Difference between versions of BP6?

Batch codes, RAM specs, BIOS settings, etc..
purrkur
Linux Guru

Difference between versions of BP6?

Post by purrkur »

Hi all,

I just got a BP6 after having it on my "want" list for quite some time! The board I got is version 1.0, but I haven't checked the revision number. My question is, what is the difference between the revision 1.0 and 1.1? I have searched for this but seen no decent list of changes Abit did between those two versions. Also, which revision numbers are desirable?

I also got a small cap EC10 and I am going to change that to what it is supposed to be. Since the motherboard is so old (1998) I am thinking about replacing all the larger caps as well just to ensure reliability. I did check them thoroughly and they seem fine, but as they get older their capacitance decreases so getting new ones will probably make the board more stable.

The end result will be a 2x400MHz Celerons running Linux. I might overclock to 450MHz (I know one of my Celerons does this without issues but I haven't tested the other). However, I rate stability above raw speed which is why I might scrap OC'ing all together. This is also the reason why I want to replace all the major caps.

If anybody is aware of mods other than changing the caps (even difficult ones) then please pass them my way.

Cheers,
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

I took a look at your other posts. If your ram will take it, you can run celeron 400s at 92fsb and probably even lower the voltage at that speed. Stay away from 83fsb.
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
Holodeck2
Modder Extraordinaire

Post by Holodeck2 »

check the article portion of this website
there's also the voltage regulator that you want to check out
There's really no need to replace the caps unless they're bad, the typical lifespand is around 15 years without a major degration of their preformance
There's virtually no change between revisions of the board, they just used different components and stuff, it all function the same
yea, back from the dead

If it ain't broken, mod it until it is
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

i agree on the caps. some of the early boards didnt have the bad ones.
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

Thanks for your posts davd_bob and Holodeck2!

This was one of my first posts when I was still learning about the board and reading all the good material that I got from this site. I am a bit up on my knowledge today!

I actually upgraded my 2x400MHz Celerons with 2x533MHz Celerons yesterday evening (bought from eBay) and I have upgraded the onboard memory up to 512MB so now it is smooth sailing for now at least.

As for mods and tweaks, what I have in store is to definitely replace EC10. I am still considering the voltage regulator mod but I am a bit undecided on that one. I am also running stock Intel CPU coolers and I want to replace those with something more efficient as well. Temperature of my 533's is a degree or two down from my 400's (OC'd to 466MHz) but under 100% load the temperature shoots up to a bit over 50 degC. Better coolers and fans should be able to counter that somewhat.

What I would love it to be able to run this board at 2x600MHz (2x75MHz FSB). However, if the CPU's are not stable at full load at that temp then I won't do it. I am thinking of running Gentoo on this box which means a lot of compiling (it is a Debian box today).

The capacitors on the board are all in perfect shape so I won't do anything about them unless I see them bulging or leaking. However, I doubt that all BP6's were built with shitty caps.

Thanks again guys.
Holodeck2
Modder Extraordinaire

Post by Holodeck2 »

if you don't see a major stability problem then you don't need to do any mods.
most instability problems come from OC the cpus beyond their ability
more cooling and try bumping the voltage couple notches from stock but not too high or else you'll cook the poor thing
yea, back from the dead

If it ain't broken, mod it until it is