Venerable BP6 w/ extensive mods by Zetetic on eBay...:)

For sale ads / Stuff wanted ads
zetetic2

Venerable BP6 w/ extensive mods by Zetetic on eBay...:)

Post by zetetic2 »

Hi all:

Well, it's finally leaving the family - built my dad a P4 and the BP6 has come back to my house. I've got it up on a no reserve auction item#3474971713 or http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3474971713 , ends Sunday.

Please read the full description, I of course hate to let it go but hope it finds a happy new home! "Bid early and often" "contents may have settled" "objects in mirror are just bigger than you expect"

Cheers,
ZETETIC

BTW the new BP6.COM looks great, glad to see it trucking along!
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

Welcome back, zetetic!

Thanx for letting us know about your excellently modded BP6 mainboard!

Now, what am I going to tell my wife...

We need a backup computer so we always have access to our tax record information. Yeah! That's it! :twisted:
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
zetetic2

Post by zetetic2 »

Hey Hyperspace, long time... :)

I think the best part is I never blew it up, despite all the work!! Had a VP6 that died on one CPU socket after that, renewed thru warranty but never could get the kind of bus throughput I wanted. Replaced it with an Iwill 266R and have gotten a lot of high speed mileage out of that, not too modded except for the heatsinks (cut down some monsters for the P3s).

Best to all, and of course, "bid high bid often"... ;)

Cheers,
Zetetic
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

Hey zetetic!

Not interested in your board I'm afraid (no cash), but nice to hear from you again.

:D :D :D
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

It's good to see you.

So, have you modded your current rig? :)
-Derek
headseed

Post by headseed »

Good luck hyperspace, I hope its you that grabs it!
Dual Barton Mobile 1.8ghz
Venice 3000+ @ 2.6ghz
lots of BP6s and two VP6s all apart currently
BCN

Post by BCN »

Is there any how to to all those stabilizing mods? it is actually QUITE interesting... :D

Anyone?..
Dual C366@550MHz 1.90V :) (History)
yet single PIII-S 512Kb L2 cache at 1400MHz@700MHz
BP6 (not modded yet)
256MB PC133 C2
GF4Ti4200-8x
Maxtor 2x60Gb - all on promise ATA133
Lite-On LTR 40125S@48125W!!!
Plus P4 system
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

I was going to bid but then I realized hyper has the high bid.

I guess I’ll hold out as long as you promise to take a lot of pics man! :D

Do the mobo justice!
-Derek
headseed

Post by headseed »

Went for $61, the sdram alone is worth almost twice that.
Venice 3000+ @ 2.6ghz
headseed

Post by headseed »

And another bp6 combo ended today, had 466s, 64MB ram, and alphas.. went for $63, $2 more than the modded uber bp6 with 512MB... :umm: :grr: :whoops: :umm:
Venice 3000+ @ 2.6ghz
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

Shoot! I haven't been watching my email very closely. Damn! Hope it is going to a good home. :lol:
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
zetetic2

Post by zetetic2 »

Hi all, thanx for the great comments.

Now, as to the auction - man, that sucked! eBay's always a crapshoot, but man, $61!!! I agree.

The sniper who won is a parter and reseller with 9K plus feedbacks. I returned his money, told him there was an error in the listing...

Yeah, I forgot to put "NO RESELLERS! MUST GO TO GOOD HOME!" :twisted:

Hyper has the highest bid and I told him he can have it for his bid. Tim asked about it too and would do some articles (cool! I could maybe help out on that! :wink: I've got notes and pics on a lot of it) so he gets an option on it after Hyperspace at $61. Still cheap, yeah, that guy palm54 would take it apart and sell the RAM and CPUs seperately, total waste.

Tim said he'll go for it, my other option is to run a longer auction but why? It's not about the bucks, a lot of the reason people do this stuff is cause it's cheap and fun! Maybe I could get more, but face it, you look at a board with mods and unless you're into modding you think, uh oh, that's trouble.

When everybody checks in I'll see what'll happen. Looks like this BP6 goodness will be coming home to roost on BP6.com, can't beat that.

Cheers,
Zetetic
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

Woo Hoo !

Be emailing you later when I get home!
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
headseed

Post by headseed »

Yeah, I noticed that the winning bidder had mucho sales of ram/p3s/mobos/etc, he just bids on combos and splits them up. Not anything inherently wrong with it, but in this case, I agree.

You would've thought ppl would have bid at least 100 for the ram alone, that guy almost got away with murder. Like I said, a 2x466 combo, unmodded with only 64MB went the same day for $63. Go figure.
Venice 3000+ @ 2.6ghz
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

zetetic: Sounds like you're doing a good thing - keep it in the BP6 brotherhood. :)

Stick around.
Like BP6.com? Not a member?
Then why the hell not? It's great!
-> BP6.com Membership <-
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

z, pm'd u.
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

So what happened to you zetetic? Where'd you run off to all this time?
-Derek
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

You should only let this board go to someone who will try and get DUAL TUALATIN CPUs running with it on stacked PowerLeap/Lin-Lin adapters.
Anyone up to this challenge?? I've got the adapters, but the CPU not cheap enough yet for me.
Zero point energy
BCN

Post by BCN »

I have them but with the other type of adapers :)

PIII-S 1400MHz 512Kb Cache on top of Upgradeware GU370 adapter on top of Powerleap Neo S370 adapter, the latter ones have one track cut.

I have not still modded the board, but will do it in soon time. Still BIOS recognizes both processors and as you might well guess it is COMPLETELY unstable if you want anything into OS and without modding.

At the moment I have one CPU running at 700MHz for the stability's sake before I install all the mods needed for the power circuit and stability.

Yes, they are still damn expensive - at the range of P4 3GHz. I took the risk and spend the money... :D
BP6 (not modded yet)
256MB PC133 C2
GF4Ti4200-8x
Plus P4 system
zetetic2

Post by zetetic2 »

Ok, I'll try to slip this update before the thread goes totally off:

First, Hyperspace will get the board (yeah!) for his high bid of $60 (what a deal)...but wait there's more...he gets to choose a VIDCARD from a relics list! Thank god the ISA card went into a piece of, uhm, artwork at Christmas. :wink:

Second, I'll burn the pics I have on all the mods on a CD and send that to Tim, dig up my notes and document whatever can be. Some of the stuff was written up previously.

Third, where did I go? Ah, well, I did post notice that I was going off to Iwill land, I thing. Fun playing with dual P3 goodness on the VP6, but you know, that just worked OK but the board didn't have the heart of the BP6 somehow and the bugger died - got a replacement board to sell. I'm currently getting better performance out of an Iwill DVD-266r, 1GHz P3s running at 1125 24/7/100%. Sweet setup, still one can't have too much speed and I've been contemplating a dual Xeon setup since Intel cut prices on those huge-cached chips in response to AMD. But AMD...hmmm. Got a nice Athlon-1200 setup on an Abit KT7E for my shop machine (see below) that runs 1260 very happily into a solid copper HSF and actually outperforms the P3s individually. And not to mention the spare machine, a surprisingly rare Abit ZM6 (anybody heard of that?) - a strange board but it happily runs a P3-533 Celeron at a 806Mhz overclock - yeah Abit! This latter were all eBay acquisitions.

But basically, I started a new business going on two years ago: Obsidian Optics, Inc. (have a website at www.obsidianoptics.com, duh). I'm making telescope mirrors of highest quality for the amateur astronomer trade. Takes more than all my time, however, at present. Been into that optics stuff for quite a while, the rise of eBay got me thinking about how to sell it internationally, that and Astromart are good outlets. Been building a reputation for precision work and in the background (spare time?) working on roboticizing much of the production - the plan from day one. This means homebuilt robotics (heavy duty x-y motion control and image acquisition/reduction software), enough on my plate!

But in the long run it'll pay it back in droves as nobody is doing what I'm working on. The controller Athlon machine is running Linux currently, networked with the Iwill under W2K from office to garage, er, shop so there'll be MP3s down there off the main machine. :roll: But the Athlon might end up under W2K as well, the availability of free machine control software and a good platform to develop the semi-expert system that controls the machine control that feeds the power drivers that run the heavy-duty steppers that turn the leadscrews that move the work piece... Did I mention the encoders that monitor the absolute position of the work piece to correct cumulative errors? Bloody sounds like a job - well, it's making more and more sense to me. Next step is battlebots, you bet. :twisted:

So the Iwill is pretty stock - the board's worked great so long as you don't use the USB (put in a USB2 board) and fool with the memory (seating problem, the tabs are mostly broken now). But the chipset on this board really gets performance out of good old cheap P3s using DDR memory (some of that early high-performance stuff, 512Mb). Still, I've slipped way behind all those P4s crunching Prime95s (how far you ask? Well, had made it into the top 1000 for a while, now am sitting/sliding down around 1468 :( , need those dual Xeons (p4s). Dual AMD-64s (haven't checked it out) would be way cool unless they're too hot. I mean, I'm so buried I haven't surfed 2cpu.com in over a year!

Other comments:

RRL: Nah, I hope Hyperspace doesn't try to stuff Tualatins into this venerable BP6. The chipset isn't great for that, people. I know it's like an ultimate challenge - I bet if he did try it on this board it'd work on account of the stability mods. Thought about it myself with P3s, but back then powerleap was so dodgy in so many ways it wasn't appealing. And I didn't want to mess the board up - god, look at what it's survived so far! :lol:

BCN: Man, that's crazy! Right on!

Enough already, I'll be checking in from time to time, probably have a lifetime membership 8)

ZETETIC
zetetic2

Post by zetetic2 »

Ok, I'll try to slip this update before the thread goes totally off:

First, Hyperspace will get the board (yeah!) for his high bid of $60 (what a deal)...but wait there's more...he gets to choose a VIDCARD from a relics list! Thank god the ISA card went into a piece of, uhm, artwork at Christmas. :wink:

Second, I'll burn the pics I have on all the mods on a CD and send that to Tim, dig up my notes and document whatever can be. Some of the stuff was written up previously.

Third, where did I go? Ah, well, I did post notice that I was going off to Iwill land, I thing. Fun playing with dual P3 goodness on the VP6, but you know, that just worked OK but the board didn't have the heart of the BP6 somehow and the bugger died - got a replacement board to sell. I'm currently getting better performance out of an Iwill DVD-266r, 1GHz P3s running at 1125 24/7/100%. Sweet setup, still one can't have too much speed and I've been contemplating a dual Xeon setup since Intel cut prices on those huge-cached chips in response to AMD. But AMD...hmmm. Got a nice Athlon-1200 setup on an Abit KT7E for my shop machine (see below) that runs 1260 very happily into a solid copper HSF and actually outperforms the P3s individually. And not to mention the spare machine, a surprisingly rare Abit ZM6 (anybody heard of that?) - a strange board but it happily runs a P3-533 Celeron at a 806Mhz overclock - yeah Abit! This latter were all eBay acquisitions.

But basically, I started a new business going on two years ago: Obsidian Optics, Inc. (have a website at www.obsidianoptics.com, duh). I'm making telescope mirrors of highest quality for the amateur astronomer trade. Takes more than all my time, however, at present. Been into that optics stuff for quite a while, the rise of eBay got me thinking about how to sell it internationally, that and Astromart are good outlets. Been building a reputation for precision work and in the background (spare time?) working on roboticizing much of the production - the plan from day one. This means homebuilt robotics (heavy duty x-y motion control and image acquisition/reduction software), enough on my plate!

But in the long run it'll pay it back in droves as nobody is doing what I'm working on. The controller Athlon machine is running Linux currently, networked with the Iwill under W2K from office to garage, er, shop so there'll be MP3s down there off the main machine. :roll: But the Athlon might end up under W2K as well, the availability of free machine control software and a good platform to develop the semi-expert system that controls the machine control that feeds the power drivers that run the heavy-duty steppers that turn the leadscrews that move the work piece... Did I mention the encoders that monitor the absolute position of the work piece to correct cumulative errors? Bloody sounds like a job - well, it's making more and more sense to me. Next step is battlebots, you bet. :twisted:

So the Iwill is pretty stock - the board's worked great so long as you don't use the USB (put in a USB2 board) and fool with the memory (seating problem, the tabs are mostly broken now). But the chipset on this board really gets performance out of good old cheap P3s using DDR memory (some of that early high-performance stuff, 512Mb). Still, I've slipped way behind all those P4s crunching Prime95s (how far you ask? Well, had made it into the top 1000 for a while, now am sitting/sliding down around 1468 :( , need those dual Xeons (p4s). Dual AMD-64s (haven't checked it out) would be way cool unless they're too hot. I mean, I'm so buried I haven't surfed 2cpu.com in over a year!

Other comments:

RRL: Nah, I hope Hyperspace doesn't try to stuff Tualatins into this venerable BP6. The chipset isn't great for that, people. I know it's like an ultimate challenge - I bet if he did try it on this board it'd work on account of the stability mods. Thought about it myself with P3s, but back then powerleap was so dodgy in so many ways it wasn't appealing. And I didn't want to mess the board up - god, look at what it's survived so far! :lol:

BCN: Man, that's crazy! Right on!

Enough already, I'll be checking in from time to time, probably have a lifetime membership 8)

ZETETIC
BCN

Post by BCN »

and TIM fo course will publish here all the notes and the photos, graphs etc. o this forum, right? :D
BP6 (not modded yet)
256MB PC133 C2
GF4Ti4200-8x
Plus P4 system
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

ARG

s HYPERSPACE was the one who outbid me!

ARG

i bid $50 and was thwarted immediately >:|
!!! WARNING !!!
The following forums: www.bp6.com
are infected with the following VIRUS(s): Kuun.infected.all.posts.Win2K.user

The following IRC servers has been exploited: irc.bp6.com
with the Following Exploit: Kuun.lurks.using.mIRC.v5.82.exploit
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

Class of '76 rules AGAIN !!!!!!
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

davd_bob wrote:Class of '76 rules AGAIN !!!!!!
Yes, indeed.

The Spirit of '76 flies high!
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...