Fitting new Caps

Batch codes, RAM specs, BIOS settings, etc..
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

Hey thanks for posting this great tip. I was imagining using this exact idea & wondered if it would work. Your success has inspired me to go ahead & replace the caps on my one (of three) dead BP6 boards!
g0fvt

Post by g0fvt »

Hi, changing the caps is not overly easy, a bit fiddly though, personally I am a bit wary about running a drill through the holes as you may end up drilling out the plated through holes on the board which is multi-layered. A friend and I have done half a dozen or so BP6s and a couple of VP6s. (And an old HP)

We found it easier to do clear the holes with the soldering iron on one side of the board and a desoldering pump on the other. In some instances a stainless steel needle can help to clear the holes out. All of the BP6s we have done are happily running again, as is one of the VP6s and the HP, the only one I don't know about was someone we did a VP6 for as a favour who never emailed me to say he had received it or if it worked. (maybe no news is good news)

A workmate of mine has just had his second BP6 fail so we will be doing that in the next few weeks.

The capacitor values are NOT fussy as they are just supply decoupling, on my grotty old web page at www.lisney.org.uk you will see a BP6 with very big capacitors fitted, this machine is massively stable but to be honest the board is tidier with 2200uF capacitors as they tend to be a little smaller.

In mine even the infamous EC10 is now 4,700uF, I have not replaced the voltage regulator in all of the ones we have repaired as it has not been necessary.

Good Luck to anyone undertaking this, it is fiddly but at the end of the day you can extend the life of the motherboard and perhaps let it spend it's retirement as a server.

David