Running Vista On Older Hardware

OS / Drivers / BIOS
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Running Vista On Older Hardware

Post by InactiveX »

Ars Technica have published an article detailing their experiences of running Vista RC2 on older hardware.

Click here

Although they don't use anything as old as the BP6, it will give you some idea of what to expect. Most notably they say that running Vista on less than 1GB system RAM was not the most pleasant of experiences.
Like BP6.com? Not a member?
Then why the hell not? It's great!
-> BP6.com Membership <-
KliK

Post by KliK »

f. word for the Windows Vista and the 1GB RAM issue...they did that with the Win 2000/XP, when 256 was normal RAM...
and the Win NT worked with 64MB nice...Win 98 with 16MB...Win ME with 16/32MB...

i'm sticking with the old one WinXP....work fine with 512MB and everything is fast, even on the BP6...
so why switching?!
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

Not quite sure what you mean. Are you talking about MS's recommendations? The tests Ars did were independent and regardless of "official" requirements.
-> BP6.com Membership <-
KliK

Post by KliK »

I know...the recomendation for WinXP is 256MB RAM...minimum of 128MB (althouh it works on less!)...

but it really works great on 512MB RAM or more!!
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

The more memory, the better. A stick 512 of PC3200 locally is 70CAD. I stick to a minimum of 1gig of RAM as much as possible.

768 in the case of the BP6 :D
-Derek
KliK

Post by KliK »

Derek wrote:The more memory, the better. A stick 512 of PC3200 locally is 70CAD. I stick to a minimum of 1gig of RAM as much as possible.

OK Derek...but in the case with Vista, 1GB is for system use only!!
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

KliK wrote:
Derek wrote:The more memory, the better. A stick 512 of PC3200 locally is 70CAD. I stick to a minimum of 1gig of RAM as much as possible.

OK Derek...but in the case with Vista, 1GB is for system use only!!
:eek:
-Derek
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

Maybe not so, actually. OSNews have tested Vista RTM (build 6000) on a PentiumM 1.73Ghz with 512MB RAM, and report that this version is a good deal faster than previous builds.

See the article here.
-> BP6.com Membership <-
KliK

Post by KliK »

that is an article from my mom or it could be!!

c'mon guys...OK, maybe the final Vista will be better, faster and with more drivers...but the guy hardly spoke about HDD consumption of swap file, consumption of RAM, how much the graphic card battled with the (we know now!) "nice" Aero...

lets be techincal with the articles a little?!
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

Klik, Klik, Klik: Please note the first word in my post: "Maybe".

I haven't tried Vista RTM, and I take it you haven't either. Until we have, then this is all speculation at best.

OK?
-> BP6.com Membership <-
KliK

Post by KliK »

OK...

just mentioning that we keep on track...
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

After reading the Ars Technica article I don't even want to try VISTA anytime soon.

What is there to gain over XP anyway?(or W2K Pro)

Never mind. I just found the post on:
"How to choose Windows Vista version" or whatever its named.

I read that article and was quite unimpressed. If I remember correctly XP wasn't that great until SP2 with MS making a real attempt at security. I expect that Vista won't be worth paying for until atleast SP1.
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

I can only really see avid gamers upgrading in any significant number. It looks like MS will be forcing users towards Vista by making future DirectX upgrades Vista only.

As a music producer, there are some interesting developments to the Windows audio stack and user mode API that I keep meaning to look at in depth.

We shall have to see...
-> BP6.com Membership <-
madd1

Post by madd1 »

davd_bob I am with you!! Why pay all that money just to use a computer?? What is the big deal anyway! Call me when we get to sp2!!!
"Practice is the best of all Instructors" - Kakarot
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

I want my dos 6.1 sound drivers for win98se so i can play my old games
cries
Billl

Post by Billl »

KliK wrote:f. word for the Windows Vista and the 1GB RAM issue...they did that with the Win 2000/XP, when 256 was normal RAM...
and the Win NT worked with 64MB nice...Win 98 with 16MB...Win ME with 16/32MB...

i'm sticking with the old one WinXP....work fine with 512MB and everything is fast, even on the BP6...
so why switching?!
Wow, finally something we can agree on.......LOL

Billl
KliK

Post by KliK »

Dave Rave wrote:I want my dos 6.1 sound drivers for win98se so i can play my old games
cries
i just finished my latest project:
a SLOT1 board with Celeron 333, 64MB SDRAM, 170MB HDD for DOS & 10GB HDD for games...also with some ATi graphic card with addon memory with Voodoo1 for glide, and for sound i have SB16...

X-Wing
Tie Fighter
here I come!!
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

KliK wrote:
Dave Rave wrote:I want my dos 6.1 sound drivers for win98se so i can play my old games
cries
i just finished my latest project:
a SLOT1 board with Celeron 333, 64MB SDRAM, 170MB HDD for DOS & 10GB HDD for games...also with some ATi graphic card with addon memory with Voodoo1 for glide, and for sound i have SB16...

X-Wing
Tie Fighter
here I come!!
Just so this doesn't become a thread hijack... :)
Try Vista Bata2. :) :)
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
g0fvt

Post by g0fvt »

My old BP6s are running OpenBsd and XP pro respectively. I put Vista RC1 on the G/Fs laptop and on an old Athlon XP2400+

The Athlon has 512Mb of ram and the laptop 1Gb and some sort of AMD 3000+ cpu.

From what I can observe many of the best features of Vista are not available on the 32bit version. The thumbnailed views of minimised windows on the taskbar are very handy particularly when you have a number of browser windows open on the same website making it difficult to locate the correct one.

Vista seeemed to be a bit obsessed with Wireless networking and once used wirelessly seemed to be tricky to force to use a wired connection, just finger trouble I am sure but easy in XP.

I have done no real work on Vista but I am convinced none of my existing PCs are up to the job. The machine I am using right now is a VP6 with 2Gb of ram and the Microsoft upgrade advisor suggests using a 32 bit Pro version of Vista.. it seems happy with all the hardware however helpfully points out that my disc controller is not supported!

I guess later in the year I will build a 64 bit machine up to run Vista, on reflection I have run Windows XP Pro on BP6s and the VP6 longer than I have run any other OS on any other hardware........
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

g0fvt

i can say the same thing about Win2K

i think this machine can run vista (ok maybe not the video card.. but it's getting replaced soon anyways)

and im still running 2K... i don't think i want vista until the price of thumbdrives comes way down..

did you know.. a neat feature to windows Vista.. you can use a USB thumbdrive as added ram on your computer...
!!! WARNING !!!
The following forums: www.bp6.com
are infected with the following VIRUS(s): Kuun.infected.all.posts.Win2K.user

The following IRC servers has been exploited: irc.bp6.com
with the Following Exploit: Kuun.lurks.using.mIRC.v5.82.exploit
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

kuun wrote:did you know.. a neat feature to windows Vista.. you can use a USB thumbdrive as added ram on your computer...
I tried it, but my USB stick isn't fast enough. All the reports I've heard say that it's not worth it anyway.

Microsoft's ReadyBoost page.
-> BP6.com Membership <-
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

InactiveX wrote:
kuun wrote:did you know.. a neat feature to windows Vista.. you can use a USB thumbdrive as added ram on your computer...
I tried it, but my USB stick isn't fast enough. All the reports I've heard say that it's not worth it anyway.

Microsoft's ReadyBoost page.
give it some time.. wait until our thumbdrives are capable of sustaining highend speends..

well that.. and it doesn't actually work like RAM.. it's more of a HDD cache of the most commonly used files.. windows vista is designed to allocate the most used into the memory bank..

the new SSD/HDD hybrids do the same thing.. they use a large solid state storage for the OS and it's files.. and uses the disk for massive storage..

as i read.. if you have a little bit of USB memory.. it can speed things up.. if you have butt-loads thats when you really see the difference.
!!! WARNING !!!
The following forums: www.bp6.com
are infected with the following VIRUS(s): Kuun.infected.all.posts.Win2K.user

The following IRC servers has been exploited: irc.bp6.com
with the Following Exploit: Kuun.lurks.using.mIRC.v5.82.exploit
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

Convert this puppy to a USB device :arrow: http://www.samsung.com/PressCenter/Pres ... 0000332936#

:D
-Derek
KliK

Post by KliK »

kuun wrote:g0fvt
did you know.. a neat feature to windows Vista.. you can use a USB thumbdrive as added ram on your computer...
i would like to put the USB flash as a SWAP DRIVE on my comp...but some articles out there says that it won't last long!