Instabilities and a power-on problem

Batch codes, RAM specs, BIOS settings, etc..
hugoc

Post by hugoc »

I'm 90% certain it's not a virus. Firstly, I've repeatedly re-installed and the problem recurs. Secondly, I run a very clean system - I always installed the latest security updates, ran a good virus scanner (AVG) with definitions updated daily, and anti-spyware programs (Seek and Destroy, Ad-Aware, CWShredder, Hijack-This) also with regularly updated definitions.

Even if it were a virus, if it could get past all that protection and still cause damage to my system, frankly, that just means that Windows is too insecure for serious use.
BP6, RU BIOS, 2*Celeron 366@550 1.9v
2*GlobalWin FEP32, 512MB PC100 CAS2
GeForce DDR, CMI8738 audio, Accton SMC2-1211TX NIC
Ubuntu Linux, Kernel 2.6.8.1-4-686-smp
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

hugoc wrote:Secondly, I run a very clean system - I always installed the latest security updates, ran a good virus scanner (AVG) with definitions updated daily, and anti-spyware programs (Seek and Destroy, Ad-Aware, CWShredder, Hijack-This) also with regularly updated definitions.
I have recently abandoned AVG after it allowed the dropper.bridge.a trojan through. It even warned me that I had the virus but didn't do anything about it. I have since read many bad things about AVG, and have switched to using Clamwin.

I agree though, it sounds unlikely that a virus is causing your problems.
Like BP6.com? Not a member?
Then why the hell not? It's great!
-> BP6.com Membership <-
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

I was just mentioning that there are virii out there that cause constant reboots in MS NT platform software. I didn't mean to imply you were infected.
I wish I had enough money to buy Microsoft Corp.
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
hugoc

Post by hugoc »

I used to use a program called AntiVir. However, I became concerned that days and even weeks would go by when there were no updates available. I switched to AVG quite recently because they updated their definitions more often. I suppose no system is foolproof.
I didn't mean to imply you were infected.
Oh, OK. I thought you were saying that a virus might be causing the problem.
Wouldn't it be better to diversify your portfolio?
Billl

Post by Billl »

hugoc wrote:I used to use a program called AntiVir. However, I became concerned that days and even weeks would go by when there were no updates available. I switched to AVG quite recently because they updated their definitions more often. I suppose no system is foolproof.
I've been using AntiVir for a couple years now with no problems. I don't have problems updating? One thing to note AVG works fine but if you crunch SETI with the machine you will see a performance hit. They use a lot of resources, part of the reason I switched.

Billl
hugoc

Post by hugoc »

It would connect to their server just fine, but most days report that there was nothing new to get. Antivir does use the network connection even when there was no other traffic, at least according to my firewall. AVG, on the other hand, did seem to have something new at least daily. I believe you about the resource hogging - most virus scanners seem to want at least 12MB of memory and 5% of CPU cycles (on a BP6, anyway) these days.

However, I don't have to devote any system resources to malware scanning now. :) All I need now is a hardware firewall, and I think a local store is having a special on D-Link 10/100 firewall/routers for $45 CDN right now.
Billl

Post by Billl »

hugoc wrote:It would connect to their server just fine, but most days report that there was nothing new to get. Antivir does use the network connection even when there was no other traffic, at least according to my firewall. AVG, on the other hand, did seem to have something new at least daily. I believe you about the resource hogging - most virus scanners seem to want at least 12MB of memory and 5% of CPU cycles (on a BP6, anyway) these days.
They have on occasion had bandwidth problems. But I've never really seen the point on daily updates. I'd say your about right on the resource usage at least for AVG.
hugoc wrote:However, I don't have to devote any system resources to malware scanning now. :) All I need now is a hardware firewall, and I think a local store is having a special on D-Link 10/100 firewall/routers for $45 CDN right now.
Oh you still need to run ad aware and spy bot. Virus scanners do nothing about that. I'd reconsider that Dlink router if I were you. I've not had much luck with their equipment.

Billl
hugoc

Post by hugoc »

Oh you still need to run ad aware and spy bot. Virus scanners do nothing about that.
No, I'm running Linux full-time now. It's a pleasant change not to have to worry about that sort of thing.
I'd reconsider that Dlink router if I were you. I've not had much luck with their equipment.
Really? What happened - they were unreliable and buggy, or they just didn't do the job? I have read that one needs to update the firmware on a regular basis to get the best out of them. The other router I'd considered is a Linksys, which was not as cheap - are they any better?
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

hugoc wrote:... :) All I need now is a hardware firewall ...
Try the Linux firewall, IPCop 1.4.2. It will support up to four different NIC's. The Internet, a local private netwprk, a DMZ for servers, and a wireless network. I'm using an old HP Vectra 350Mhz Pentium II. Works great! Has a WEB interface.
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
hugoc

Post by hugoc »

That program sounds ideal. As it happens, I have an HP Vectra PII-233. It used to be my 8-year-old son's, but since he got a Gamecube for his birthday he completely lost interest in it (go figure), so right now it's just a testbed machine. But I could throw in an extra NIC and install DamnSmall and IPCop. The only thing that would bug me is the extra power useage over a "dumb" router with built-in firewall.
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

hugoc wrote:The only thing that would bug me is the extra power useage over a "dumb" router with built-in firewall.
True. Use low power/older components and a 2.5" harddrive like I do. I use Smoothwall (Which I think IPcop builds upon) and I got 3 NICs in there doing duty. It works great! Just try to think of all the advantages that it provides over a smaller "dumb" router and you'll be fine :)
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
Debian Linux stable with 2.4.8 kernel
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

hugoc wrote:
Wouldn't it be better to diversify your portfolio?
I didn't say I wanted to buy MS...I just wish I had that much
money.
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
evergreencaw

Post by evergreencaw »

I have the same power on boot problem, and it persisted after I updated to the RU bios, and reformatted the hd and installed winxp. Additionally when it goes into power management and turns off the monitor, it never wakes it back up. I have disabled apm, but still have to turn comp off and on several times to get it to work. No issues once loaded however.
I was suspecting the video card as I have a savage2000, but maybe a bios setting or different bios version would help?
Thank you for sending me money via paypal. Sorry, your donation is not tax deductable.
http://www.geocities.com/evergreencaw/s ... 7783828024
MasterP

Post by MasterP »

Hi looks like i have really nearly the same problems.

I also have the power on problem every first time i power on the system it won`t post up but hdds are running and fans need to do a power off and then power on again to boot up with post screen.

And i also have a real strange problem since a long time but haven`t found a solution yet.
Most of the time when i start to transfer files over my network my system reboots.

i also use windows 2000 sp4 newest drivers.

i think the motherboard has an issue with realtek lan cards or my board is broken :(