltage. One way out is if there is someone here who could mod the BIOS that it would give like 1.8V as default - that would be enough. :lol: I just don't remember if CPU voltage goes to default level when you change the CPU's... if not, so there is no problem - you just set it at 1.5V before going shut down and do the job...

ANY IDEAS HERE? :D
Dual C366@550MHz 1.90V :) (History)
yet single PIII-S 512Kb L2 cache at 1400MHz@700MHz
BP6 (not modded yet)
256MB PC133 C2
GF4Ti4200-8x
Maxtor 2x60Gb - all on promise ATA133
Lite-On LTR 40125S@48125W!!!
Plus P4 system