Creating the perfect kernel config for the BP6

OS / Drivers / BIOS
lazlo

Creating the perfect kernel config for the BP6

Post by lazlo »

hey there,
i'm just about to compile a new 2.6 kernel (once again) on my bp6 an thaught about, wouldn't it be cool to have a perfect preset kernel config for bp6 (-user) needs?

how where your experiences with specific kernel options (for 2.6) and there advantages or even disadvanteges while running a bp6 system. i could image some of you might also could use a kernel config optimized of bp6.

maybe you want to write a post to this topic with some kernel options you use (only relevant for the bp6 mainboard or speed/quality improving with hardware that can be used with it)
maybe we could build a cool config together?!

greets, lazlo

BP6 / 2x 500Mhz Cel. / 768RAM
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

Hi Lazlo, Welcome to BP6.com!

As you may know, parameters are still being added/deleted to the 2.6 config and I have also heard that using a config file from an older 2.6 on a more recent 2.6 might cause you grief because of all the changes that have happened.

Are you talking about using the latest and greatest?

Anyhow, as you might know, there are only a handful of necessary kernel options that will be specific to the BP6 and I could list them out just fine. However, getting a "one config fits all" for the kernel won't be optimal for most users. The reason for that is that we all have different graphics/network/sound/SCSI/USB/etc adapters in our computers. The second reason (for example) is that someone who uses his BP6 machine in a VPN setup will have different kernel requirements from someone who doesn't. Also, if someone has done hardware tweaks to his machine, the kernel setup will be different. Another reason could be that someone who uses his BP6 as a server might not want to build a kernel based on modules.

However, I think I know what you are getting at. I think the best idea is to create a template .config file with some explanations on how to get it tweaked for your individual BP6. I just have to upgrade my BP6 to 2.6.7 (or maybe wait for 2.6.8?) and then I can post something on this.

What distro do you use BTW?
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
Debian Linux stable with 2.4.8 kernel
lazlo

Post by lazlo »

hehe, that was exactly what i meant. no doubt, it wouldn't be very smart so have a fix kernel config for all users! just the settings important to bp6 (tweakers and "normal" users) should be listes with comments on what they effect.

rightnow i'm using debian sarge/testing with the 2.6.7 kernel image from a official apt source. if works fine but i would link to opimize as much as possible so increase my system performance.

have you made your kernel your self? with options did you use? (only for bp6 or other seedup options)
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

Hi lazlo! Welcome to the site :)
-Derek
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

Im thinking about leaving Billy-software and trying something else for a while. Im limited on time so threads like this one scare me.

Oh well, I aquired Mandrake (ver 9.1 i think) a while back.

I have also kicked around the idea of BeOS.

Anyone what to give an opinion on where I should go from W2K-pro?
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

Lazlo: I have been rolling my own kernels for a few years now. Started fooling around with it when 2.2 was the latest stable. I usually download them from www.kernel.org and work them myself. I haven't used the Debian kernels at all actually. I am running Debian unstable myself.

I am definitely interested in setting up a "build-a-BP6-kernel howto" type of document but it would have to be good. I think it would be unwise to put something out there that isn't clear, even for newbies, because it could cause confusion and unnecessary problems if the documentation isn't complete. That might take a little longer but the idea is good!

davd_bob: I got just the thing for you. I got myself a new toy at work (an older Xeon/SCSI workstation) and so before putting what I really want on it I decided to download a few distros and check how far they have come in their development, especially on the desktop.

I tried the usual/regular distros and was bored by most of them. None of them did a complete job on this workstation I had and I always had to tweak and tune before getting everything working. No big deal for me but for Joe user it would be a nightmare.

I have been reading a lot about one of the Linux desktop distros that cost money, called Xandros. They are supposedly very good and the distro is what many sceptics have been calling desktop ready. Well, it costs so I haven't bothered until I found out that they have this free version as well that doesn't include the stuff you really have to pay for (like crossover which allows you to run things like MS Office and so on). So I downloaded it and installed it. A few clicks and about 20 minutes later it was installed.

I was simply amazed! EVERYTHING worked! It even configured the printer that I was closest to in the building which is being served off a Windows printer server (after a few clicks that is). And get this, we work in a mixed environment at work (Unix/Linux/Windows) and so we got a Windows (SMB) network and an NFS setup as well. Xandros configured that all for me so I could open up the file manager and browse all of those shares in both SMB and NFS.

What I find negative (from my perspective, remember that) is that because this distro is so complete, they have really tied things closely together. It is pretty hard to use if you want to use cutting edge/unsupported stuff because it might break things. But remember that this comes from someone who likes to tweak and tune (and mess things up once in a while!).

I would definitely recommend Xandros. Especially for new Linux users that want to try Linux out. If you want to download this one CD ISO image then you can find it here:

http://pub.datux.nl/iso/xandros-201-ocd ... lation.iso

This link should give you a fast download time. If you want to buy the distro then it will give you software so that you can run many of your Windows software packages. I have tried it and it works really well.
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

purrkur,
Many thanks.
I used to like tweaking myself when I was a DOS guru. I might pick it up pretty easy but to much stuff in my personal situation at home...my wife would through away my BP6 if I spend to much time trying things out. Xandros sounds like the ticket for me if I can get it. Thanks for the link, I will see if one of the IT guys at work will burn a cd for me.

lazlo,
thanks for the thread.
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

davd_bob wrote:purrkur,
Many thanks.
I used to like tweaking myself when I was a DOS guru. I might pick it up pretty easy but to much stuff in my personal situation at home...my wife would through away my BP6 if I spend to much time trying things out. Xandros sounds like the ticket for me if I can get it. Thanks for the link, I will see if one of the IT guys at work will burn a cd for me.
No probs. That is why I would recommend Xandros, so you can try out Linux without having things break and not being able to fix them. I am sure you will pick up on Linux just fine but it is my experience that once things don't work, people get frustrated because they need to have an environment that feels like what they are used to so they can do their stuff as usual. When things don't work you need patience and time which isn't always what people got loads of, especially when dealing with a new environment where they need to train a new way of thinking/doing things.
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd