Best/Worst?

OS / Drivers / BIOS
hyperspace
Board Admin

Re: Best/Worst?

Post by hyperspace »

k_man wrote:Just wanted to know if there is a certain distro that is best suited for the bp6. And it would also help to know which ones to stay away from.

latez
kman :?
Welcome to BP6.Com!

Many of us, are using ManDrake Linux 8.x and 9.x distributions. There many that are using Redhat, as well.
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
merker19

Post by merker19 »

I'm a Linux Newb and I have RH9 installed onto my bp6. The GUI interface is beautiful and it works pretty well. So far, it's made my ventures into Linuxland much more enjoyable. :)
_merker19
PDR60

Post by PDR60 »

This is a subject I deal with on an almost daily basis. I run Mandrake on my dual boot laptop with XP. I also teach Cisco, A+, and Net+ classes as an adjunct at the local tech school. Since its my class, I run linux for my powerpoints and everything. Sooner or later someone will ask "What kind of windows is that?"

It happens every time. Its funny. Well I tell them its linux and most ask. "What's Linux"? The really funny thing is somewhere towards the end of the course we end up loading it on all the lab machines. The students love it. I tell them the class web site has alway been on linux. They all react the same. Many of my graduates are only running linux now. I tell them stay up on windows because the "uninformed" (that we have to repair) are still on Windows.

To get to the point:: I use Mandrake. It has its faults but at the end of the day its probably the most user friendly disto out there. Their hardware detection is second to none. It installs and it works. I tell my students when you get comfortable with Mandrake, get another box and load Slackware. Make it as functional as your Mandrake box and you'll be good at linux. Slackware is a great disro for servers(its what I use now) but as a desktop it can be a challenge to get the funtionality from.

If you're a newbee you can't go wrong with Mandrake.

P.S. If you recompile the MDK kernel you can get quite a speed jump. (for the more advanced user)