problem with 366!?

Batch codes, RAM specs, BIOS settings, etc..
KliK

problem with 366!?

Post by KliK »

i managed to get some 366 cels, but they are with different IDs...one has the ID SL35?, and the other is SL36?!

now the problem is that i can get them to work till about 99 to 100MHz in BIOS, but the WinXP would not start...it just goes blank on me...on 92/93 FSB speed it reports some error about WinXP kernel...
so my question is: DOES IT HAS TO BE THE SAME TYPE OF PROCESOR WITH IDENTICAL ID?

now i'm running it on 75 FSB (366@413), and it's ok, and i'm not thinking about going higher 'cause i don't want to fry my cards in PCI slots...no problems, but that is slow for me...also procs r on 40deg Celsius, and the MBO chipset is on 43-45deg Celsius...is that ok? maybe the hangs are from MBO chipset?!

PLEASE HELP!!!
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

Kilk,
The 366s dont have to be matched to work togeather...in fact you can mix diff speed cpus like 366 and 400 or 533 or whatever. I plan to test my board with a 366 and a 500 someday...proly in my next life cause this one is WAAAAY to busy. :( Anyway...

Windows doesn't like 92FSB but works on 75...thats odd. Maybe something to do with the HD as the PCI/IDE timing is OC'ed 10% at 75 but UNDERclocked about 8% at 92FSB. Yeah, that "kernel" error message is likely due to CPU issues.

As far a 'frying' the cards...
They are at "rated" speed if the FSB is 66, or 100 or 133. Its something to do with that divider thing in softmenu that you CANT change sepratly from the FSB.

The temps are OK. Do you have active cooling on the BX440?(you should have at least a fan on the "Greenie" if you are OC'ing)
How do the capacitors look?bulging tops blackish goo and leaning, or clean and standing straight?

If the caps are ok and the BX is cooled you should be able to bump the CPU voltage to stabalize for overclocking. Try 2.1v at 96FSB. Remember that the higher the voltage, the higher the CPUtemps.
Several BP6ers are running dual 366@550 below 2.0volts.

On your next post let us know how the caps look and what HD/ide devices you have, and are you booting on IDE1 or one of the HPT366 ports.

BTW, when you hit submit...hit the back button and just trust that it did submit. That will help prevent multiple postings.

Derek,
Lots of multiple posts from lots of different users :oops: in the last few days. Can a reboot or something help.
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
KliK

Post by KliK »

davd_bob wrote:Kilk,
The 366s dont have to be matched to work togeather...in fact you can mix diff speed cpus like 366 and 400 or 533 or whatever. I plan to test my board with a 366 and a 500 someday...proly in my next life cause this one is WAAAAY to busy. :( Anyway...

Windows doesn't like 92FSB but works on 75...thats odd. Maybe something to do with the HD as the PCI/IDE timing is OC'ed 10% at 75 but UNDERclocked about 8% at 92FSB. Yeah, that "kernel" error message is likely due to CPU issues.

As far a 'frying' the cards...
They are at "rated" speed if the FSB is 66, or 100 or 133. Its something to do with that divider thing in softmenu that you CANT change sepratly from the FSB.

The temps are OK. Do you have active cooling on the BX440?(you should have at least a fan on the "Greenie" if you are OC'ing)
How do the capacitors look?bulging tops blackish goo and leaning, or clean and standing straight?

If the caps are ok and the BX is cooled you should be able to bump the CPU voltage to stabalize for overclocking. Try 2.1v at 96FSB. Remember that the higher the voltage, the higher the CPUtemps.
Several BP6ers are running dual 366@550 below 2.0volts.

On your next post let us know how the caps look and what HD/ide devices you have, and are you booting on IDE1 or one of the HPT366 ports.

BTW, when you hit submit...hit the back button and just trust that it did submit. That will help prevent multiple postings.

Derek,
Lots of multiple posts from lots of different users :oops: in the last few days. Can a reboot or something help.
I know that they don't have to match, but in my case whenever i temper with the voltage, my computer isn't stable...so that would be the CPUs...

in my computer i have:
AGP - Hercules Kyro2 4500 + TVout

PCIs - network D-Link card DFE-538TX
- USB 2.0 controler (the one that would work and not kill each other with the HPT366 device)
- 2x Voodoo2 3DFX, Diamond Monster2 version (excelent for PSXemulator)

ISA - good old SB AWE32

also on USB i have: web camera, ADSL modem & joypad identical as PSX!

for HDD i have 3:
IBM DPTA-371360
WDC WD400BB
WDC WD800JB (but i think is the other version, cause on HPT366 it signs in as SCSI drive)
also there are one DVD-ROM & CDRW device...

boot drive is on WD800, so that means on the HPT366 adapter! it works fine even in BIOS recognition, but on & over 92MHz wont work?!

my caps are all OK...i only recap the EC10 capacitor, for a bigger one! i think it's 1500 microF... ;)

right now, the greening is not cooled, and working fine on 75MHz...the fan was too noisy, so i had to remove it!
but will be there & operational in a less than a week...so, what is the limit in temperature or MHz for "Greenie"? mine is about 48celsius now, and working great...the cooler just lowered it to 45!

my cels r with fans...both have a temperature sensor fans, and with them they post about 40 to 45celsius! i just hope that is ok?! ;)

and about the only 75MHz...i read somewhere on the internet, that PCI is recomended to be overclocked only to 15% over the limit...so in calculations 75 / 2 = 37,5 / 33 = around 1,15, which is 15% over the limit!
also, my computer is on 24/7...and i don't want to start a meltdown in the middle of my room... :) playing safe is OK, and that is what we want!
SAFE-OVERCLOCKED SYSTEMS! ;)

the thing is that i would like if someone could write the BIOS in which the the division for PCI 1/3 is present from 80MHz above instead of 1/2 PCI divider like now! but would the PCI work then, i don't actually know, but i do know that 40MHz or more on PCI is too much, at least if you have cards in slots!
btw, i'm using the RV version of BIOS!

so that is it for now! hope to hear from you soon!
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

KliK wrote:AGP - Hercules Kyro2 4500 + TVout

- USB 2.0 controler (the one that would work and not kill each other with the HPT366 device)

ISA - good old SB AWE32

for HDD i have 3:
IBM DPTA-371360
WDC WD400BB
WDC WD800JB (but i think is the other version, cause on HPT366 it signs in as SCSI drive)

boot drive is on WD800, so that means on the HPT366 adapter! it works fine even in BIOS recognition, but on & over 92MHz wont work?!
Try this. For a test only, move the 80Gig boot drive to IDE1 Master..put the FSB to 96 and try boot.

BTW, What is the wattage on your PSU?
KliK wrote:right now, the greening is not cooled, and working fine on 75MHz...the fan was too noisy, so i had to remove it!
but will be there & operational in a less than a week...so, what is the limit in temperature or MHz for "Greenie"? mine is about 48celsius now, and working great...the cooler just lowered it to 45!

cels...post about 40 to 45celsius! i just hope that is ok?! ;)

in the 40s is not to bad but I like keeping mine below that. 55 would be kinda alarming.

Safe-Overclocking, is an industry "Oxy-Moron" cause none of the manufacturers will warrantee anything that has been overclocked.

I will be offline for the next 15 hours, and with Katrina hitting one of the sites I manage I may not be back for several days.

Good luck

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
P-III 850@100
KliK

Post by KliK »

davd_bob wrote:
KliK wrote:AGP - Hercules Kyro2 4500 + TVout

ISA - good old SB AWE32

for HDD i have 3:
IBM DPTA-371360
WDC WD400BB

Try this. For a test only, move the 80Gig boot drive to IDE1 Master..put the FSB to 96 and try boot.

BTW, What is the wattage on your PSU?
KliK wrote:right now, the greening is not cooled, and working fine on 75MHz...the fan was too noisy, so i had to remove it!

cels...post about 40 to 45celsius! i just hope that is ok?! ;)

in the 40s is not to bad but I like keeping mine below that. 55 would be kinda alarming.

Safe-Overclocking, is an industry "Oxy-Moron" cause none of the manufacturers will warrantee anything that has been overclocked.

I will be offline for the next 15 hours, and with Katrina hitting one of the sites I manage I may not be back for several days.

Good luck
i'll try that...i sure hope it would work! but it will not be today, 'cause i have so much to do!

and the wattage is 400W...it is enough...i think the PSU has like 40A on 5V & 22A on 3,3V...sure enough to scortch both of the procesors... ;)

and about the temps...my system is quiet enough with these fans...and if procs become hotter, then they would compensate with the speed! :) although i don't think any cels working temperature (in Intel specs) are below 30...all are around 37 & higher temps! ;)
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

KliK wrote: in my computer i have:

ISA - good old SB AWE32

for HDD i have 3:
IBM DPTA-371360
WDC WD400BB
The first thing I would do if I was having strange OC problems like you are is to remove some of the cards that you have installed. I would begin by removing the ISA card, the Voodoo's and the USB card and then retrying OC. I have seen it on a few occasions that older boards will give you a hard time when they have to suffer through overclocking. The ISA and Voodoo's are both old and gray so that might be your issue. I would also make sure that you are not timing anything like memory too agressively in BIOS either.
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
Debian Linux stable with 2.4.8 kernel
KliK

Post by KliK »

purrkur wrote:
KliK wrote: in my computer i have:

ISA - good old SB AWE32

for HDD i have 3:
IBM DPTA-371360
WDC WD400BB
The first thing I would do if I was having strange OC problems like you are is to remove some of the cards that you have installed. I would begin by removing the ISA card, the Voodoo's and the USB card and then retrying OC. I have seen it on a few occasions that older boards will give you a hard time when they have to suffer through overclocking. The ISA and Voodoo's are both old and gray so that might be your issue. I would also make sure that you are not timing anything like memory too agressively in BIOS either.

the thing is that it work fine on 72MHz/2 board speed...so they shoud do fine also with 92MHz/3 board speed...that is under the 33MHz defined for PCI, or 16,5MHz for ISA...so I would rule those things out...
but I will check the wattage, 'cause I'm putting a dual ATX power suply... :D

but the problem is that on 75MHz/2 board speed, the system freezes...my task manager is allways on, and the CPU graph stops...but windows task manager works!?! how is that posible?!
you canb move the mouse, but cannot open the START button?! and nothing else responds for clicking...have you seen such behavior earlier on your BP6?!
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

What about the ram.

It needs to be at least PC-100 and if it is cheap it should be set to CL=3 and no matter how good it is it should be EEC=off.

You can try that memtest86+ program that someone posted recently.

I would
1) test the ram
2) if ram is ok then pull everything but the AGP card and HD then put the sucker at 96fsb and test it.
good luck.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
P-III 850@100
KliK

Post by KliK »

davd_bob wrote:What about the ram.

It needs to be at least PC-100 and if it is cheap it should be set to CL=3 and no matter how good it is it should be EEC=off.

You can try that memtest86+ program that someone posted recently.

I would
1) test the ram
2) if ram is ok then pull everything but the AGP card and HD then put the sucker at 96fsb and test it.
good luck.
well RAM is ok! and the link for tester is mine... :D

ok, i+ll try that...but i need those other cards also!!!
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

KliK wrote:
:oops: :oops: opps :oops: :oops:
KliK wrote:ok, i+ll try that...but i need those other cards also!!!
Of course you need the other cards...but to test the system for its best preformance you will need to pull them...just for the test.

If the system boots correctly at 96FSB with only the ram and AGP and HD on IDE1 then you can start eliminating the possable causes.

Something is sticking in the back of my mind tht the ISA SB AWE32 is your culprit.

Oh, Its kinda late to mention but some of the PCI slots share resources.
I think AGP and PCI-1 use the same IRQ
PCI3 and the HTP366 share something-maybe IRQ
and if you use PCI-4 and PCI-5 the cards have to use bus mastering.
Now that you think of it that info is proly in the FAQ. but Im at work now and don't have time for looking for it.

BTW, I have a WD800 and it works great on IDE1. Even though it would give better preformance on the HotPoint connector...Im satisfied with how fast it is at ATA33. With that 8-meg cache the data interaction on HD really flys.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
P-III 850@100
KliK

Post by KliK »

davd_bob wrote:
KliK wrote:
:oops: :oops: opps :oops: :oops:
KliK wrote:ok, i+ll try that...but i need those other cards also!!!
Of course you need the other cards...but to test the system for its best preformance you will need to pull them...just for the test.

If the system boots correctly at 96FSB with only the ram and AGP and HD on IDE1 then you can start eliminating the possable causes.

Something is sticking in the back of my mind tht the ISA SB AWE32 is your culprit.

Oh, Its kinda late to mention but some of the PCI slots share resources.
I think AGP and PCI-1 use the same IRQ
PCI3 and the HTP366 share something-maybe IRQ
and if you use PCI-4 and PCI-5 the cards have to use bus mastering.
Now that you think of it that info is proly in the FAQ. but Im at work now and don't have time for looking for it.

BTW, I have a WD800 and it works great on IDE1. Even though it would give better preformance on the HotPoint connector...Im satisfied with how fast it is at ATA33. With that 8-meg cache the data interaction on HD really flys.

as it turns out, it's not the temperature problem...just now i have two procs (listed below) which are around 50Celsiuses, and the MBO temp is slightly below...so I have ruled that out...

next, I suspect the PSU isn't enough for the MBO, everything on it & the other devices attached...so the plan is to put together a DUAL ATX!!! one 400W for the MBO and the things on it (curently that is my PSU), and the other for the devices such as HDD, CD-RW, DVD,...

I'm sending you some file from the SiSoft Sandra...my system is examened there and all or you can see it and the parts of the system!!! it's a nice program (for the ones that didn't try it!), and it features nice recomendations for the tune up, but more importingly it gives all the informations about the MBO, CPUs, etc.
my sugestion is that all of us use that program, as a example of the the tuning up of the machine...but in ZIP format,'cause the real file is more than 1MB!!!

that is all from me...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.