Dead Board

Lycaon

Dead Board

Post by Lycaon »

Help!

I am stumped, but that does not take a lot of doing.
I have aquired a second hand BP6 with 2 x 433 cele processors.
After installing it in a new 300W case with known working 256MB PC133 and known working PCI matrox vid card. I got it to boot but kept coming up with CPU unworkable message changed BIOS to correct settings and tried to save and exit and it hung. Have tried to flash BIOS to ABit RU BIOS but it would not write so had new chip and BIOS sent from www.badflash.com. Still got CPU unworkable message and it wont boot from HD. got floppy to work and attempted a floppy boot but it hung on last disk. Now it won't even go to splash screen. Currently have board out of case on box incase of short circuit, but that does not make a difference. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Lycaon
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

Are you trying to overclock the BP6?
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
Lycaon

Post by Lycaon »

That is the aim, but at the moment I am just trying to get it up and running. Problem is I don't know what abuse it has suffered in the hands of it's previous owner.
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

When you were trying to use one CPU, make sure you are using the socket next to the RAM sockets.
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
Blueneko
aka Gabumon

Post by Blueneko »

Ive worked on about 6 ~ 10 tyan trinity boards ive aquired, all were "as is untested" all had problems that were easily fixed,

Ive notived that if theres a squished pci slot, and the pins touching one another that could prevent a boot on that board, might be the same for a bp6.

Hands on experience, do not use small tools in pci slot when computer on, will see brilliant orange and white sparks come from the pci slot then slot being unusable! :D
Lycaon

Post by Lycaon »

Thanks for info, will check the PCi slots and try one CPU again tonight.
Lycaon

Post by Lycaon »

:( Guys I have checked the PCI/ISA/AGP slots to see if there is a short circuit but there appears not to be. Have run the board with one CPU in both sockets no RAM no Vid card. I am getting nothing not a single beep. All the caps look of, no sign of meltdown. I am lost any further suggestions appreciated.

Btw what is JP1 for?

Lycaon
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

Clear the CMOS & move the RAM between all slots.
Either CPU Socket370 will boot by itself - one is usually more stable.
Don't trust your power supply! Many are crap & some boards hide the fact.
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

What is JP1 on the motherboard?

JP1 is for Power on after Power failure. Mainly used for remote servers. This allows the system to Reboot by Itself after any power failure. Set jumper on switch to pins 1-2 for Power on after Power failure. Default position for jumper on switch is pins 2-3. Setup your BIOS accordingly!

JP1 is located between the WinBond and IO/ACPI chips. Almost in-line with PCI Slot4.

Most of the above information comes from one of the first BP6 masters, Jr Leduc. Thanx, Jr. Where ever you are... :)
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
Lycaon

Post by Lycaon »

Well I have tried all combination of one CPU and one RAM stick and absolutely nothing. I know the processor and ram works as I tried it in another machine.

Am I right in saying it is dead?

Lycaon
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

Does it boot to the graphics card BIOS startup message?
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
Lycaon

Post by Lycaon »

Hyperspace,

It does absolutely nothing, ever since it crashed on floppy boot I can't even get it to post.

Lycaon
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

Other than using one of the POST testers or having competent computer tech look at the mainboard, it doesn't look too good. :(
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
Lycaon

Post by Lycaon »

It does not look good :cry:

I had a really good look over the board last night and found that one of the small flat components near the PCI slot at the edge of the board has been damaged. :( It has 8 soldered connections and it looks like a PCI card has hit it and chipped off the corner of the component.

Does anyone know if this sort of thing can be replaced :?:

Lycaon
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

Your board is not worth what it will normally cost to fix it with soldering!
Look to buy a used BP6 or another newer board that can still handle your existing H/W items. On EBay I got a new Dual CPU board for $40. When my BP6 died a few weeks ago, I swapped it right into the system and reinstalled WinnXP-Pro right over the old build. Everything came right back just the way it was before & now I can OC my single P-III/1100E to 115MHz FSB.
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

RRLedford wrote:Your board is not worth what it will normally cost to fix it with soldering!
Look to buy a used BP6 or another newer board that can still handle your existing H/W items. On EBay I got a new Dual CPU board for $40. When my BP6 died a few weeks ago, I swapped it right into the system and reinstalled WinnXP-Pro right over the old build. Everything came right back just the way it was before & now I can OC my single P-III/1100E to 115MHz FSB.
You have one of your BP6's O/C'd to 115Mhz FSB? Wow! How? :shock:
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

No, my 3rd BP6 died & I used the ACORP 6A815EPD to replace it rather than doing the Cap replacements.
The new ACORP board has a 115MHz increment OC option. It also handles 133MHz with OC increments to 166. With Dual FCPGA sockets, it is also Dual Tualatin compatible using Upgradeware adapters. At $40 from EBay, this ACORP make a fantastic stand-in for the dead BP6. I've not tried the integrated Promise Fastrak Lite RAID controller yet. Biggest negative is the 512MB max RAM (3 mem slots)
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

I see. Very cool. Was looking on PriceWatch and found your board for $99 (US). Looks like your deal from EBay is very sweet! And, Dual Tualatin CPU's with 512KB cache, would be even sweeter! :D
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...