Have you BSODed with - IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL to??

OS / Drivers / BIOS
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Have you BSODed with - IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL to??

Post by RRLedford »

I have (3) BP6 systems all running Win-XP. Have you WIn2000 guys been seeing this type of BSOD a lot? I've been getting it alot on all my systems. Then during my recent CPU upgrade of one BP6 to 1100MHz CELE2/NEO-370, I decided to retire my USB 2.0 IOGEAR brand card in that system (my main BP6 peer server).

The 1100MHz CPU is running great at 108MHz FSB, and without the USB 2.0 card, no more BSODs !!

Tonight I tried to replace the IOGEAR USB 2.0 card on the 2nd BP6 using a new Adaptec 3-port card (thinking it would have a better 'signed' driver - NOT!).

Well, not only was the driver UNSIGNED, the README file said that it was not Win2000 SMP compatible. However, since I'm a WinXP guy (paying a dear price for the choice), I went ahead and installed the Adaptec driver anyway. So far, runs OK. These BSODs just seem too related to early USB 2.0 driver problems. Any thoughts??
Last edited by RRLedford on Sat Sep 28, 2002 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wolfram

Post by Wolfram »

AFAIK this type of BSODs indicate a driver issue, like you mentioned before. So it seemed to be your USB 2.0 card, not WinXP. I have had these BSOD under Win2000 with certain graphics card drivers for my current Matrox G400 and for my former GF2MX. Beta drivers.

I have no experience with XP. But I could imagine that many problems people have with XP exist not only because it´s a relatively new OS, but because these people use the latest hardware and drivers (like you ;)), while those who stick to Win2000 rather never change their running system. So the BSODs might be the price for experimenting (aka beta testing).

Regards,

Wolfram
BP6, RU BIOS, XP SP3, ACPI, 2x366@523(1,95V), Pentalpha HS + 1x 12cm fan @5V, 768MB, Powercolor Geforce 3, RTL8139D NIC, Terratec EWS64L, Samsung M40 80GB (2,5''), LiteOn CDRW