What new CPUs are compatiable with the BP6?

BCN

Re: deal

Post by BCN »

thefrog wrote:
Buffy_Fan wrote:Here's a link to the chips that I think he was referring to. Are we fairly confident these would work or no?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... DE=WEM381Z

price....59.99 :)
just found this forum--what was the verdict on this processor? usable or not? If so, does it require modification to board?
thanks

Man, it is Tualatin Celeron ONLY capable for single processing, if you wanna use it on BP6, so forget SMP, buy Powerleap NEO370T (that's the new FCPGA2->PPGA adapter), put this in and go for a ride. then there is probability, you would need some cap changing on mobo for better stability :)
Dual C366@550MHz 1.90V :) (History)
yet single PIII-S 512Kb L2 cache at 1400MHz@700MHz
BP6 (not modded yet)
256MB PC133 C2
GF4Ti4200-8x
Maxtor 2x60Gb - all on promise ATA133
Lite-On LTR 40125S@48125W!!!
Plus P4 system
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

testing - what happened to Message Delete??
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

kennyj,
With the P-III/1100E BP6 that can't boot if FSB is set faster than 98MHz - I already have EverCool 715 copper HSF +70mm fan. Cpu rarely goes over 90F. degrees.
The freeze-up happens very early in the boot process - even before the Win-XP gets down to the serious business of loading. I'm sure that the HPT366 is part of this problem. It's just some wierd problem. After the BP6FSB.EXE utility gooses it up to 110MHz it will run for days running serious games like NOLF2 etc w/o any problems.
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

RRLedford wrote:testing - what happened to Message Delete??
No such thing! :D
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

I've only tried (& failed to boot) at 99,100, & 110MHz. I'll take your tip and give all the other in between ones a try too.
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

The question is - are these FCPGA or FCPGA2. Tualatin core CPUs have always been FCPGA2 previously. Many ads will misidentify the FCPGA2 CPUs as FCPGA. I recently was in a CDW store that had a sign up saying a P-III was FCPGA and the Intel box said FCPGA2. After I wrote the "2" on the sign, the next day they had put it back to FCPGA, mislabeled.

No reports of success running FCPGA2 chips on the BP6 have surfaced yet. PowerLeap states that the Neo370/t adapter is not BP6 compatible. They don't say WHY, the just say NOT.
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

RRLedford wrote:I recently was in a CDW store that had a sign up saying a P-III was FCPGA and the Intel box said FCPGA2. After I wrote the "2" on the sign, the next day they had put it back to FCPGA, mislabeled.
LOL! That was helpful of you RR! How ungrateful they are in CDW :x
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

No FCPGA CPUs faster than 1100Mhz have been reported. As I said, if a spec says FCPGA/1.3GHz (1.266 actual) it's most likely an FCPGA2 Tualatin core CPU - NOT-COMPATIBLE with BP6 using any known adapaters.
The fact that any 100MHz FSB Tualatin CPUs exist surprises me. Maybe a Neo370 combined with a Neo370/T would handle one of these, but nobody has tried & reported success so far.
Intel could throw a curveball and introduce a new CPU in the FCPGA line but don't hold your breath waiting for this miove!
BCN

Post by BCN »

RRLedford wrote:No FCPGA CPUs faster than 1100Mhz have been reported. As I said, if a spec says FCPGA/1.3GHz (1.266 actual) it's most likely an FCPGA2 Tualatin core CPU - NOT-COMPATIBLE with BP6 using any known adapaters.
The fact that any 100MHz FSB Tualatin CPUs exist surprises me. Maybe a Neo370 combined with a Neo370/T would handle one of these, but nobody has tried & reported success so far.
Intel could throw a curveball and introduce a new CPU in the FCPGA line but don't hold your breath waiting for this miove!
For 1.266 are only PIII-S SMP Capable with 512Kb L2 cache and SMP NOT-capable PIII FCPGA2 256Kb L2. if it is 1.300, it is 1.300 and it is celeron Tualatin (FCPGA2) with 128Kb L2. there are no other 1.300 P3s.

there is not 1.300 and 1.266 actual - they are different!!! ;)

You CANNOT put neo 370/T into Neo370S, cause the former one is for FCPGA2->PPGA conversion and the latter one is for FCPGA->PPGA conversion, so you cannot put PPGA pins in FCPGA holes and into PPGA pins in modo and think it would work... NO WAY, man!

what you can try is upgradeware 370GU adapter (FCPGA2->FCPGA SMP capable adapter) with NEO370S, which I will try as soon as I get them!

THe ones from powerleap I get tomorrow in the morning, the others... still don't know when... - they have to be on the way.
BP6 (not modded yet)
256MB PC133 C2
GF4Ti4200-8x
Plus P4 system
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

Thanks for this clarification. I now see why the Upgradeware adapter might be worth the $35 they cost here in the USA. If it will let a BP6 with an existing Neo370 take a 1.4Ghz P-III Tualatin I'm ready to order one ASAP! I just hope the modded BP6 BIOSs for P-III microcode are compatible with these newest CPUs.
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

OK, you're first on the list.
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

RRLedford wrote:Thanks for this clarification. I now see why the Upgradeware adapter might be worth the $35 they cost here in the USA. If it will let a BP6 with an existing Neo370 take a 1.4Ghz P-III Tualatin I'm ready to order one ASAP! I just hope the modded BP6 BIOSs for P-III microcode are compatible with these newest CPUs.
Adapter, on adapter + CPU; hah! And I thought getting the golden orb to clip on the socket was hard :lol:
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

Assuming that BCN has success with the double adapter and a Tualatin core P-III, the next question I have is whether these .13 micron chips are less power-hungry that all the older ones?

BTW, I don't recall what the solution to the lower limit on the BP6's voltage to the CPU issue. If the Upgradeware adapter can also lower the BP6's too-high voltage for the Tualatin spec, then he is into some good territory!

I'm curious whether the overall power requirememts of a Tualatin CPU are lower than the older CPUs supported by the BP6? Would the stock H/W handle dual Tualatin without needing the mods for power stability?
BCN

Post by BCN »

RRLedford wrote:Assuming that BCN has success with the double adapter and a Tualatin core P-III, the next question I have is whether these .13 micron chips are less power-hungry that all the older ones?

BTW, I don't recall what the solution to the lower limit on the BP6's voltage to the CPU issue. If the Upgradeware adapter can also lower the BP6's too-high voltage for the Tualatin spec, then he is into some good territory!

I'm curious whether the overall power requirememts of a Tualatin CPU are lower than the older CPUs supported by the BP6? Would the stock H/W handle dual Tualatin without needing the mods for power stability?
I think tualatins WILL be more power hungry... :) and that's bad for the voltage regulation circuitry on BP6 - I just hope it could handle 66MHz FSB before modding it (I just wanna see first id it would work before actually ordering 1.4GHz tualatins). I will try with friend's PIII-S :) if he lets me... :)

I do not think there is big problem with CPU voltage on BP6 - it can give from 1.3V as I recall :) so I would just need to get into BIOS QUITE fast to change it to 1.5V or something, cause 30%+ voltage over default is hot for it... :)

Stock heatsink/fan combo should handle tualtins quite easily, just the mobbo will need modding for stability issues I am quite sure of that! :( Well, I am gonna take that risk! :)

The challenge will be to hook those heatsinks on top of 2 adapters plus CPU... :( I will need to look into that, but I already have some ideas :)

I already got my powerleap adapters
though I had to pay like 60% of import VAT!!! - from now on I will ask all the sites I shop please not to put any invoice on top of the package, just address, cause you really get F....d, when you pay 60%!!!!! more than its prize... plus count next day air shipment, as it is the only option from powerleap to ship internationally... :( - it is like I paid 120USD for a pair of them to reach my home... :(
BP6 (not modded yet)
256MB PC133 C2
GF4Ti4200-8x
Plus P4 system
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

Wow! That really stings. As for the HSF attachment, consider the "paperclip" exension. It works well with single adapters. You wrap a paper clip thru the hole in the HSF clip end. Then shape a loop extension that grabs the socket protrusion.
With (2) adapters stacked, the paper clip extenders may be needed at both sides of the clip, because a long extension at one end might give too much "tilt asymetry"
Last edited by RRLedford on Mon Dec 30, 2002 6:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BCN

Post by BCN »

Yeah, that is a good idea, though i have been thinking about salvaging the clips from older heatsinks and to try and hook one onto other and bending their ends... well, I still need to lok at them closer.

Thanks.
BP6 (not modded yet)
256MB PC133 C2
GF4Ti4200-8x
Plus P4 system
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

Keep on watching the new on BP6.Com guys, Tim found a nice little adapter :mrgreen:
Blueneko
aka Gabumon

Post by Blueneko »

:shock: Pricy
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

I see they are doing discount for bulk orders. Perhaps you should get together?