Bp6 un-modded limit

Batch codes, RAM specs, BIOS settings, etc..
stouder

BP6 for sale

Post by stouder »

I'll post this in the classifieds, but I'm stepping up to a VP6 and want to get rid of my BP6. Before I put it on ebay I'll try bp6.com out, you all have been very helpful!

BP6 board (duh)
2 466's
386MB RAM
20GB System Drive

Check it out in the classifieds!
Stouder
Merlin55

Post by Merlin55 »

Dave Rave wrote:ata66/100 cards are easy to find
computer markets, online stores
just don't pay tooo much
yeah I found a promise card, with a little luck I'll have it (you know how auctions go). It is an ata 66, which should be enough for what I'll be doing. And btw does the ata 33 on the mobo work or is it not worth my time? Anyone know what fan to put on the BX chip? Or where to look for one? I'm thinking this is a pretty cool old board and I'll spend some time playing with it. I hate to toss out perfectly good computer parts. My wife hates it. Well she did until I built her latest comp all from parts she told me were in her way, lmao. Now she's a happy camper. I've turned her into a multitasking monster :)
BP6 2x500 Mendicino cores
Radeon 7500
640 Megs PC133
Benq Dual Layer DVD Burner
CD burner
Mirconet gigabit Nic
10 gig main hd
80 gig mp3 and program stores
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

Merlin55 wrote:And btw does the ata 33 on the mobo work or is it not worth my time?
It works very well and is reliable.
Merlin55 wrote:Anyone know what fan to put on the BX chip? Or where to look for one?
Have a look at Derek's article here.
Like BP6.com? Not a member?
Then why the hell not? It's great!
-> BP6.com Membership <-
BCN

Post by BCN »

well, once I have drilled holes in some old drity duron heatsinkfan :) iyt is still there on the BX :)
Dual C366@550MHz 1.90V :) (History)
yet single PIII-S 512Kb L2 cache at 1400MHz@700MHz
BP6 (not modded yet)
256MB PC133 C2
GF4Ti4200-8x
Maxtor 2x60Gb - all on promise ATA133
Lite-On LTR 40125S@48125W!!!
Plus P4 system
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

Merlin55 wrote:...My wife hates it. Well she did until I built her latest comp all from parts she told me were in her way, lmao. Now she's a happy camper. I've turned her into a multitasking monster :)
Actually, my wife used to get kinda iritated at the time i was tinkering and she started hanging out with me. One day I dropped a pile of stuff on the floor of the living room and "requested" her to try put it together for me. She has built more then one system since then. She know enough that if something is a perfect fit, it is ok to put it there. Of course I make sure she doesn't have incompatable parts. She especially loves intalling software.(MS only for now)
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
Merlin55

Bp6

Post by Merlin55 »

Well as luck would have it some sniping scum got my BP6 mobo (the one with 300 & 400mhz cpu's) just minutes before the end of the auction, and as luck would have it I won a BP6 with 2 500mhz cpu's on it instead :)
plus a promise ata 66 ide card (3 bucks), two brand new cpu heat sinks & fans (.99 cents) ( for the bx chip or whatever) 256 megs of memory (40 bucks) and some assorted other parts. all in canadian dollars.
Now its just the wait for it to arrive. Looks like I'm going to have a far better BP6 then I was when I first posted. If there's anything that any of you can tell me that would help when I start putting her together, I'd really appreciate it. I love to tinker with this stuff, (but I hate to solder) I'm currently running a network on an SMC router via a dedicated dialup connection (this is the arctic) I've currently got an AMD k6/2 500, an IBM 300gl 200mhz P1 mmx, a Digital Venturis FX2 with a amd k6/2 400 chip at 300mhz, can't seem to get it to the 366 max the board is supposed to do. (all networked) & my sadly burned out Celeron 1.7ghz Asus P4S533, needs a cpu ( never let the store you buy your parts from install your cpu, they broke one corner on the retention clip and didn't tell me, took about 1 year & a half to fry).....but replacement comes later, since I bought the BP6.
Anyway, brilliant suggestions are welcome :D. A couple of things, if this works as well as I think, I may put my CD burner in the box. Will that run off the promise card, and are the ata 33 connectors on the BP6 safe to use for anything other than the hardrive(s)?

Mike
BP6 2x500 Mendicino cores
Radeon 7500
640 Megs PC133
Benq Dual Layer DVD Burner
CD burner
Mirconet gigabit Nic
10 gig main hd
80 gig mp3 and program stores
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

make sure the cpus are in straight (d'oh)
coolers are on properly.
memory, vga, nothing else.
see if it posts. fingers crossed.
check out capacitors for bulging, leaking, leaning tower of pisa falling over ....
if it posts, don't worry toooo much.

think happy thoughts and think it through if there's a problem.
if you get angry, make sure the oldest crappiest keyboard is plugged in, when you break it over a cpu case (I still haven't found all the keys that came off) it won't matter so much. ;-)
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

if you're playing with win2k or winxp,......
install to a hdd on your primary ata33 controller.
make sure all hdds and cd-roms are in and final.....
if you add stuff later, on an add-in card, boot device namings can change and stuff you up.
jaybird

overclocking 433's

Post by jaybird »

Just a little "teaser", if you will.

433's have a clock multiplier of 6.5, the "best" that the BP6 will do, stable, is 110 mhz fsb. So, this gives us a "possible" 6.5 X 110 = 721.666.

OBTW, this has been done with "active" cooling, large heat sinks, Peltiers, water bolcks, etc.

I am in the process of doing just that. Lapping, large heat sinks (GlobalWIN FEP32's,72 watt Peltiers-air-cooled and a "mini-Peltier" on the BX chip set) along with the one CAP mod and replacing the voltage regulator (I have BP6, ver. #1 board that was previuosly modified for dual PIII's).

BTW, still stable, dual 1100E's, @ 110 FSB, going on 3 years!

You may ask "why?"

Because I love my BP6 as old as it is and it is another chance to "learn"
and that's what it's all about, right? Besides, I just hate it when someone says "you can't do that!" :wink: .

regards,

jaybird
KliK

Post by KliK »

jaybird wrote:Just a little "teaser", if you will.

433's have a clock multiplier of 6.5, the "best" that the BP6 will do, stable, is 110 mhz fsb. So, this gives us a "possible" 6.5 X 110 = 721.666.

OBTW, this has been done with "active" cooling, large heat sinks, Peltiers, water bolcks, etc.

I am in the process of doing just that. Lapping, large heat sinks (GlobalWIN FEP32's,72 watt Peltiers-air-cooled and a "mini-Peltier" on the BX chip set) along with the one CAP mod and replacing the voltage regulator (I have BP6, ver. #1 board that was previuosly modified for dual PIII's).

BTW, still stable, dual 1100E's, @ 110 FSB, going on 3 years!

You may ask "why?"

Because I love my BP6 as old as it is and it is another chance to "learn"
and that's what it's all about, right? Besides, I just hate it when someone says "you can't do that!" :wink: .

regards,

jaybird
what do u think is faster & better?
366@550/100 or
533@600/75
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

KliK wrote:what do u think is faster & better?
366@550/100 or
533@600/75
faster bus => faster overall system (IMHO)
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
phaedrus

Post by phaedrus »

hyperspace wrote:
KliK wrote:what do u think is faster & better?
366@550/100 or
533@600/75
faster bus => faster overall system (IMHO)
That's what purrkur found when he actually benchmarked them. For stuff that just ran from CPU cache, higher CPU speed was better, but real world stuff is much more heavily dependent on the system bus, so from a real performance stand point, you're better off with the higher bus speeds.

Jeff
"If it ain't broke, mod it till it is"
They said... and now my BP6 needs new processors... D'oh
Slackware Linux v10.1