Bios Setting Help

OS / Drivers / BIOS
MaxiHP

Bios Setting Help

Post by MaxiHP »

Hi All,
Please help a lost sole. I have brought out my BP6 after storing it for a year and I am totaly lost on BIOS settings. I have searched and tried all the settings one at a time for about a week. The system 1 celeron 533, 1 western digital 20G ata 33 HD, 1 Opto Write CW5205 CD drive (both on IDE 1), 1 Kingston pc100 128M ram (installed Slot 1), S3 Trio32 PCI video card, No FDD, booting from CD, RU Bios w/o HPT controller (from this web site). I am trying to load win2k system but also have tried 98. I don't get past the system scan in Win2k. It fails at different places depending on the bios settings. Please let me know if I need to provide more info. Looking forward to some new light. :oops:
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

number one.. do not overclock

the only way i can get win2K to install properly is by installing win98 and then installing 2K over the win98 installation
!!! WARNING !!!
The following forums: www.bp6.com
are infected with the following VIRUS(s): Kuun.infected.all.posts.Win2K.user

The following IRC servers has been exploited: irc.bp6.com
with the Following Exploit: Kuun.lurks.using.mIRC.v5.82.exploit
Wolfram

Re: Bios Setting Help

Post by Wolfram »

MaxiHP wrote:It fails at different places depending on the bios settings.
How does it fail? Error message?
BP6, RU BIOS, XP SP3, ACPI, 2x366@523(1,95V), Pentalpha HS + 1x 12cm fan @5V, 768MB, Powercolor Geforce 3, RTL8139D NIC, Terratec EWS64L, Samsung M40 80GB (2,5''), LiteOn CDRW
MaxiHP

Post by MaxiHP »

I should not have said fail it really hangs. It will hang at different places depending on what bios settings are used. The farthest I get is hang on PCMCI. There are no messages. Since I do not have an ISA card I have the 8 / 16 bit I/O recovery time set to N/A, passive release is disabled. I tried MPS 1.1 & 1.4. I've moved processor to both sockets. I disable all the setting I can and enable them one at a time but still can’t get out of hanging the install. What are some of the critical settings for a fresh install? NO I am not over clocking, you need a stable system first. This was a running system (Dual 533 Celeron) a year ago so all the components are known good. Any suggestions?
Wolfram

Post by Wolfram »

Does the Win98 setup also freeze? Have you tried clearing the CMOS and loading default values?

And, of course,... check the capacitors. What was known good a year ago might be faulty now, especially on a BP6.
BP6, RU BIOS, XP SP3, ACPI, 2x366@523(1,95V), Pentalpha HS + 1x 12cm fan @5V, 768MB, Powercolor Geforce 3, RTL8139D NIC, Terratec EWS64L, Samsung M40 80GB (2,5''), LiteOn CDRW
janr

Post by janr »

Use the Bios RU final version with HTP-controller (v1.22).
Biossettings on default. (EXT= HTP controller, not SCSI)
Install the driver during installation of W2K (why not ?). :!:
May be Win2k (and W98 SE) hangs on unsupported hardware during installation ?
You can always switch off hardware in W2K.
MaxiHP

Post by MaxiHP »

Thanks but that still does not get me past the hangs. Isn't there some setting combo that works better then others? I'm totally stumped. :?
Wolfram

Post by Wolfram »

MaxiHP wrote:I should not have said fail it really hangs. It will hang at different places depending on what bios settings are used. The farthest I get is hang on PCMCI.
So it hangs already when setup is copying drivers to your harddisk? If so, try another IDE cable (40 wires, right? for the standard IDE). If it still hangs, try again with the harddisk on one IDE and the CDROM on the other. Maybe the CDROM is not cooperative;)