Win 2000 shutdown

OS / Drivers / BIOS
Bruce

Win 2000 shutdown

Post by Bruce »

I know I'm missing somthing,, when I shut down 2000 the screen blinks off, then on and says it is ok to power down. Won't 2000 power it self down? Where's the switch?

Every thing else is fine two 500's smp.
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

Your computer should be labeled as an ACPI Multiprocessor PC and ACPI needs to be enabled in the BIOS for the computer to shutdown by itself.
-Derek
Lycaon

Post by Lycaon »

I have always had to switch off my BP6 manually. The guy who helped me put it together was registered with Microsoft and he rang them to be told Win 2k running SMP will not support automatic shutdown. If this is wrong someone please tell me as I would love to know how to fix it.

Lycaon

the painted one
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

Jeez, how many BP6ers are running 2K/XP Pro with mutliple processors that have automatic shutdown?! Thanx, MicroStuff!

Yes, you can setup Win2K/XP Pro on a BP6 with dual processors for automatic shutdown. Both of my systems work that way. Before you install the OS, make sure ACPI and APM are enabled in the BIOS.
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
the_flames

Post by the_flames »

on some system that Ive had you can hit the power button and that can put the system into standby or shut if off

on my bp6 it doesnt do anything ???

any ideas, btw when I give the shutdown command my system powers ff, all the acpi stuff is enabled in the bios
iSDn

Post by iSDn »

Hi!

In The Power Options menu you can select what happens when you press the Power button.

Bye.
alang

BP6 shut down

Post by alang »

All this is very interesting. My BP6 behavies as described in the root topic: W2k and XP both do their shutdown things blink, then present the 'Safe to...' message. Then I hold the power button for 5 or 6 slow counts and it powers off. I do not have the BIOS ACPI function enabled. Seems like I have tried that some where in the past.

Irregardless, BeOS, with no changes to the BIOS, does shut down to a power off state!

Looks like more experimenting is in order.

:lol:
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

Win2k and WinXP will shutdown without interaction if ACPI and APM are enabled in the BIOS.
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

hyperspace wrote:Win2k and WinXP will shutdown without interaction if ACPI and APM are enabled in the BIOS.
I did it, again....
changed one of my bp6 boards to acpi and tried everything to get it working ok.
limited success :?

with the win2k, changing the computer from MPS to ACPI won't do it.
you have to enable the ACPI function in BIOS and re-install your windows, there's three or so thingys in Device Manager - System that also need updating.

having got it all together and looking at a desktop, installed iarsn taskinfo to see what's going on and the first item, the interrupt thiing, is off berserk in la-la land. it's runing 30+% of cpu, with the two seti-s getting the rest. I gave up and went to bed, when I get up the interrupt is quiet, finally, but can't tell why it was running.
after reboot, it was back, tried sp4, and uhm, ie 6 and oh crap, i gave it away as a not needed expenditure of time.

sure it's nice to have them shutoff when I power down, but they're all seti crunchers, and who turns off a seti cruncher :shock: :twisted:
bp6's 3 x dual @ 533
. . . . 1 x dual @ 466
. . . . 1 sngl @ 400
[( 2 x dual xeon 2.4ghz )]
[( 2 x dual xeon 2.66ghz )]
[( 1 x 2.4C ghz )]
[( 1 x 2.4B ghz )]
[( 1 x dual AMD 1800MP )]
[( 1 x P4 1600 )]
[( 1 x 500 ppga )]
3 x piii 866
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

hehehe

the main question is who turns off thier pc at all?

i know mine run 24/7 no matter what their use is
!!! WARNING !!!
The following forums: www.bp6.com
are infected with the following VIRUS(s): Kuun.infected.all.posts.Win2K.user

The following IRC servers has been exploited: irc.bp6.com
with the Following Exploit: Kuun.lurks.using.mIRC.v5.82.exploit
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

Yes! It's 7/23 for all mine too. There is a direct relationship between the number of boots a Windows PC does & how soon/often something bogus takes place - like detecting some new H/W in the system when nothing has been changed. Don't ya just love those phantom yellow spotted devices!
Another killer is my SMC USB wireless 11Mbps NIC, every time it freezes up & I do the USB unplug/reconnect - a whole new LAN device gets added to the system. A while back I had to remove (23) instances of the same USB device from my Registry
Zero point energy
johnli

Post by johnli »

Yeah, and thus why USB is evil for networking etc. :)
Regards,
John
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

How about evil programmers who can't match up one unique MAC address with a single instance of a device install.
Zero point energy