wbxtune - why bother?

OS / Drivers / BIOS
redpath

wbxtune - why bother?

Post by redpath »

As we all know; the i440BX remains a remarkably efficient chipset - the attached image shows a BP6 at 100MHz FSB compared with various SMP PIII setups/chipsets, most at 133FSB.

SSSandra 'scores' are of course only meaningful as comparisons using the same version: the version used here is: 2004.10.9.89

Optimisations using WPCRSET are [registers:values:meaning]:

52 = 04 = Host Bus Fast Data Ready [enabled]
76 = 0F = 2-2-2 & Leadoff Command Timing = 3
77 = 00 = [probably - reserved/illegal value] do not add delay to DRAM Leadoff Timing
78 = 27 = DRAM Idle Timer = 128 [value 'infinite' didn't work for me]

- they are worth in sum around 8% over maximally BIOS-optimised values & this BP6 remains 24/7 stable using 3 sticks of very ordinary PC133 3-3-3 stuff.

- wbxtune v2.30 would not have set these optimisations, so what's the point?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
redpath

Post by redpath »

WPCRSET-optimised as above, a reliable & fairly memory-sensitive benchmark [ScienceMarkMP v1.0] sees around 1.5% improvement overall for this BP6 at 550.

- as a reality-check, this optimised 'score' is just about exactly 2/3 the performance of a uniprocessor Athlon 1200/DDR 2100 platform:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
redpath

Post by redpath »

. . . as an even more sobering reality-check, here's the performance of a dual Barton at 2.25 Ghz . . . .
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

redpath, everytime I read your posts, I want my BP6 to be my main system again. Is that your BP6 running at 100MHz? Have you tried a little higher? You’re right, those scores are amazing considering the age of this mobo.
-Derek
redpath

Post by redpath »

Derek - Hi - bought a couple of knackered old BP6' off Ebay for fun, having wanted one for many years - but having [sigh :)] to struggle on w/ dual PII's/PIII's/Athlons/Bartons & etc & etc . . . . this thing isn't strictly the 'main' system; but in fact is having to fill in while I await an Iwill DK8X sometime in the new year [am reviewing the thing for burningissues].

The matched-batch late-week retail 366' in this one at the moment do 100MHz comfortably at default vcore [ran them at this for ages in a MSI 694D Pro-A] - from experience, they're likely to want mebbe another 0.1vcore to get up to [say] 105 . . . so what's the point? I've a couple of 333's coming, so will try for a more realistic chance at 110FSB then.

It's fun having a crack at this mobo when a sad old geek - only shock is how dire the BIOS is compared to proper server/workstation BIOS' . . . . tho' the soft-FSB stuff is amusing.

Performance at 5.5x100 is quite adequate if any demanding applications are multithreaded - Nero Recode2.x [which I now use a fair bit for quick 'n dirty DVD backup instead of its DVDShrink cousin] works at damn near 100% both CPU's & deep-analyses/transcodes a DVD9 in around 90-120 minutes with all the bells 'n whistles turned on - around three-anna-bit times as slow as a dual Barton, which ain't bad at all.

Joy of the thing is you can make it really quiet: with Speedfan & Sanyo fans on Kanie hedgehogs at 65% you can't hear the thing at all from the next room - 50-60W is a heck of a difference from the 150-200W [CPU's alone] horrors I've been using recently . . . . even watercooled you can't make the sheer commotion of such things go away . . .

Glad the fun I'm having now shows - hopefully as much as has shown the fun you & your colleagues & regulars have had with their BP6' in the past.