OS install issues now!

OS / Drivers / BIOS
guppergoo

OS install issues now!

Post by guppergoo »

Ok, I have moved to a new house and in the process had to shut down the bp6, obviously. After a few months I have had time to pull it out and have decided to switch to a hdd disk containing Clark Connect for a web/ftp/fileserver config that is easy to manage and deploy. I also wanted to setup a new xp disk in case the Clark Connect turns out not to be my cup of tea.

It seems that some of the IDE controllers have gone all crazy on me. I cannot connect more then 1 device to the primary IDE without it conking. I have even tried to use an Ultra 66 card, a modded FastTrack 66 card, and a ata 100 card with no luck. After about 20hrs of work I managed to get XP installed but none of my Linux/Clark Connect cd's will auto load from cdrom no matter what I try. I am totally confused. I have never had these sort of install issues on any other computer before.

I was thinking of upgrading the bios, and trying a larger PSU. Right now its a 250watt with dual 366's OC'd to 550, 16mb agp, lan, hdd, cdrom, floppy. I have removed all sticks for RAM except for 1 256mb.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Todd
jaybird

Post by jaybird »

That PS is WAY TO SMALL!

Seriously, do your self a favor, get a 350 to 450 watt unit, you will not regret it.

I had same problems and some of it related to the PS. It got flakey on me, voltages ok but started to hum! Have you tried different drive cables? It may sound stupid but look for the obvious!

With dual 366's @ 594 my 300 Sparkle was iffy, now with dual 1100's @ 1205, 768 meg ram, 20gig+60gig hdd's, G400 AGP, SBLive Platinum, SCSII card, 10/100 NIC, WinTV Go! and a multifunction Firewire, USB, RAID card plus 4 optical drives my 450 is hard pressed!

Regards,

jaybird