Usual 'BP6 is slowly dying' story...

Batch codes, RAM specs, BIOS settings, etc..
PaulW

Usual 'BP6 is slowly dying' story...

Post by PaulW »

It's not doing too bad I think, has been on 24/7 now for the past 1.5 years, being rebooted roughly once a week (rebooted it not so long ago), but a few days ago I gave it all a good clean out, replace the thermal grease, and even lapped the CPU's...

But all the 1500uf/6.3v caps are bulging & leaking now, I'm suprised the board still works tbh! Thinking of either replacing these caps so repairing the board, or just upgrading to something a bit quicker!

I've already done the EC10 & VTT fix (did these over 2 years ago), and even the EC10 cap is leaking slightly! Think in a way it could explain the voltages are going mad again!

Also, people often say that CPU1 runs hotter than CPU2... So just wondering if these temps are about right? Also the voltages are getting worse (slowly), and I've also got a 450W PSU plugged in, so its not exactly starved!

These are pretty-much real-time stats, its updated every minute so just after opinions on what to do. Don't really fancy fixing the board tbh, but a few quid on caps compared to few hundred on a new server... well...

Sorry if the speed reads wrong, it should say 501MHz, but WebTemp has a habit of reading crazy values or nothing at all from time-to-time!
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

the caps I can't comment on.
I've only ever needed to do the ec10 on one of my boards (5)

your temps look good, 3-5 degrees diff is okay.
I got some big (huge) coolers that took a heap of temp off the cpus and got them to the same temp... but it's no biggy.
if they was 15 and 42 I'd worry
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

E-mail Jackson about having bad caps. Include a shipping address and tell them you have a BP6.
jackcon@ms14.hinet.net

They shipped me a full set of replacements about 2 weeks later at no charge.

If you don't feel up to the task your self RMA Abit. I havent so I don't have a link for them.

If worst comes to worse, I sure someone will accept an offer to take the board off your hands for shipping costs.
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

you come to a bp6 fanatic board asking whether to fix or upgrade..

hands down fix it!!

and TBH my cpu temps are usually 1-2 degrees F off..

nothing like you are seeing..

95% of the timet hey are the same temp...

now i do have one fan suckign air and the other blowing onto the sink so that may be my difference... but ntohing like you are seeing..

in all honesty... a bp6 is worth more to me than an athlon XP 2800+

a BP6 is a legend and you don't find them everywhere anymore

Kuun
!!! WARNING !!!
The following forums: www.bp6.com
are infected with the following VIRUS(s): Kuun.infected.all.posts.Win2K.user

The following IRC servers has been exploited: irc.bp6.com
with the Following Exploit: Kuun.lurks.using.mIRC.v5.82.exploit