Dead & don't know what to do

Batch codes, RAM specs, BIOS settings, etc..
tomatoeboy

Dead & don't know what to do

Post by tomatoeboy »

No, I haven't gone potty over the loss of my venerable BP6 (I have had it over 5 years), but it does seem to have died a funny death.

It's been a while before it went but I thought i'd post a quick Q before the gf forces me to get rid of it. One day I went to boot it up & got no video, swapped the card, got nothing, tried the old card in a different board that didn't work. Tried the swapped card in the other board, now that didn't work!

The machine itself seemed to boot fine otherwise, I suppose I could've tried using a remote terminal to see if it really did but I doubt I would actually know what I was doing.

Anyone have any ideas what might cause the video (AGP slot) to die & take the video card down with it? I never got round to trying a PCI card, maybe that's my next move.

If I can find a PCI VGA card I'll give it a go otherwise there's an old BP6 (V1.1) with 2 lapped 433's in it that's free to a good home.
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

are u using the same psu in the testing of the two boards ?

do u know the other board is functioning okay ?

not heard of, but are there capacitor issues on both vga cards ?

next, capacitor probs on both mobos ?
tomatoeboy

Post by tomatoeboy »

Same PSU on both boards, not noticed any problems with the caps on either the boards nor the vga cards, but will check...
24seven
IRC Lurker

Post by 24seven »

Ive had a board do similar things before.

It was working fine and I was surfing the net, then it BSODed. I rebooted it and got nothing on the video, I left it to see if the hard drive did anything, it did nothing, dead...
But you say yours boots, so I guess thats no helps

More recently, I've booted my machine up without a moniter attached, was using it on another machine at the time. I then plugged the moniter in and there was no video. Thought a reboot would fix it, but it didnt. The machine was booting up and was getting into windows. In the end I had to use remote desktop to uninstall the drivers, then reboot the machine. It then booted back up properly. Reinstalled the drivers and it was fine. (until I did it again) :oops:
Oh and that was an Nvidia card. But you say youve tried the card in another machine... so I guess thats no help either.

I guess your best bet is try a AGP card that you know works. Then try a PCI card or even an ISA card.
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

Get an ISA card and try it. Wait...Does your Monitor work?
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
24seven
IRC Lurker

Post by 24seven »

davd_bob wrote:Get an ISA card and try it. Wait...Does your Monitor work?
LOL good point...