Why are my files disappearing?

OS / Drivers / BIOS

Why are my files disappearing?

Post by Jordan » Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:54 pm

I've noticed this on both my BP6 and P3; however, my p3 is having more trouble.
Once upon i time i had to use System Restore for some reaseon, and after using a restore point a week earlier, i had lost all the recent files in My Documents that i had put there after the restore point!
I figure with that situation the deletions were because System resore is a dirty liar and DOES delete files. Yet my other programs were fine...

Now today I discovered on my P3 system that some soundtracks i copied to my music folder and some flash movies i saved to videos have disappeared completely from my computer. I'm concerned because this might happen to important stuff like schoolwork -WAIT-
Having said that I remebered I just did a BIG project and saved it in my documents. I looked for it and IT IS GONE TOO! Luckily I already handed it in, but the fact remains: MY FILES ARE DISAPPEARING!!!

I doubt that spyware or viruses are the culprit, i have fully updated software. This is really annoying considering i spent a lot of time finding and doing the stuff that's being deleted.

Does this ever happen to anyone else?
The collector of the old and unwanted.

Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave » Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:13 pm

check the \root directory for
\found.000 entries
if your drive is playing up and losing entries, you will be getting unbound disk sectors
which will be found by scandisk

System Restore deletes files...

Post by nullshark » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:20 am

I changed how System Restore acts on my system (5 drives) because I noticed that it would undo changes since my last restore... It would "undo" all the changes since the last restore (like, uninstall programs, undo directory changes, and erase new files).

I now only have System Restore monitor my system drive and NOT monitor my data drives, so when I go back to a previous restore, nothing is changed but my Windows setup (I never keep data in "My Documents" or "My Pictures," etc.: if System Restore isn't monitoring my data drives, it can't !#@%$ stuff up when I go back.
On a torpedo to Hell
ASRock 939 Dual Sata II mobo--2x 2200+--2GB RAM--ATI x800XL--2x Seagate Cheetah 15K.3s on LSI 20160 HBA--WD 400GB Caviar RE2, Maxtor 300GB, 3x Maxtor 120+ GB = 1.1TB storage--Sony Dru-820A DVDRW--Diamond Xtreme 7.1 sound--Win XP