Cant get SMP to work right

OS / Drivers / BIOS
Snugglebear

Post by Snugglebear »

What size capacitor is in EC10 (right above and between the sockets)?
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

What is the power wattage rating of your power supply?
300W=marginal 350W=decent 400W=good 450W=no worries!
Snugglebear

Post by Snugglebear »

You can get away with running the bp6 on far less than a 300w PSU. I've even run it with a CD, DVD, CDRW, and a couple 10k rpm SCSI drives with a 220w supply. The only difference is in quality, the higher quality PSUs being the ones that can keep the 5 & 12v rails stable under high load.

Anyway, you may have to do some surgery on the bp6. I was lucky enough to have a *fairly* stable board with Win2k and a 100uF cap in EC10. After modding for dual 850s I replaced it, and once I just used all SCSI in that machine again it's perfectly stable. Look up Yochiro's mods for the bp6 and it will tell you what revisions of the board to watch for and what caps and voltage regulators to beware of and/or replace.
tomatoeboy

Post by tomatoeboy »

with the computer disconnecting from internet/network are you on dial-up or a broadband connection? If its broadband & you get your IP automatically run "ipconfig /renew_all" (I think) from the command prompt & that might solve the problem for you without having to reboot.
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

I'm sure the reason some can't find Yoichiro's site is that his name is spelled differently every time I see it :?

http://geta.yoh-tech.com/eng_top.htm
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

You should focus on the H/W first.
What are the core voltages with (2) CPUs running - and what CPU temps?
Are you using only the onboard hdisk controllers? Any SCSI or RAID card?