The End of Motherboard Monitor (MBM)

Post by nohead »

Subject: The end of MBM

There are still people bringing out tools and plugins for MBM,
I will post all the new info below this posting,
so scroll down to see any info on new 3rd party tools

January 21st 1998 the Internet saw the 1st version of MBM v. 1.0
Juli 6th 2004, about 7.5 years later the MBM development comes to a stop

Yes you read it right, after thinking about it for several weeks I have decided to stop development on MBM. Over the years many (if not all) clones appeared that tried to do what MBM did. Some succeeded others did not. Some I feel where technically and user wise better then MBM but with an average of 6000 hits a day and coverage on almost every PC magazine in the world it still seems to be the most popular monitoring tool around. And it is better to stop at your peak :)

Before I try to explain my actions I would like to thanks a few people (in no particular order):

Chris Christo for his hard work in the forums and all the little tools he has created over the years
Claes Mellangård from 3D-EGS for the logo's, webpage, the temperature page he has created for all of you and all the moral support he has given
Chris St Amand for the IO drivers
Claude Charries for his hard work on the french help file
Derek Solarino for his overal support of MBM on bp6.com
Jonathan Teh for his help when I entered the world of smbus so long ago
KyLe mcLean and all the other people at livewiredev who took MBM for some exposure of their site, I hope MBM did the job.
Rad over at Radified for all the little help over the years
Sergio Formicola the god father of MBM
Adrian Silasi of SiSoft Sandra for his help in the early days of MBM
Tamas Miklos, from Everest and finally a fellow developer who I could share info with and also returned info
Jean Delvare from LM_Sensors with which I think we had a good relation chip sharing info where ever we could
Don Hass from dhpSoftware for all the Delphi help he gave me
Ruud Stijger who helped create MBM v. 1.0 and helped me debug when I was lost
Everybody else who mirrored MBM or in anyway contributed to it with the help of language files, testing, debugging etc. etc
And all those people I forgot about over the years :)
So why cancel MBM ? There are several reasons for this:

The industrie itself, it is getting harder and harder to get any good info from companies, Abit and the Uguru was a good example but you can alsmost put any other name in the list, getting info from ATI, VIA, SiS, Asus is as good as impossible, and so I depend more and more on MBM users to help me with info and it is just plain frustrating to keep sending mails to companies asking for info and getting no or a BS reply back.
Time, I spend about an hour a day answering mail and answering the forum, the FAQ does not stop many users from still mailing me with the same old questions. This is not just the users fault, the design of MBM could have been better but when I started it everything was pretty simple and the core of MBM is simply old, making changes to it requires a lot of work and changes.
Keeping up with the sensor world, many GFX cards come out with sensor chip, I tried the plugin method in the hope that users would pick that up, a few did but overal it was not a big success, so to keep MBM up to date I would need to do the GFX stuff myself, wich means I need GFX cards. The donation I get for MBM does not make up for that I am afriad
Motivation, 7.5 years is a long time...... :)
Now to answer the mails I will get about this post:

no it is not a mather of money, making MBM payware (which I said many years ago would never happen) does not change the above
no you can not get the source code, there is to much in there I got via NDA and I will not violate that
I will keep answering the forum and mail for a few weeks, this page will be up and running for as long as livewiredev decides.

Thank you all for using and supporting MBM over all those years.

-Alex

Source: http://mbm.livewiredev.com/
BP6 is the fun, u just can't stop it...
Sky isn't the limit, I am.
loophole

Post by loophole »

Well that just sucks.

Although I did notice that at the top of the list of "sites I like" is our own BP6.com :D

loophole.
Still kicking along with the Abit BP6 :-)
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

loophole wrote:Well that just sucks.

Although I did notice that at the top of the list of "sites I like" is our own BP6.com :D

loophole.
Yeah, Alex is a great guy! He put a lot of hard work and effort into MBM and MBM has helped the community out a lot.
-Derek