Upgrading to Win2k3 - BIOS/ATA Questions

OS / Drivers / BIOS
Shard

Upgrading to Win2k3 - BIOS/ATA Questions

Post by Shard »

Forgive my ignorance, but I haven't done much to my BP6 and my PC in general, in a few years! I am rebuildng my box, installing Win2K3 Server on it, and had a couple questions. I am running dual Celeron 466s, HPT366 controllers - bought the board in 1999...

I see that the latest BIOS is RU. (I think the one I have right now is NJ). Is RU good, and will this still work on my system? Also, my only options for downloading RU appear to be RU without modifications, RU for 1.26, and RU for 1.28 - I however have just downloaded HPT366 1.30 (1.28 appears to be for Win2K only), so what exactly is the deal with this? Will this version (it specifically is listed as, "BP6 Modified RU - Roby 2 - Modified by Roby to include new microcode and HPT version 1.28 ) still work for me if I use 1.30? Is there a RU for 1.30? Is that necessary?

In relation to this, as I said, I've grabbed the latest HPT366 drivers for WinXP (HPT366 WinXP 1.30) - I assume these will work fine for 2K3? I also see they have HPT368 drivers, but I assume these will not work on my system? And again, as I questioned above, what should I do for BIOS?

Sorry for the no doubt stupid questions, but I haven't touched my drivers, BIOS, etc. in years!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all, I think, that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

- HAL 9000
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

I ran Windows 2003 Server for a bit. My BP6 was using RU modified by F. Mouta and HPT366 drivers 1.25.2 revision.
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
Shard

Post by Shard »

Great, thanks for the reply, sounds like everything should work fine for me!
I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all, I think, that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

- HAL 9000
redpath

Post by redpath »

Shard - Hi - you need the RU BIOS for W2K/XP to install/work properly [USB won't work otherwise].

IMO safer to use an official Abit RU rather than some hacked thing - you don't need the PIII microcode. There's an Abit beta RU w/ HPT 128 here:

ftp://ftp.mathematik.uni-marburg.de/pub ... ndex-e.htm

AFAIK the 130 drivers work with the above BIOS.
Shard

Post by Shard »

Great, thanks, sounds good. I'll grab that RU BIOS for 1.28, then use the 1.28 drivers. As long as these work on Win2K3 Server I'll be set!

Thanks again. :)

- HAL 9000
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

redpath wrote:IMO safer to use an official Abit RU rather than some hacked thing - you don't need the PIII microcode. There's an Abit beta ....
redpath: Some of the hacked BIOSs work very well.

I'm of the opinion that it's better to avoid the HPT altogether. Since the BP6 came out, the HPT has caused lots of data loss and even ruined hard disks.

I've been using the hacked BIOS without HPT firmware for the last 2 years.

YMMV and all that disclaimer stuff.
redpath

Post by redpath »

InactiveX - Hi - yes, point taken; am also using a couple of BIOS' w/ the HPT microcode removed - but did it myself. Firmware hacking has far too big a downside IMHO to entrust to someone you don't know.

As it happens, I can't see what if any difference beyond boot-time it makes having or not having this microcode in the BIOS - nothing is loaded/read by a MS OS if you have no devices connected to the HPT . . . but it is neater without.

Data-corruption blamed on the HPT? At standard FSB's?

BTW - has anyone to your knowledge managed to install W2K/XP clean onto a BP6 using a pre-QQ BIOS? [specifically PW] - if you're not using onboard USB - & dear lord ain't it a flakey USB implementation? - they appear to handle cold-boot differently [ie better if you're pushing things].

- the only time I tried was foolishly using USB k/b & mouse & the install hung at screen one . . . .
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

Hi there! Yeah, I don't know about the old BIOSs, but many people here have had trouble with the Highpoint. It has become known as the HPT3666. :)
Like BP6.com? Not a member?
Then why the hell not? It's great!
-> BP6.com Membership <-
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

redpath wrote:also using a couple of BIOS' w/ the HPT microcode removed - but did it myself. Firmware hacking has far too big a downside IMHO to entrust to someone you don't know.
Well, I trust you! Seriously, could you email me your hacked .bin files please? I'd really like to try them out.

You're absolved of all your responsibility, etc. etc. etc....