Choosing the right heatsink fan combo

Batch codes, RAM specs, BIOS settings, etc..
oli

Choosing the right heatsink fan combo

Post by oli »

Hi

I've just picked up a BP6 with 2x 366Mhz CPUs, and 4 more 366Mhz CPUs as spares. :twisted:

Now my problem is that they only came with two heatsinks, with no fans. Obviously I want to overclock this system a bit, and am therefore looking for a heatsink/fan combo which will fit nicely onto this board. I've done a few searches on the forum, and found out that a few Evercool HS/Fans and GlobalWin HS/Fans are pretty popular.

Problem is I live downunder and I have had trouble finding any places that sell the exact models that people here have claimed fit nicely.

Now there are two online places I've bought from before, both which stock a few coolers for S370 setups, so I was after some help from people here!

Please take a look at these two pages:
http://www.auspcmarket.com.au/show_imag ... ry_id]=179
and
http://www.eyo.com.au/items_CatID_20_SubCatID_4.html
and tell me which models you think will fit.

Ideally I'd like to hear from someone who has one of the exact models on either of the two above pages and knows that it fits without resting on capacitors etc, but any advice is welcome.

Oli
headseed

Post by headseed »

I don't know if they'll ship to you but http://www.inflowdirect.com/thercpucoolf.html has really good prices on some older heatsinks and fans that will work on the bp6.
Dual Barton Mobile 1.8ghz
Venice 3000+ @ 2.6ghz
lots of BP6s and two VP6s all apart currently
oli

Post by oli »

Buying from USA or other international shops isn't really an option. The postage cost alone cost more than the two heatsink/fan combos combined. Plus there is a high likely hood I'd end up being charged additional import fees on anything like that.

That's why I posted links to the two pages, so that anyone here could help me find one that is sold locally (if any other Aussies know another online store downunder then that's cool too).
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

oli,
Make sure to put some grease on the 440bx chipset. Abit doesnt put any on the greenie at the factory.

Those 366s are really good for, and most of us OC them to 100fsb giving 550MHz using a varity of stock fans. If you want do the work, try each pair and see what is the lowest voltage you can use and still remain stable. Many 366s will work well even below 1.9volts reducing the heat. Check into the "lapping" process to increase cooling on generic heat sinks. I suggest if you lap them stop when they feel smooth to the touch and don't bother with making them have a mirror-like surface unless you are going to OC to near stupid extreem speed. 550 is not extreem for 366s.

You could just drop into any PC shop and just check their used equipment for ANY that are made for socket 370/socket 7.

Copper transfers heat better then aluminum but very few copper heat sinks are available in the ''used parts" bin.
good luck.
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

http://www.auspcmarket.com.au/index.php ... ry_id]=179

these fit, just, and got my 533's down from 48degrees to 35 degrees
they're running warmer, but I haven't replaced the case exhaust fans yet.
big, copper, nice, yumm....
I'm very sure one side has the three position retaining clip, not the single position shown in the picture.
and pretty sure that both sides do.

why can't i do a good bx chipset fan (answer, lazy)
oli

Post by oli »

Thanks for the tips davd_bob, I actually work in a PC shop but haven't been able to find any.

Dave Rave - which ones are they? AusPCMarket has some kind of link prevention. Let me know the brand/model that you say fit.

Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

Evercool CUD-725CA - possibly the CA means wide socket attachment ??
I think my computer store got them from some little place that moved, can't remember the name.

auspc market shows it in the SocketA section