I dood it!!!!

Batch codes, RAM specs, BIOS settings, etc..
jaybird

I dood it!!!!

Post by jaybird »

Finally!

@ PIII, 1100/256/100/1.75's @ 110Mhz (1.21Gig!)

It ain't purdy but it works!

Using the mini Peltier that I found on EBay on the BX, 2, 72 to 95 watt Peltiers @ 12 volts mounted on air cooled FEP-32's (using dual ATX PS per this web site), cap mod and regulator change-out, I am now stable at 1.21 Ghz for the last 24hrs running Prime95 and/or "Burn-It!!

BX is running at about 102 Deg. F. and my PIII's are at about 105 MAX!

I am in the process of taking pic's of MOBO mods(don't laugh, it works!),
Pelts and FEP-32's.

BTW, I am also running dual 1100 PIII's on a Gigabyte GA-6VTXD server @ 112Mhz FSB simply by using the mini-Peltier on the VIA chip set and CompUSA GORB knock-offs.
Holodeck2
Modder Extraordinaire

Post by Holodeck2 »

LOL w00t!
yea, back from the dead

If it ain't broken, mod it until it is
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

Way to go, jaybird !

Guess I'd better garther all this great information from you, BNC, and others that are running newer processors on the BP6 and update some of the FAQ's. :idea:
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

Superb! Can't wait for piccies.
Like BP6.com? Not a member?
Then why the hell not? It's great!
-> BP6.com Membership <-
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

drool
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
jaybird

here are my basic spec's

Post by jaybird »

I have an early Ver. 1 board (it has the metal arms on the ZIF sockets).

Replaced a 100 cap at EC10 with a 6.3 volt 1200 cap.

Voltage requlator is an LM317T from Radio Shack. I didn't even try to remove the old one, I just clipped the leads, soldered 1 lead(ZIF sockets to my left) to the original contact, center leg bent back and soldered to the original regulator "tab", third leg has a 1000 cap tapped off the positive leg of the cap to the leg of the regulator, negative leg of cap is wired through hole in board and soldered to the ground plane on the back side of the board while the positive lead of the cap and the third leg of the regulator is wired directly to the 5 volt source pin on the back side of board board power connector.

I also attached a large heatsink to the free-standing regulator.

Hard to tell you but when the pictures are developed you will be able to see what I did.

I removed the BX "greenie", added Arctic Silver, reinstalled it, put Arctic Silver on the fins on the top side and attached the "mini-Peltier" using a plastic wire tie (I said it wasn't very pretty!).

I took my GlobalWIN FEP-32's that I had had such great success with when running 2, Celeron 366's, reversed the fans to blow down on instead of drawing the air up and through the heat sink(doesn't cool as well).
However, condensation is , now, not a problem. Remember, my Pelts are air cooled and NOT sealed around the CPU's.

The Pelts are glued to the bottom of my FEP-32's using GE clear "general purpose glue & seal" silicone (good to -65 Deg. F and +400 Deg. F.

Because of the added thickness of the Pelts and the NEO 370's the standard heatsink hold down clips could not be used. So, number one, I used the adjustable clips that came with the NEO's and, number two, I used the old paper clip trick(I fashioned horse-shoe shaped extentions that clipped into the ends of the hold down clamps).

Thats pretty much it.

I am using the newest BIOS listed on this website, 2 unmatched PIII's, not lapped, a total of 512 meg of P133 ram(1, 256, 2, 128's).

Dual-boot, WIN98SE/WIN2000 Pro

almost every slot is filled(1, ISA open, #1 as is PCI 4)

AGP uses a Matrox G400, 32meg, dual-head card
PCI 1, WinTV GO! capture card
PCI 2, Adaptec SCSII for my Microtek X6EL scanner
PCI 3, is a generic Firewire card sharing with the HighPoint controller
PCI 5, SBLive Platinum 5.1
ISA 2, generic NIC

And "yes" I am using the on-board HighPoint controller, BIOS 1.22 I believe, and the 1.28 drivers

Power supply is a generic CompUSA 350 watt unit

I have 4 optical drives, 2 on IDE1, 2 on IDE2, a WD 20gig drive on IDE3 and a 60gig Maxtor on IDE4

Oh, and a SBL "Live Drive", Sony SuperStation tape drive and a ZIP drive

This is all in a SuperMicro 750A case.

If I missed anything let me know!

Regards,

jaybird
Holodeck2
Modder Extraordinaire

Post by Holodeck2 »

PICS! :mrgreen:
SuperMicro 750A - I have that one :wink: good case, good choice
yea, back from the dead

If it ain't broken, mod it until it is
jaybird

Bought a new "widget" for my "baby"! now

Post by jaybird »

Ok, I guess you all know by now that I just can't leave well enough alone :wink: .

Ya see, I found this here new "widget" on EBay(my wife has forbidden me to utter that name, let alone use my credit card on "IT") :roll:

I have 4 optical drives and 2 hard drives on my BP6. I use this as a video editing workstation running Adobe Premiere 6.5 and MovieXone.

Just for the record, it takes everything I throw at it and doesn't drop a single frame!

So to make a long story short I bought a SIIG USB 2.0+1394+UltraATA RAID card. This now allows me to have every "storage device" on a different channel, pick up 4 additional USB ports, 3 Firewire ports as well as RAID 0, 1 & 0+1 if I want it!

This thingy is as slick as snot on a glass door knob! By having every device on a different channel and running at ATA 66/100 for my 2 7200rpm hard drives I believe I have achieved maximum through-put and finally maxed out this board! (oops, need to goto 768 meg cass 2 ram, wonder how I can slip that passed the wife :twisted: )

I know, I'll write it off as a "business expense!" :twisted:

Regards,

jaybird :lol:
BCN

Post by BCN »

congratulations and we are all waiting for the pics :)
Dual C366@550MHz 1.90V :) (History)
yet single PIII-S 512Kb L2 cache at 1400MHz@700MHz
BP6 (not modded yet)
256MB PC133 C2
GF4Ti4200-8x
Maxtor 2x60Gb - all on promise ATA133
Lite-On LTR 40125S@48125W!!!
Plus P4 system
jaybird

Pics are still comming!!!!

Post by jaybird »

Sorry group, I just simply haven't had the time to take and develop the pic's :cry:

Yeah, I know, I promised but making a living comes first and since I have been out of work for over a year ----------, sorry, but they will still be posted when I have the time.

Again, nothing that you haven't already seen on other posts.

To be perfectly honest, I don't understand why it "works" for me and not others?

All I can say is that this sucker is one of the most stable workstations I have.

My only complaint is the 768meg RAM limitation.

That alone is why I now depend on my GIGABYTE GA-6VTXD server (2 GIG RAM) MOBO for video editing and use my BP6 as a backup ( one hell of a backup Huh?)

Regards,

jaybird
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

I'd love to see the pics too, but until they arrive i will just let my imagination play. I bet your rig is equal to that one that polarfoil released early in april.

David
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100