abnormal temps

Batch codes, RAM specs, BIOS settings, etc..
kuun
Post-O-Matic

abnormal temps

Post by kuun »

ok..

i have noticed that over the last few weeks.. my temps have been getting farther and farther off..

cpu1 cpu2 sys
41 39 37

it started with occasional 1 point difference...

my CPU temps have always been the same.. why would they fluctuate now?

BTW... this is at 100% usage... my temps don't change from 0% to 100% usage anymore..

Kuun
!!! WARNING !!!
The following forums: www.bp6.com
are infected with the following VIRUS(s): Kuun.infected.all.posts.Win2K.user

The following IRC servers has been exploited: irc.bp6.com
with the Following Exploit: Kuun.lurks.using.mIRC.v5.82.exploit
longjohn

Post by longjohn »

You're not the only one having odd temperatures from their BP6.

Last weekend I was woken up at 4:30am by the temperature alarm going off.

The machine itself was bought new back in 2000, and I got two identical celeron P3 500s (I used the enclosed heatsinks as they were retail). It has always been in a full-tower case.

For a while it only had one disk in it (an IDE) until September 2002, when it got promoted to file server and had four Compaq 10Krpm SCSI-3 18.2GB drives and an Adaptec 2940UW card (niiiice :wink:).

Unfortunately these drives pump out a LOT of heat, and although it was a blazing summer over here last year, the machine kept running pretty much constantly.

After last weekend, I installed MDM and have been getting some worrying figures from it. It seems to think my case is running at 67°C, and each processor is running at 57° and 54°. However, using SIS, it reports different figures, saying the case was 57°, proc 1 at 57.5°, but proc 2 is 70.5°!

Please bear in mind these temps are correct at time of posting. Now, also bear in mind that I added another SIX fans to the machine to help circulate some air (one big 8cm at back sucking, one at front blowing, with two near the drives, two near the PSU, etc.).

Question is.. who do I believe? The BIOS temp gague led me to believe it was all running <40°C , even with all the disks spinning. It could be the age of the machine, I could almost certainly replace the CPU heatsinks. Maybe the sensors are broken.

Do I need to throw even more cooling in this thing? Soon I'll end up with more fans than a football stadium. :D

LJ.
24seven
IRC Lurker

Post by 24seven »

longjohn:
I think the second temperature readings are mixed up. Some programs put the wrong labels on the sensors. To me it looks like proc2 is the system temp and the other two readings are the CPU’s.

kuun:
Shouldn’t have to ask you this, but I take it there is no fluff or dirt in the heatsinks?
If there is some fluff it will cause the CPU to run a little hotter due to reduced airflow, and of course the fluff catches more fluff and the temps get worse.

If there is no fluff, then experiment, try taking the heatsinks off and reinstalling them, if they are still very different then try swapping the CPUs in the sockets see if the same socket still gets hot.
In which case it could be a bad cap.
What are the voltages like?
Are the fan RPM the same for both?
longjohn

Post by longjohn »

Well, after doing some more modification to the fans in my system (swapped one, turned one around) - have now got 62°C case temp, and 51° and 49° for the CPUs.

It ain't perfect by any means.. but it's better than it was, which can only be a good thing. :)

I'm still going to hunt around for other temp monitor software.. because I'm still not 100% sure it's accurate.

~~~~~ Addition

Well, it's still at 62/51/49 - which is good enough news for me. All the fans are clean (took them outside and gave them a good brushing) - I don't need to point a big desk fan at it any more.. (yay!)
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

longjohn,
look at the caps in the 4pack groups on the board. i looks like you may have some bulging or leaking. by the way, welcome to bp6.

hopefully kuun has worked out his temp issue by now.
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100