Site Admin

Windows Longhorn

Post by Derek »

Has anyone tried Windows Longhorn yet?
-Derek
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

I had the PDC build but it gave an installation error whenever I tried it. I can't remember what exactly; it was a few months ago.
Like BP6.com? Not a member?
Then why the hell not? It's great!
-> BP6.com Membership <-
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

Ditto. I just tried out the latest build (4053) but I still encounter a stop error during boot-up due to my ATA controller. Hopefully they’ll work on that issue soon as I don’t want to swap my drives around! :)
-Derek
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

From what I've heard, unless you're a software dev and an "early adopter" type, there's little point in trying Longhorn as most of the planned features are missing. It did get my curiosity though.

(Early adopter - I hate that phrase.)
-> BP6.com Membership <-
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

InactiveX wrote:From what I've heard, unless you're a software dev and an "early adopter" type, there's little point in trying Longhorn as most of the planned features are missing. It did get my curiosity though.

(Early adopter - I hate that phrase.)
I love playing with new OSes! :)
-Derek
Tim_K

Post by Tim_K »

To me, Longhorn sounds like a really stupid name, even if it's only temporary. I wonder who thought that one up.
See "Online Video" the internets comedy / opinion webshow, at www.loudmouthtim.com !
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

It has been dubbed "Shorthorn" now because MS is removing features from it left and right in order to be able to bring it out on schedule (which has been delayed several times).

I too love testing out new OS's and I got an MSDN account where I can download whatever I want without issues but I can't be bothered with Longhorn. MS is trying their hardest to make the PC into an appliance and I hate the restrictions that come with that. I can't see me buying an MS appliance/operating system anytime soon anyways.
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
Debian Linux stable with 2.4.8 kernel
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

purrkur wrote:It has been dubbed "Shorthorn" now because MS is removing features from it left and right in order to be able to bring it out on schedule (which has been delayed several times).
I saw this article yesterday. It explains the stripping down of Longhorn in a rather different way.

"Shorthorn"! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tim_K wrote:To me, Longhorn sounds like a really stupid name, even if it's only temporary. I wonder who thought that one up.
I believe MS always codename their nascent operating systems after towns in the USA.
-> BP6.com Membership <-
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

InactiveX wrote:I saw this article yesterday. It explains the stripping down of Longhorn in a rather different way.
OK. Then take a look at this article and you will find out that what Microsoft is promising is partly vapourware. This is not the first time either.

The funny thing about WinFS is that there is a Linux equivalent in Reiser4. Microsoft with their core of expensive programmers cannot build WinFS in time but OSS is already halfway there. Reiser4 is already in the kernel although the full functionality isn't yet in place. But the solution will be ready and up and running before WinFS makes it to the market (if it ever does).

It makes MS and Longhorn look pretty pathetic if you ask me. Longhorn looks like it will only be an XP upgrade with a prettier GUI. I would love for MS to tell me exactly what Longhorn will be but they keep changing the specs and what they say so I guess we won't find out until it is delivered. One thing is for sure though and that is that it will only be a fraction of what MS originally promised.
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
Debian Linux stable with 2.4.8 kernel
g0fvt

Post by g0fvt »

Hi, my BP6s are too busy doing useful stuff to spare them for Vista, I have an Athlon XP2000+ with 512Mb ram running 32 bit Vista, so far I am not very impressed.... maybe I am biased by having run XP for so long.

A friend also tried Vista on a 2.8Ghz laptop with 1Gb of ram, this machine runs XP well but is like a sick dog with 3 legs running Vista.

Specific niggles with both machines running Vista is the way you can get in a mess trying to use ethernet if the machine has Wifi...

Much of the gui we are used to now has stuff in different places from those we are used to....

I realise Vista is only a Beta at the moment, however it needs a lot of change to compete with XP.

Will give it a longer trial and let you all know.... incidentally I too was expecting a new OS but it seems to just be an evolved XP/NT, nothing daring, a sysagent on a website identified mine as Windows NT6.0...
g0fvt

Post by g0fvt »

oops nearly submitted twice