Did I fry my BP6?

Batch codes, RAM specs, BIOS settings, etc..
Derek
Site Admin

Re: Did I fry my BP6?

Post by Derek »

DarthVain wrote:Hey,
Have had a BP6 for quite awhile (well untill recently). Was quite a machine, dual modded glorbs, 120GB RAID, 6 case fans, dual Celly 433's OC'ed to 533, etc, etc... I had temp monitor programs running and all that jazz, was 100% stable very low temps (26-36C depending on load, abit noisy though :) WinXP Pro...
Anyway one night I came back from the bar and decided that Warcraft 3 would be a good idea... During a particulary crazy battle, the whole thing just freezes up... Still on, but screen freezed, and mouse/keyboard did nothing. Tried crtl-alt-del, nothing, tried reset, nothing, tried power button, nothing, finally I had to resort to cutting the power from the back using the PSU off/on. It cut the power and shut it off. I then turned the power back on and tried to press the power button... Well the neon comes on, all 6 fans including 2 more cpu fans start spinning... but that about it. No post. No beep codes. no nothing.
Anyway I tried a few things, seting cards, ram and the like, nothing. I think it is fried. I figure either the board is fried, one or both of the cpus are fried, or all of the above. Anyway just wondering if anyone has any ideas, or even a way to test what is still working and what is toast. While I did have it overclocked to 533 up from 433, I didn't mess with the voltage, the actual board is unmodded, and while it was running it ran pretty cool and stable. I don't think it could be the vid card as that would at least give beep codes, and I tried a replacement as well to no avail. The OS resides on a sepreate 6 GB HD so it couldn't be a RAID failure (again I would probably get partial post or beep codes for that as well). I have no idea what happend (admittedly I was pretty tipsy at the time..
) The only thing I could figure, is perhaps either it was under so much load the PSU spiked and fried the board, or while it froze up the load escalated and because it was froze the temp monitors (both in BIOS and MBM) couldn't shut down so it fried... Or perhaps it wasn't reporting my temps correctly and I was running too hot too long and it fried.
Anyway does anyone have any suggestions? (or even condoleances) :(
Thanks,
DarthVain
Take a good, close look at all the motherboard capacitors... And try each CPU separately.
Derek
Site Admin

Re: What should I look for?

Post by Derek »

DarthVain wrote:I will try the CPUs seperatly... what should I look for on the capacitors? Discoloration? Or when they blow/pop is it very apparent (like melting or blown up or something)?
Discoloration, bulging, leaks… Sometimes it will not be apparent so you need to look closely; because they adjust voltage on such a small range even the slightest malfunction can wreak havoc.
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

look for a yellowish goo lewaking out

buldging

the top not flat

the cap surprisingly "taller" than the rest
funny bulbing of the sides

stuff like that

i have a bp6 that has 15 blown/leaking caps
!!! WARNING !!!
The following forums: www.bp6.com