XP Pro fails to boot using latest BIOS

OS / Drivers / BIOS
sroberts

XP Pro fails to boot using latest BIOS

Post by sroberts »

I have XP Pro installed and currently use the NJ BIOS which has been fine - until I wanted to use a USB port. Windows claims the BIOS does not provide sufficient info to configure the port. I have tried flashing the QQ, RU and RV BIOS's but get the same problem every time - XP hangs halfway through the boot process. In safe mode the last file it loads is AGP440.SYS before going to sleep.

Anybody know what I have to do to get the latest BIOS to work with XP Pro?
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

Hello there!

Have a look at this.

http://www.bp6.com/board/viewtopic.php? ... light=ec10

Then let us know what your EC10 capacitor is rated at.
Like BP6.com? Not a member?
Then why the hell not? It's great!
-> BP6.com Membership <-
sroberts

Post by sroberts »

Accessing the back of the motherboard is problematic - so not sure what version the board is - capacitor is printed with AMS/1085CD/9930 if that helps. Thanks for the lead.
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

sroberts wrote:Accessing the back of the motherboard is problematic - so not sure what version the board is - capacitor is printed with AMS/1085CD/9930 if that helps. Thanks for the lead.
The mainboard revision information is on a white label, on the outside face of the ISA slot that is next to the edge of the mainboard. You can use the reflective side of a CDROM to read the information. The "AMS/1085CD/9930" information would be the Q6 voltage regulator. The EC10 capacitor sits between the two CPU sockets near the edge of the mainboard.
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
sroberts

Post by sroberts »

OK, that little sucker is hard to read. You are right - the EC10 is between the CPU sockets - previous component discussed was voltage regulator. The EC10 capacitor is 100 uF and the board revision is 1.0.
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

I would suggest, then, that you replace EC10 with a 1500uF, 6.3V capacitor.

This has been known to solve numerous problems with badly behaved BP6s, mine included.
Like BP6.com? Not a member?
Then why the hell not? It's great!
-> BP6.com Membership <-
sroberts

Post by sroberts »

OK, thanks for your help.