which distros suppport smp?

OS / Drivers / BIOS
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

hyperspace wrote:
purrkur wrote:But my offer still stands on the Debian install once their new release comes out of beta. Who knows, if enough people show interest I might ask for a specific forum for it.
At the very least, I think you should be the Moderator of our Linux forum! All in favor, say I!
OK, the I's and the AYE's have it!

purrkur, you are now the Moderator of the BP6 Linux forum. Congratulaltions! :peace:
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

Allright! Thanks guys! I will keep you posted on how things are going with the next Debian stable release and once it has gone gold I will start my "Debian on BP6 howto".

Since I got two BP6 my aim will be to set up one as a desktop machine and the other as a "headless" server without a GUI. My aim will be to set up Debian from a single CD that will build a minimal Debian installation (the smallest functioning Debian installation is somewhere between 300 and 400 MB in size). From there I will show how you can install just the things you want (and not what the guys building the distro want you to to have). Through all of this I can do mini howto's on useful commands so you can get comfortable with it all.

Let me just say as a footnote that while Debian has become easier, it is not as easy or user friendly as ready made distro's as Ubuntu. Debian is great if you want to learn Linux, learn how your computer works, learn the command line and a moderate amount of tinkering :)
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
Debian Linux stable with 2.4.8 kernel
hugoc

Post by hugoc »

Hey, I'm glad to hear that purrkur's the moderator. I would have voted aye, but I didn't view the thread in time. But I would have voted for him anyway.

Now as to Billl, I think you're being a bit unfair.
You tell me I downloaded more then I should have but never say a thing about what I should have done.
Firstly, if you look back through this thread and others on this very forum you'll see the names of quite a few newbie-friendly distros bandied about: Ubuntu, Mepis, Knoppix, Yoper, Fedora Core, Mandrake, Xandros. Not only that but if you'd gone to Distrowatch you'd have found a ton of information on over a hundred Linux distros and after maybe half-an-hour of reading you'd have an idea of which ones would suit your needs.

Secondly, it's not exactly our fault that you downloaded 15 CDs without knowing why! I think if you'd asked in any forum or even Googled you'd have found not only that Debian isn't a good newbie's distro, but that Debian Stable is not recent enough for desktop use. If you are going to do things like download 15 CDs of software without doing even a little research first, you don't have much right to complain about the results!
One of the earlier posts on installing Gentoo is a good example listed below
Gentoo is definitely not a newbie's distro and has absolutely no pretensions of being one. I would understand if you had a gripe that Xandros or Linspire were cryptic since they are marketed at complete Linux newcomers, but you picked the most difficult and expert-oriented major distro in existence to complain about!
Thats a typical answer you get when you do actually ask a question.
Now this is really unfair. I've posted my fair share of help requests on Linux forums and nobody has ever given me a bunch of compiler flags or anything obscure like that! Almost invariably, the instructions are easy to follow. The unofficial Ubuntu guide is a great example - it's concise, easy to follow but hard to mess up.
BP6, RU BIOS, 2*Celeron 366@550 1.9v
2*GlobalWin FEP32, 512MB PC100 CAS2
GeForce DDR, CMI8738 audio, Accton SMC2-1211TX NIC
Ubuntu Linux, Kernel 2.6.8.1-4-686-smp
Billl

Post by Billl »

hugoc wrote:Now as to Billl, I think you're being a bit unfair.
I did say I was in RANT mode.:rude: I wasn't even really picking on you guys anyway. Just Linux users in general. And mostly I was just letting off steam try not to take it too personal. I'm well aware I'm biting off a bit much but then thats usually how I do things. With high speed cable the 15 cd's aren't a big deal anyway. Only took a few hours. I really want a scource based Linux even if it is a bit harder for a newbie to do.
purrkur wrote:Allright! Thanks guys! I will keep you posted on how things are going with the next Debian stable release and once it has gone gold I will start my "Debian on BP6 howto".

Since I got two BP6 my aim will be to set up one as a desktop machine and the other as a "headless" server without a GUI. My aim will be to set up Debian from a single CD that will build a minimal Debian installation (the smallest functioning Debian installation is somewhere between 300 and 400 MB in size). From there I will show how you can install just the things you want (and not what the guys building the distro want you to to have). Through all of this I can do mini howto's on useful commands so you can get comfortable with it all.

Let me just say as a footnote that while Debian has become easier, it is not as easy or user friendly as ready made distro's as Ubuntu. Debian is great if you want to learn Linux, learn how your computer works, learn the command line and a moderate amount of tinkering :)
I really look forward to your howto Purrkur. Be nice to have someone you can actually ask questions of as I build my box. I just hope you take time to explain things in plain english. I'm mostly interested in the desktop box since I have no need of a server.

Billl
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

Billl wrote:I did say I was in RANT mode.:rude: I wasn't even really picking on you guys anyway. Just Linux users in general. And mostly I was just letting off steam try not to take it too personal. I'm well aware I'm biting off a bit much but then thats usually how I do things. With high speed cable the 15 cd's aren't a big deal anyway. Only took a few hours. I really want a scource based Linux even if it is a bit harder for a newbie to do.
No worries. I remember when I started out with Linux, documentation and help was a lot harder to find because there were less people seriously using Linux as their daily OS. At times I felt really frustrated because I didn't have the time to fix things or didn't find anybody to help me out with my problems. But in the end I always did and I also found out how to think, where to search and who to ask in order to learn more and be more productive.

Please remember that anything Linux coming from sources like Slackware, Debian, Gentoo and Yoper comes from people like you and me who are not getting paid a cent and they do not work with it fulltime. They do it because it is a hobby, passion, interest or belief (or all/some of the above). So when you criticise something like you did with the Gentoo example you mentioned, you should also be aware that Gentoo probably has the best documentation out there of any distribution and it is all in there. But instead of just saying "RTFM" to the person asking, I tried to help and I forgot someting. In my opinion, he should be RTM in any case and he figured out what it was all about probably while doing just that. I can also mention that the parameter he mentioned (the "j" parameter) won't break your system in any shape or form if you get it wrong. It will just make it less efficient when compiling code. If you would find such an issue with a distro coming from a Linux company then I would fully support calling their helpdesk and bitching them out :)
Billl wrote:I really look forward to your howto Purrkur. Be nice to have someone you can actually ask questions of as I build my box. I just hope you take time to explain things in plain english. I'm mostly interested in the desktop box since I have no need of a server.
Yep, my aim and goal is to get the show on the road and after awhile everybody should be able to help everybody. I can do this stuff in two more languages but I guess everybody agrees that plain english should be the language used :) Desktop will be what I do first.
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
Debian Linux stable with 2.4.8 kernel
Wolfram

Post by Wolfram »

I know Billl's feelings concerning Linux users. Especially "experienced beginners". They remind me of some fellow students I met when I was studying law. You start studying that and you know nothing (of this strange view of things). Six months later, you know a little more than nothing. But these guys thought they were ready to explain life, the universe, and everything.

On the other hand, why should that keep us average Windows users from trying Linux?

I recently installed Fedore Core 3 and this is finally a distribution I could imagine to work with. I'm a journalist now and doing office work on my BP6. Mainly because I like to really use such a nice board *fondling the BP6* and because the system is almost silent.

Like purrkurr said, KDE 3.3 is really much snappier than 3.0 oder 3.1 (whatever I tried before) and it feels as responsive as Windows 2000 even on this slow PC.

The install is easy, given you want to have GRUB in the MBR. Like FC2, FC3 still offers you to install the bootloader on a linux partition instead of the MBR, but it has not bootfloppy option. So you can install Linux but you can't boot it. I had to copy the boot sector to a file with the bootpart utility.

All I miss now is an option to convert my Outlook data to the KDE PIM format.
BP6, RU BIOS, XP SP3, ACPI, 2x366@523(1,95V), Pentalpha HS + 1x 12cm fan @5V, 768MB, Powercolor Geforce 3, RTL8139D NIC, Terratec EWS64L, Samsung M40 80GB (2,5''), LiteOn CDRW