Do ATI drivers make use of SMP?

OS / Drivers / BIOS
loophole

Do ATI drivers make use of SMP?

Post by loophole »

I've searched trhough the forums but I can't find an answer to this question that is recent: I found a post that said they're NOT optimised for SMP but the post was over a year old.

So, I thought I'd ask the question again:
Do ATI drivers make use (or are optimised for) SMP?

By this I simply mean: are they multi-threaded like nVidia's drivers?

Thanks,
loophole.
Still kicking along with the Abit BP6 :-)
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

I'm sure ATI would make it clear if their drivers did support SMP as it's a good selling point. Don't take my word for it, but I don't think their drivers are SMP optimized.
-Derek
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

The game utilizing the driver would also have to be SMP optimised (multithreaded that is) to take advantage of a driver that could use more than one CPU. Games are usually not multithreaded...
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
Debian Linux stable with 2.4.8 kernel
loophole

Post by loophole »

I'm not sure if it's possible, but I was hoping that in the case where you were using a video card that couldn't do hardware FSAA the driver could do FSAA on one CPU and the normal operations it would do without running FSAA on the other CPU. In this way any game, even single-threaded would still benefit from SMP drivers.

I actually have no idea how SMP optimisation of drivers works though. This is just a little theory I cooked up :D

How does SMP optimisation of drivers actually work?

Thanks,
loophole.
Still kicking along with the Abit BP6 :-)
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

A driver is just a piece of software built for a specific purpose (just like any other software). There is no real difference between writing a multithreaded driver than a multithreaded application. I guess what a multithreaded driver does depends on the software developer writing the driver and what he wants to accomplish.
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
Debian Linux stable with 2.4.8 kernel