change IRQ in Windows XP - how?

OS / Drivers / BIOS
dvessa

change IRQ in Windows XP - how?

Post by dvessa »

i believe i have some IRQ problems on Windows XP: i have USB(via), NIC(realtek) & sound (an onboard CMI8738) all using IRQ17. This became obvious when i installed XP and WMP9 sound would come out all garbled... the NIC would turn off afer 5-15mins; when this happens i have to reboot to get another go. :( I tried instaling latest drivers but it didnt work and - only bill knows why - i cant change my IRQ settings... (makes me want my SBPro back - at least i could choose beteween IRQ5/7&9:)
then i noticed that my Windows2000 also has these same settings (IRQ17), and then i tried to install CMI's latest Win2k *on* WinXP. I know, i know... trouble is, it *improved* my situation: when playing an mp3 & copying something to the USB flash drive the sound stuters but doesnt crash! so its better, but still not good.
I solution would be to alter IRQ settings. Can anyone help me with this one? Sugestions anyone?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

think the only option is to move the cards to different pci slots, if poss.
the nic should go, unless it is an onboard.
same for the cmi sound card.

after that, check for bios settings about plug'n'play OS being used.
thinx unless it's 98/me, you use NO for NT/2k/xp (hmmm??)
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

With the more modern OSes like Win2KPro and XP, this IRQ sharing is normal. I wonder if only two of your devices are "actually" conflicting. Have you considered trying to control one or two IRQ's through the BIOS settings?
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
dvessa

Post by dvessa »

"Have you considered trying to control one or two IRQ's through the BIOS settings?"

my board is an a7v, it can only reserve IRQ for ICU(?).

"think the only option is to move the cards to different pci slots, if poss. "

the usb controler & the CMI are both onboard and they dont like each other...

"after that, check for bios settings about plug'n'play OS being used.
thinx unless it's 98/me, you use NO for NT/2k/xp (hmmm??)"

why should it be no? NO will prevent Windows from reassigning the IRQ... Ive already tryed but to no avail anyway...